Windows network card installed but no internet?

kay here is the problem. The computer is great, the OS looks okay.

The built in card which is a VIA ryne, that is built into the baord.

AMD Athon XP Thoroughbred 2400+ 1.99Ghz.

736 MB of RAM

VT8235 ( board name )

( cycle time trans ( 6clck )

x86

Part of the problem was caused by me, with barely enough space in the computer that resulted in it reseting at random. So I probably overwrote some files, or damaged files. I tried reinstalling but nothing worked at all.

I have to install the OS again, since I don't know what is causing anything.

I believe the problem was in the directives.

If yu can't read this, then Idk. I am looking for changes in the registery, Anything that could damage the win98OS from using the internet. Internet settings, =?? mispelled anything.

Edited by Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa

So I went back to my old computer with entirely different Win98 setup.
What's that supposed to mean? What's an "entirely different Win98 setup"? Your post provides insufficient details... The only thing you've provided is "wiring appears ok and XP works ok"...

I have two computers with win 98 installed on them. The one

with the clean installation I use to browse damaged installations, and

the one I use for work, internet, play, etc.

I just checked my backup 98 machine, and it is working wonderful.

I don't want to pop my standard machine harddrive into the old machine.

Basically I switch between the same monitor in order for me to browse the

internet.

I am trying to avoid a clean installation.

the one I use for work, internet, play, etc.
Hardware differences, Unofficial Updates, anything? There's obviously some difference that you've overlooked and are not reporting here. Again, insufficient information - "I have two with different setups but one has network failure" hardly qualifies. You've already stated "one is clean and works" so the OTHER must be "unclean", right? KernelEX, anything? Beuhler, Beuhler?

It's broke, what's wrong? You used Diesel in it, instead of Unleaded maybe? (an analogy)

Help us to help you...

P.S. It's unnecessary to do a "clean install" since Win9x also has the (potentially) ability to do an "Over-the top Repair Install" (although it may not work) just like XP (that also may not work). Rename WIN.COM to WIN.OLD and INSTALL (the method used)! DISCLAIMER - again, may or may not work.

Edited by submix8c

Between the two setups their is nothing differnt, asides one that has tweaks, and twacks that I do not want to do over again.

I attempted to reinstall windows 98, on the problematic machine, and it still has the problem.

Explorer is unable to open a search

I even renamed the Win.com to Win.old and nothing changed at all.

I 100% believe it is a problem with the Registry files. Since that is where I go to slove my problems without reinstalling Windows, most of the time.

I also believe it might be a maleware virus, or some kind of invalid entry.

i think it might be a new virus or maybe something was deleted, or edited that is required by web browsers. Maybe it is connected but goes to the error screen for some reason.

Edited by Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa

1 - Win98 or Win98SE?

2 - Full, OEM, or Upgrade version?

3 - PC's are EXACTLY the same hardware?

4 - What is the problematic Network Hardware Make/Model/Type (whatever)?

5 - What "tweaks"? (What do you mean by this - Unofficial Updates, Reg Edits, what???)

6 - Deleted files/folders to make space? WHAT files/folders? (not System-type hopefully)

7 - What Protocols are installed in Networking (e.g. NetBEUI, TCP/IP)?

8 - Automatic Detect IP or manually set?

9 - Router? How is it set up? Or is it a Switch? Or is it Dial-Up Modem?

10 - Got a Firewall installed? AntiVirus?

11 - Try reinstall of the "failing" Browser?

12 - "Your network card is not correctly setup." <- The EXACT message?

== re - "winipcnfg" failure indicates SOMETHING is missing or "broken"

== re - "reinstall": Renaming WIN.COM to WIN.OLD is to allow (usually an OEM version) booting from CD to reinstall all "missing or corrupted" Windows components without loss of other software installed, and/or loss of Data, and/or prior Registry settings, and/or (etc).

== re - #12 The correct Drivers installed?

On and on and on. Again - you provide nothing but "generic" information.

So... sorry, without some kind of specifics no-one will be able to assist in your recovery endeavor.

Edited by submix8c

Buy a real copy of Windows ME off ebay. One that has a "certificate of authenticity."
Uh-uh! The OP already has Win98 (98SE?) (Retail/OEM/Upgrade?) so has no need of an extra WinME. Also maybe does NOT have another HDD to go with. Also, already has "vast amounts of installed stuff" on the PC in question and does NOT want to start from scratch.