Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPlode 1.00 development reference thread

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
wow - this looks fantastic! i've not been around much recently (uni work getting harder, gotta stick in!), but when in about a month i'll have some real time to perfect my windows cd :)
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
actually, I had a problem with 4.4 from CD, but ran fine with 4.3

and just as a side note, Wraith has stated before that the GUIInstall function isn't really working....

but I'll try both versions in 4.2 and 4.3 later
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
Not required to ask this until now, but what would happen when I 'filecopy' a file, and the target already exists?
 <file command='filecopy' file='GUIsetup\tweaks\UltraISO.exe' target='#PROGRAMFILES#\UltraISO\UltraISO.exe' />
In this case, UltraISO.exe already exists in the larget location, would it get overwritten, or does XPlode ignore the above command and go ahead to the next item?

I've been using something like this for those situations, until now
 <file command='filedelete' file='#PROGRAMFILES#\UltraISO\UltraISO.exe' />
But when I'm migrating my code, I might as well do it with max. efficiency - which is why I'm asking the above question.

BTW, wraith, did you see my previous post today? I saw your recent posts of yesterday, but I did not want to move to XPlode until its ready (I'm already checking out rc5 now, but it won't go into my official unattended CD). Is the dir operations bugs (when run from CD) fixed as yet?
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
@prathapml:
1.00rc5 *IS* the production version, just without documentation.
The thing wouldn't run from the CD for the same reason directory operations wouldn't work on the CD - it could not iterate through and find the files. When I switched to using plugins, I used the same method - it couldn't iterate through, and hence, XPlode could not run. I've fixed both things now, so all should be good.
Also, filecopy etc. delete the target file before copying over.

@johann83
I'll look into it. I remember putting code in, but I mustn't have linked it in properly.

@shotgun
The registry tag format is EXACTLY the same as a *.reg file- essentially XPlode writes this data to a temporary file, imports it into the using the regedit /s "filename" syntax, then deletes it. So you can copy things straight out of your reg files, and theoretically, it should work. I haven't had any problems here.
As for the subitem count, I'm going to be putting that where the current total count is - it's kinda redundant with the total progress bar and all.

@bombtrack
I havne't touched GUIinstall since I first implemented it - it's low on my list of priorities. There's a difference between the methods of drawing for XPlode and the XP gui installer, which is giving weird resizing issues. There's no fix planned.

Any other issues? I think, after looking at the dirops, and finishing the docs, I'll put 1.00 full up for download.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
i haven't had any errors so far. I believe its 1.00 ready, and I haven't seen the 3 \'s anymore (never really had a chance to look at that from a CD perspective till now :) )
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
Hey, my query about file-copying (just above wraith's) got lost in all the excitement - could someone see that and tell me please?

BTW, wraith, GUIinstall in XPlode works fine if you follow a trial-and-error method to get it to occupy the whole screen - though, of course, a fix would be good.
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

stinkywea

stinkywea

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
OK Just a quick question...while reading the "how to install" I noticed this is what is mentioned

1.) From cmdlines.txt, inside the [COMMANDS]section
Add this line to start XPinstall using the default XPInstall.xml file. This file MUST be in the same directory as XPinstall.
"%systemdrive%\Install\XPinstall.exe"
Add this line to start XPinstall using an alternate XML file, such as Test.xml
"%systemdrive%\Install\XPInstall.exe /x:#Systemdrive#\Install\Test.xml"
    Take note to the fact that the second "Systemdrive" has #'s symbols surrounding it instead of the customary %'s. This is by design

Whenever I extracted the file it is XPlode.exe instead of XPinstall.exe...my question is in cmdlines.txt should it be like this...

[COMMANDS]

"%systemdrive%\Install\XPlode.exe"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

Or should it still be XPinstall. btw, I am using RunOnce to install Office on a 2nd CD, that's why it is still there.
I have Xplode in C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\ I assume that is right

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Hey, my query about file-copying (just above wraith's) got lost in all the excitement - could someone see that and tell me please?

BTW, wraith, GUIinstall in XPlode works fine if you follow a trial-and-error method to get it to occupy the whole screen - though, of course, a fix would be good.

Last sentence of my response to you :)

What kind of fix do you want for GUI install mode? If it's simple, I may implement it before going to 1.00 full.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts

What kind of fix do you want for GUI install mode?

No, it works pretty well for me - needs 2 minutes of testing, that's all. I suppose some major re-work of screen output in GUIinstall is needed - so I can't expect it in 1.0. It's about needing to see how many items there are (with -1 items shown) and see how many pixels should be "fixmain"ed to fit in with the 800x600 GUIsetup of XP - not worth the effort on your part to re-code it, when the solution is simple.

And, sorry saw the dir-ops reply now.
Also, is there any solution you can think of to my post (page4), or is it that the only thing I could do is to move my *PRODUCTION* uA CD to XPlode ? (yes, I know, rc5 is production quality too).

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
@stinkywea
the how to needs alittle updating, but all thats really needed is to change XPInstall.exe to XPlode.exe

It was written before XPlode was called XPlode

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
@prathapml
just got around to testing your XMLs. I got the same errors, but what i found strange is that when i commented out the config section all together, I didn't get a single error

tested with 4.2, 4.3, 4.4

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

is there any solution you can think of to my post (page4), or is it that the only thing I could do is to move my *PRODUCTION* uA CD to XPlode ? (yes, I know, rc5 is production quality too).

Not really, I couldn't track it down.
I'd say move to XPlode, only because I know the code (being away from XPinstall has made me forget where everything is)
If you're still getting problems, then ask about them here. As far as I know, all those issues SHOULD have been cleared up.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
1.00 released :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image