Windows XP repair

Hello,

Writing to ask for help to solve the next problem with XP installation.

From the beginning of the story:

There are a number of workstations from Dell (about 100 ) where Win XP have to be repaired (here I mean exactly repair, using the function of repair in the Win XP setup, starts with pressing "r" button ).

On most of that workstations CD/DVD drive is not installed so I cant use the Dell CD with XP on it. So I decided to try usb-flash.

Transcend JF V30 /2 Gb was chosen as a container for installation.

I`ve tried different app-s to make it bootale with installation available (WinSetupFromUSB, PE....etc)

After I managed to solve problem with BSOD error at the installation startup (After the the message "Starting windows" appears) by changing the NTDETECT the installation became available.

So now I could proceed with installation itself. Its good news for me. But after I accept licence agreement I`m transfered straight to the menu where I should choose the partiotion to install without notifying the another copy is already installed (This menu I want to reveal somehow, because it contains the "Repair option").

Please help me !!! =)

P.S. I tried to modify the WINNT.sif but it does not help=(

Have you tried to select the partition the OS is installed on? The next screen should give you the options to creat, delete partitions. There is a repair option there too. Thats the one you want. It will simulate an install. Don't worry it does NOT destroy files. It overwrites the OS files only.

Have you tried to select the partition the OS is installed on? The next screen should give you the options to creat, delete partitions. There is a repair option there too. Thats the one you want. It will simulate an install. Don't worry it does NOT destroy files. It overwrites the OS files only.

In this case the installation starts......yes it leaves the files but the route to user profiles, software links.....etc are lost. In case of repair option that I try to reveal, only some system files are reinstalled that all necessary options/links are safe

Edited by Seraphim

Does the winnt.sif have an [unattended] section? If so, you need to remove it for the repair option to be available.

Does the winnt.sif have an [unattended] section? If so, you need to remove it for the repair option to be available.

It does not help, already tried.....

Here is the screen of the menu I`m fighting for

post-323576-0-91451200-1305033561_thumb.

Edited by Seraphim

Have you tried WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta 7?

Did you try the firadisk or winvblock methods?

My guess is that you used usb_multiboot, usb_prepare or WinSetupFromUSB 0.x.x. version, they would show repair option only if you have installed Windows using them and did not change boot.ini afterwards. The reason Repair doesn't work is that at start of Text mode Setup seeks for Windows installations by reading boot.ini on the local disk and using the arcpath in it, typically rdisk(0)partition(X), first disk according to BIOS boot order.

But you boot from USB, rdisk(0) is now your USB disk, there is no Windows there, hence no repair screen. rdisk(1) is where now your Windows is. You may include an extra line in boot.ini on the local disk. Just copy the default line and change rdisk(0) to rdisk(1).

Or just try the methods mentioned. And make sure there is no Unattended section in winnt.sif, even an empty one.

Have you tried WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta 7?

Did you try the firadisk or winvblock methods?

My guess is that you used usb_multiboot, usb_prepare or WinSetupFromUSB 0.x.x. version, they would show repair option only if you have installed Windows using them and did not change boot.ini afterwards. The reason Repair doesn't work is that at start of Text mode Setup seeks for Windows installations by reading boot.ini on the local disk and using the arcpath in it, typically rdisk(0)partition(X), first disk according to BIOS boot order.

But you boot from USB, rdisk(0) is now your USB disk, there is no Windows there, hence no repair screen. rdisk(1) is where now your Windows is. You may include an extra line in boot.ini on the local disk. Just copy the default line and change rdisk(0) to rdisk(1).

Or just try the methods mentioned. And make sure there is no Unattended section in winnt.sif, even an empty one.

I`ll try tomorow and post the result .....thanks for useful advice