SCANDISK starts at every reboot -

Fredledingue

Lesson learned: Believe what your computer is telling you. ;)

Well, NO. :realmad:

Corollary:

Unless it is a MS Operating System that has a long history of issuing in MOST occasions a meaningless error message comletely UNrelated to the actual issue at hand.

In other wordss ALWAYS DOUBT, and check twice (and thrice) before trusting an MS OS :whistle: , or ANY other OS :angel or ANY advice you get on a technical board :ph34r: .

Happy problem is (for the moment) solved :).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Fixing a problem like that can easily take longer than making and restoring many backups.

I subscribe to this idea, too. A backup library is an invaluable asset.

I second (or third) this. That's why I make periodic Ghost backups of my OS partition especially before any major system change and/or app(s) installation. It's saved me numerous times. At the very least, you should make a full registry backup beforehand.

Edited by Prozactive

Unless it is a MS Operating System that has a long history of issuing in MOST occasions a meaningless error message comletely UNrelated to the actual issue at hand.

In other wordss ALWAYS DOUBT' date=' and check twice (and thrice) before trusting an MS OS , or ANY other OS or ANY advice you get on a technical board [/quote']

You will want to note that I refered to messages and reaction by the computer before Windows (the MS OS in question) loaded its crap out.

FDISK was running under DOS, the last half-decent OS owned by M$ but not created by them.

You will want to note that I refered to messages and reaction by the computer before Windows (the MS OS in question) loaded its crap out.

FDISK was running under DOS, the last half-decent OS owned by M$ but not created by them.

.... ALWAYS DOUBT, and check twice (and thrice) before trusting an MS OS :whistle: , or ANY other OS :angel or ANY advice you get on a technical board :ph34r: .

;)

jaclaz

Oooops! My computer had another freeze up the other day and the same problem came back... even worse!

First I wasn't able to turn on my computer again: no scandisk, nothing, just a bunch of errors, windows protection error and the likes. Press any key to continue had the power turned off. Yeah...

That's not all: It took me 3 boot floppy disks to have one working. One generated a string of errors, the other failed to see the drive C:. Finaly the ME boot disk was successful in launching scandisk.

The first time I had this problem, scandisk found one bad cluster. Now it found 6 additional bad clusters in random files.

It's wierd that files which were not written or read during the crash are suddenly corrupted.

Important: When the crash happened, in both case there was extensive work on the E: partition of the same physical drive. This drive has the partition E: and C: on it. D: being on a separate physical drive.

On both cases I was working with large files (more than 100Mb) but with other applications, not related to each others. The first time it was during a recording and editing session with Audacity, the second time it was after downloading movies with WinSCP (an HTP clients) and watching these movies with MP Classic + ffdshow.

Nothing extraordinary. I do these types of operation for years without problem. Yesterday I watched these movies without problem. Normaly these softwares don't cause me any worry.

I'm afraid my hard disk drive is about to die.

It's wierd to have bad cluster poping up on drive C: while working on drive E:...

Or can it be another problem?

It's wierd to have bad cluster poping up on drive C: while working on drive E:...

Or can it be another problem?

No it's not weird, think about heads and platters, the more you work on E, the more all heads move above the platters, some of which are above partition C and one of whom at least is causing physical damage IMO, I'd image the drive immediately and replace it if I was you.

Am I right in thinking that you have one hard drive partitioned into logical drives? If yes then what is happening to one logical drive is happening to all the logical drives because the PHYSICAL drive is breaking down (Knackered bearings causing wobble resulting in the heads hitting the surface?)

As Loblo is saying, time to back up and get a new drive fitted

I followed your advice ASAP because I had another crash the other day. The geek at the store's backroom did a clone of my HDD to a new one. + he cleaned the dust off the MoBo because my computer is in a very smoky environement in winter(while I'm in another room).

I'm now up and going again. Time will tell.

The HDD was only 3 and 1/2 years old, a Western Digital. Wierd. But ok, I'm not going to complain

I don't know how to tell him to stop that. I ran the normal dos scandisk and the windows scandisk both once and the problem is still there.

Scanddisk can be stop (gpedit.msc) but it is not safe for hard disk. You can try a dos command.

chkdsk /f d: (here d is your harddrive.) If this command requires Y/N (Yes/No) just press y and enter. Then simply restart your pc. It may stop your scandisk problem.