Weird installation issues - Unfinished installation?

Jirka (George)

Hi,

I have problem with my nLited installations, they looks unfinished or so.

What I mean - I have set the classic instalation + black background, manually added IE8 + updates and .NET3.5 SP1 in SVCPACK, but they aren't installed, IE8 only if WU is kept, .NET wil not be installed (but it lasts some time, like it is being installed) and at first boot + logon (aut. into Administrator account) I can see black desktop, like desktop during installation and when I change it, after restart it is here again, but once again it will be OK.

I checked the Program Files and there only few folders (yes, i have lite install but some folder stays in every configuration...), sometimes there's a ie6 files in Internet Explorer folder(in CD with IE7 directly integrated + IE8 svcpack :blink: ), or nothing in the folder, with WU service is IE8 installed.

Others missing folders are: msn gaming zone, Windows NT, Online Services, etc. Also messenger folder shows that messenger is installed, but i deleted it in nLite :huh:

I don't want to use that XP, i want so solve the problem, but I tried the CD from which I succesfully installed system from with I'm writing now. It also have IE8 (with IE7 slipstreamed), .NET 3.5, no suspiciously deleted folders and correct saving of user settings, also it have normal blue desktop color, at the first logon but I installed it on test HDD (i tried 2) - and the same problem occurs again, every time I install it. I tried several nLite installation, but still the same problem.

I'm attaching Last Session.ini, but it's in Czech language, i hope it's not complication, otherwise Google translator helps.

POSLEDNÍ RELACE.INI

manually added IE8 + updates and .NET3.5 SP1 in SVCPACK
Why do that when there are add-ons that will do the trick for sure? BTW, a lot of the errors in these logs are related to IE.

The most obvious things in your Last Session.ini are:

System Restore - don't remove it, it throws a lot of weird errors (personal experience)

Rootsupd.exe - Cannot be integrated like this

Sometimes hotfixes also throw errors if their name is different, like KB2345886-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe. If there are any IE8 updates here, do not add them in this section. You've also made a lot of changes to System services; I hope you know what you're doing.

Out of Box Experience (OOBE) - use search for issues with Activation if OOBE is removed

I don't know if it's the online translation, but I've never seen a line like this

Target = System, M Windows XP Professional SP3 - 5.1.2600.5512 - United

It should be more like

Target = Windows XP Professional SP3 - 5.1.2600.5512 - English (United States)
. Please provide more info on the CD; is it some kind of OEM or Recovery CD?

Cheers

Hi, thanks for reply.

I did very lite instalations in the past, like 115MB ISOs and I never had problems like these.

Rootsupd.exe - why not? It will not run in the "component registration" section at install, like others? BTW nLited integrated it like that.

If there are any IE8 updates here, do not add them in this section. You've also made a lot of changes to System services; I hope you know what you're doing.

Why not add IE8-updates in svcpack? About services, yes (do you see there any problems/mistakes?), but I only want to know, does need IE8 installer any service (like WU or something else)?

These Windows are corporate, Syst‚m Windows XP Professional SP3 - 5.1.2600.5512 - Czech (in orig. last session) stands for System Windows XP Professional SP3 - 5.1.2600.5512 - Czech - this is OK, very known small problem with diacritics, it is in every Windows XP (with diacritics).

Why do that when there are add-ons that will do the trick for sure?

I never had problems with it and I don't see any problem with it. But now .NET will not install (however, installation delay for a while, like it is normally installed, but it will be not, I only found the language packs installers copied in userprofile folder).

I want to integrate postSP3 updates + IE8 directly via "Nonno Fabio And OnePieceUniversal UpdatePack/Addon Creator INTL" (DXUPAC.exe), but I have problems with it, it will not finish, it stays stucked at packaging. I will start another thread about it.

Edited by Jirka (George)

\rootsupd.exe

\MSInstaller4.5-WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe

Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-CSY.exe

These are not standard updates. I don't think nLite will slipstream them.

Also, I did a comparison of your updates vs my list @ http://xdot.tk/updates.html and there are quite a few discrepancies. You may want to investigate the differences. Here's a small portion...

diff.png

Some may be OK. Some may be outdated (look at my Obsolete Updates list).

WindowsXP-KB975254-x86-CSY.exe will not slipstream correctly due to a filename problem.

You are missing all the WMP updates. You need to use the /integrate command with these. See here as to why.

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-CSY.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB954155-x86-CSY.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-CSY.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-CSY.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB978695-x86-CSY.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB2378111-x86-CSY.exe

I've attached a txt file containing my update list that you can use for side by side comparison. Just open a command prompt in your updates folder and type dir /b>updates.txt to generate your list.

updates.txt

Edited by -X-

Here is my list of updates. I integrate WMP11 + updates with WMP11Slipstreamer (from boooggy & n7Epsilon) before nLite. And according to this list and MS Bulletins none of them (wmp11 upds) are obsolete.

EDIT:

... WindowsXP-KB975254-x86-CSY.exe will not slipstream correctly due to a filename problem. ...

There is a ftpsvc2.dll, if i process it with other updates with DXUPAC, there will not be any problem, right?

upd.txt

Edited by Jirka (George)

• 2 weeks later...

So here is the resume:

I did two another compilations in nLite, both without any updates (so updates aren't the problem). Difference was the first has original IE6, WMP9 and the second installation has WMP11 (via WMP11 integrator) and IE8 (manually via svcpack).

Both still have the same problem, first logon >do anything >reboot >desktop is again black Even for new created user. In the second installation is in svcpack .NET Framework 3.5 and it again fails to install properly.

Attaching LastSession.ini i used, contents of Program FIles and one of the log (singleline) of .NET installation.

Last Session.ini

dd_dotnetfx35error.txt

post-144052-0-61129300-1305877004_thumb.

post-144052-0-65584700-1305877011_thumb.

Edited by Jirka (George)