Is UniExtract still being Developed or supported?

geosoft

I'm really interested in finding out what the current status of UniExtract is.

It's been quite a while since the last update was released and Nitro seems to be on the missing list.

He apparently isn't replying to PMs either although I must admit I don't check back here very often.

This is a great little App and deserves to be continued. I see bug reports which apply to x64 systems and others that apply specificly to Win 7. None of these would appear to be major issues and should be easily solved.

I'm already in the midst of cleaning up and updating the .au3 source, strictly on a part-time basis. If it's not still being developed then I may dig in a bit further and see what I can do with the other issues/requests.

I downloaded Goras package and extracted it.

I replaced all the files in the bin\ folder but I am reluctant to replace the exe file at this point.

My reason is this, I already have a re-compiled file that contains experimental code I've been playing with and some major changes for speed and efficiency. The only links I find on his page are links to Russian sites and my Russian language skills are non-existent. I won't replace my exe file without first seeing the AutoIt source that Gora is using. That way I will be able to look and see what if any of the changes I've made should be incorporated into the new source.

UniExtract has always been open source and when you have multiple people working on an open source project or people making changes to an open source project then the code should always be made available.

From what I gather, save your .exe somewhere, copy gora's .exe in the folder and test it against whatever you want to throw at it. If you don't like it, all you have to do is undo the copy.

As for copying everything into the Bin folder, I was also doing that yesterday and I noticed some of the versions in gora's version are of a date older than those already in my Bin folder, so I approved/cancelled one at a time.Edit: the story continues... all those files in my Bin folder had the same date: 04Dec2006, so I realized that was the date of compiling the installer.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know the official status of Universal Extractor but I can say another guy has updated it with some fixes and features (the best is automatic updates)

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8201

Can someone who is able to download the latest version from there.. Post them here for us to use also. English version please, say this as i see ui has changed a bit, looking forward to using them. Post as many and as often as you can not only keeps this forum section alive, but also means nitro will be following and maybe join in again at some point. Dare we say even a collobaration may occur bringing the two together.

Also do please suggest to Gora to name the packages unofficial version. Like was done previously when someone did previously which Nitro was ok with as long as it was renamed. The one in the thread mentioned has __s2__ is not the same as naming it as 'unofficial version' which makes it clear what it is. Actualy it would better Not doing so could well pee of Nitro and that is something i' sure none of us would want to do. He never said no last time and i think he does welcome other input as long as is renamed.

Not the first time Nitro has gone quiet and i doubt won't be the last. If need to contact Nitro you could email or visit his forum here http://legroom.net/forum.

Also anyone recently compiled a new UserDB.txt should be 5mb or more by now. Known that Bob has run away from the peid project for whatever reason he had. But even on his pages are no new UserDB.txt updates. Do hope he is putting his time now to better things such as writing unpack database for antivirus and other such softwares to use, for years we have need that. Since what they know now and for many years is sod all, reason many of have need to unpack files with universal extractor. Besides seeing what is inside before instaling, like useless bho's, toolbars,spy dlls, advertise dlls and rest of the rubbish that installers can hide.

Edited by exogenesis