Permissions

ericargyle

Root of drive is DEPT. In drive is MATH, ART, and READING. I want members of said groups to have modify rights on all contents in the folder, but not delete the folder itself. I've tried giving DENY rights on DEPT for THIS FOLDER ONLY and applying the special permission DELETE SUBFOLDERS AND FILES. I figured this would take precedence over a potential delete, but doesn't seem to do so. Even with the rule, users can still delete the folder. What is the proper way to accomplish this? Hopefully this post makes sense.

Some practices are to set up a hidden file in the each folder with different rights but that doesn't deny users to move all others files there. The good practice there is to have backups (like windows shadow copies) in order to be able to restore the folder fast. Perhaps someone has a better solution.

I my whole career of 5 years working as an Microsoft Systems Administrator I never seen or had to use deny before. If you don't want that someone can delete a folder just don't use the Modify permission.

I would use the special permissions and give them what they need there, and put on inherantance, and If another folder underneath the folder needs an extra group just add it. But don't try to break the inhertance otherwise you will have a hard time troubleshooting in the further.

This might be helpful for you:

File and Folder Permissions

Manage Permissions

By the way, the delete subfolder and files is not included in the modify permission.

Edited by shadowman