dotnetfx20 download wont install

After performing a fresh re-install of my O/S WindowsXP SP2 MCE2005, I updated to SP3 without any problems . Have installed many updates off the Windows update web site . When trying to install one of my applications that works with a piece of hardware I have a Pertelian X2040 RSS feed LED display I recieved a prompt during installation that I needed the .NETFramework 2.0 in order for the application to run I currntly have only .NETFramework 1.1. I went ahead and downloaded the 22M.B.app. however after saving the download to the My Documents folder when trying to open and install I recieve a error notice that MIME file type not reconized . After many internet searches which always lead me to a registry app that I must buy that claims it will correct the problem with opening the MIME file associations ? Can any one help me install the dotnetfx20? I still have the download sitting in the folder hoping to find a way to install it so I can use my Pertelian !

Thanks in Adavance to All

NicRic

FYI> Dell XPS400 2.8GHz Dual Core Intel Pentium D 3G.B. of DDR2 RAM internial Saumsung 250G.B. Hard Drive ,320G.B. Externial USB Sagate Free Agent Hard Drive, ATI X300SE Hyper Mem PCI-E Graphics,ATI TV Wonder Elite PCI TV Tuner Card

Edited by NicRic

The download link for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is this http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe and the size is 23.8MB. I don't know why you would have any problems with MIME associations on a fresh install, especially since this is an .exe, not some .mp3 association that media players fight over. Try unpacking it in a folder (with 7-Zip, for example), run Setup.exe and see what happens. It's very possible that you have a corrupt download or a partially downloaded file.

Cheers

In Windows Explorer I found a .NETFramework folder which contains many files related to the .NETFramework ver 2 application . Iam curious which one of these files may start the application install . I have Windows installer ver 3.1 and 4.5 ? As you can tell Iam not on the up and up when it comes to software trouble shooting . I found that I can work well with hardware in PC's,installing etc. Yet when it comes to working with software Iam for the most part at a loss ? Thanks for your reply to my post. Another ? is thru a comand prompt is there a way to check what version of MCE you have installed . My OEM CD supplied by Dell says "Reinstallation DVD Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2", yet I've seen areas in my file system where it will list ver 2004 ? Just curious that perhaps they are one in the same ?

Thanks Again ,Nick

Sure, open the Run box and type winver

If I were you, I'd do some searching in the MCE sub-forum. I faintly remember something about some files showing lower versions after MCE was upgraded to Service Pack 3, something like version 3.0 with SP2 / version 2.8 with SP3.

I am curious which one of these files may start the application install
I'm afraid you can't just double-click a file and hope for the best. If the .NET services are started and running after install, the application should be aware of the presence of .NET Framework on the system.
I have Windows installer ver 3.1 and 4.5
You can have them both as install files, but only one on a running (live) system. But I'm pretty sure anyone, if installed, should do the trick. If in doubt, install v.4.5.