Garage sales are an American institution. They take place usually on Saturday mornings between 7 and 12, in some areas also on Sunday, and people who want to sell their junk put it in front of their garage and place signs at street corners with arrows to their garage. Variations of garage sales are neighborhood sales, where a real estate agent organizes around 30-50 garage sales close to each other.
When I have time, I enjoy going to these garage sales, asking people whether they have old computer stuff, software CDs or anything related to Windows 98. Very often people then bring out old computer stuff which they had not yet thought of selling.
I usually come back from these garage sales with a couple of interesting finds related to Windows 98. I will post here some of the finds, maybe others can give an idea on whether the find was just junk or a little treasure, or what to do with the find. Another good source of Win98-related stuff are swap meets, but garage sales are more enjoyable.
Example: About a year ago I bought at a garage sale for $15 a binder "Microsoft TechNet Plus CD Subscription", with about 130 CDs between Sept.1999 and July 2000. No idea what to do with it, it's been sitting in a box since then, but it may contain interesting stuff related to Win98.
Here some finds in the garage sales of the past 3 weeks:
May 7, 2011
- an unopened box of 25 Polaroid Blu-ray BD-R disks, from a sales rep who was selling his samples, $5, to experiment with Blu-ray under Win98
- an old Realistic (=Radio Shack) Bulk Tape Eraser, "Intermittent duty: 1 min on 20 min off", could that be used to destroy the content of old hard disks before disposal?, 25 cents
similar item: http://cgi.ebay.com/150605538740
- a CD with Plextor Manager Utilties 96 v1.73 and drivers, 20Jan1999, (DOS, Win9x). No idea whether it would be of any use for a Plextor PX-712A (has Mount Rainier DVD+MRW, CD-MRW), which I may eventually get, I currently just have a Plextor PX-716A, in a shoe box full of old CDs for altogether $1 (there was also MS Office Standard 2007 and some other newer stuff in there). Some info: http://www.cdrinfo.c...?ArticleId=6104
May 14, 2011
- 5 CDs with CorelDraw Graphics Suite 11 (last version which runs under Win98), 50 cents http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000069LH8/
- a SmartDisk FlashPath adapter for SmartMedia cards, which goes into the floppy drive, plus the driver CD,
probably just junk, because it's too slow and needs 2 small batteries, no DOS drivers, just Win9x drivers, 25 cents http://cgi.ebay.com/120675591196
May 21, 2011
- 2 CDs with MS OfficeXP Small Business (last version which runs under Win98), $1 http://cgi.ebay.com/200609633630 .
- 2 pieces of 512MB RAM, PC3200, Kingston 400MHz (it's much easier to install Win98 with just 512MB of RAM, and then, after the installation, make the required adjustments and replace the RAM with 2x1GB), $5 altogether, I paid too much http://cgi.ebay.com/170643248672
It would be interesting to know what good Win98-related junk others find.
Edited by Multibooter, 22 May 2011 - 02:47 AM.