very low copying speed on network : help ?

Ben_j

I just put a Raid 0 configuration on my home server, and installed a fresh new 7.

I start copying my backuped files to the server, it goes at ~60MB/s, which is already a bit disapointing because it's not better than the speeds I had when I only had one HDD on the server.

Then a few minutes later I copy another directory, and it won't go past 30MB/s. I tried with a lot of files, big iso files, it's still stuck at 30MB/s

More info on my configurations :

Server : RAID 0 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB (one has 32MB cache, the other has 64... Could it be related ?)

PC from where I copied the files : RAID 0 3x WD Caviar Blue 640GB

So, in theory, the speed between both PCs should be around 100MB/s. I was already at 80-90MB/s on large files when the server only had one caviar black. And I checked, the speeds are normal when I copy something locally on the server...

Any ideas ?

There are a lot of things to take into consideration, such as the OS and RAM on both the client and the server? Also what are the RAID Controllers? What about the network topology? What NICs are in each system and what kind of switches are you using?

And to answer your other question, you shouldn't be mixing up drive types in a RAID configuration. The main reason besides poor performance is the increased possibility to an instable array. I always recommend RAID Edition drives (or server class for other companies besides WD).

I wouldn't necessarily compare network transfer rates to local ones. The fact that your copy speed is normal on the server only points out that your array isn't in something other than a Healthy state. Besides, if there was something wrong with it, the RAID software would have been telling you so... you did install that right? ;)

I wouldn't necessarily compare network transfer rates to local ones. The fact that your copy speed is normal on the server only points out that your array isn't in something other than a Healthy state. Besides, if there was something wrong with it, the RAID software would have been telling you so... you did install that right? ;)

I did, and I'm wondering if it's not coming from there. The copy rate was fine before I installed the chipset drivers.

As for the specs : ASUS AT3N7A-I, Intel Atom dual core 1.6ghz, nvidia chipset, 4GB memory (for some reason only 3 are usable...). They're both in gigabit lan, connected to a simple D-Link 5x switch. The network itself is not the problem since it always worked fine before.

Currently, I'm copying 500GB of data at 17.93MB/s, the rate is stable and didn's change for the last hour :/

EDIT : I changed the option to use only 40 bits crypting instead of 128. It seems to have sorted the problem

Edited by Ben_j