Graphics Issues after theme application

Figment

Ok, I'm going to try and describe this as best I can. If I can get a screenshot of what is happening, I'll edit my post.

I applied a theme to XP a couple weeks ago. Turns out I didn't really care for it, so I reverted back. However, in order for this theme to work I had to "patch" windows. I wasn't worried as I've done this before.

Everything was ok, until I reverted BACK to my standard default theme.

Now, my windows are sometimes "ghosting" through other windows.

For example: In firefox, I'm on a webpage. I go to download something. The download window pops up. I click back on the main window, placing the download window behind the main window.

After a couple of seconds, the download window will PARTIALLY pop back to the front. If I move my mouse over it, it starts to "scrub" the window in, showing more and more of it. Almost like I'm erasing something in Photoshop.

I can't for the life of me find a fix for this.

This happens in any browser, not just firefox.

My video drivers are up to date. Firefox is up to date as well.

I know it's this stupid patch I had to apply. But there's no add/remove for it.

Any ideas? I'll be forever in debt.

*EDIT*

I got 2 screenies of this issue:

http://just-stuff.net/graphicsglitch.JPG (The blacked out portion is a download from a clients FTP, not info I just want floating around out there. :)

http://just-stuff.net/graphicsglitch2.JPG

I also didn't edit the images to remove my second monitor....so yea, they're a little on the large size.

Hope someone else has had this problem and fixed it...

Edited by Figment

This is happening because Windows isn't setting a priority to drawing the screen besides whatever else it is doing. Have you rebooted since making these changes?

1. What is this "patch" you are referring to?

2. I see your Firefox has a custom theme on it. Does this happen in other browsers, or have you also tried resetting to the default theme?

3. Have you tried updating video drivers?

This is happening because Windows isn't setting a priority to drawing the screen besides whatever else it is doing. Have you rebooted since making these changes?

1. What is this "patch" you are referring to?

2. I see your Firefox has a custom theme on it. Does this happen in other browsers, or have you also tried resetting to the default theme?

3. Have you tried updating video drivers?

1. It was some graphics patch that was "required" in order for the theme to work. And I've since deleted the theme, so I can't remember what it was called. I can check my recycle bin, see if it's still in there.

2. No, no custom theme on Firefox. It's the default. Yes, this happens in all browsers: Internet Exploder, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

3. Yep, video drivers are current. Even tried rolling them back.

Maybe UXTheme? I've used custom themes before and never had to rely on the uxtheme patch, but I see a lot of people on the boards talk about it.

That doesn't sound like the one. I'm at work right now, but am going to see if I still have the original download.

I've checked Add/Remove programs for it and it's not there.

I've considered a Windows Repair, but that always makes me nervous.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I did a Windows Repair tonight. Still having the same issue. There's a new release for my video card drivers. Going to give that a shot, however if anyone has other ideas PLEASE share them. This is driving me nuts, but I'm NOT going to format my hard drive over this.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I should probably clarify this problem a little.

This doesn't just happen when I have a browser window open. It happens with any window in general. For example: I might have Photo Shop open. I go to save a picture. The Browse Window opens to choose where it's going, and this bleed effect happens.

In this case, I can't minimize. The only choice is to hit Escape to cancel the browse window, or drag the mouse around in the area of the window and let the window get "painted in" a little so I can hit save.

This happens in other scenarios also. It's completely random.

It HAS to be something within windows as I just upgraded my computer: New MoBo, New Video Card, etc. The only thing I didn't change was my Hard Drive. But I did the Windows Repair and that still didn't solve the problem.

I'm hoping someone has an idea because this is driving me bonkers.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird, I didn't get an Email that someone had replied.

I think you mean TAB/Space to navigate around? Yes, it still works, only I can't see it. What's happening is the window shows up "on top" of other windows for a second, but then behaves like it's been pushed to the back. Except it hasn't. Once you begin moving the mouse around the area of the window, you start to "draw in" the window.

I wish I had video of this. Next time it happens, I'm going to try and fire up Camtasia and do a screen record of it.

It's really getting annoying and there HAS to be a fix besides formatting my hard drive.

Windows repair didn't work....

Someone HELP!

Edited by Figment

I looked at your second picture again. Usually, this type of behaviour can't be captured in a screenshot because the problem occurs while rendering the video. This is because Windows doesn't actually "see" what you are seeing.

Have you run sfc /scannow

Alt+Space example: http://i53.tinypic.com/15zqvco.png

Alt+Space is the same stuff as clicking Window' Icon, but it works even for most iconless window, unless the apps specifically denies it.

a good legacy from 16-bit windows.

There should be only one windows service that interfere with GUI which is "Themes",

that i disabled anyway as i no fan of non-classic interface

Is there any weird services that interfere with your system?

also:

try fiddling with Hardware accelleration Slider in Display Property | Advanced | Troubleshoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Figment,

I am encountering what seems to me to be identical to what you're experiencing/describing. I'm not at all familiar with what your doing per "themes", but it's not something I've done at all; thus I question whether that's the cause even, and may instead, be as was it seems the case with me, it's merely coincidental? Regardless, just a shoutout to let you know someone else is experiencing the problem.

On the coincidental aspect, I got both a video card and Windohs XP update (typical security updates?) and it was after rebooting that I eventually noticed the problem (I've referred to it as having "bleeding" windows ie aspects of the windows appear as you mouseover where the window should be appearing but isn't). I've since found another latest video card driver update, but after installing it this week & rebooting, nothing's changed. I had also upgraded my versions of both Firefox and Thunderbird, so I had all sorts of suspects going. At this juncture, I've not been convinced it's those programs as the culprit, as it seems to be happening across the desktop at any given time.

I too would appreciate any assistance in resolving this (pain in the arse!) :angel It becomes quite pesky, aggravating & even frustrating after hours/days of working with it happening.

Perhaps comparing more specifics which we might have in common would help the process of elimination?

I too have a screen cap I can get up if needed/requested (and I then figure out how to best do that in this forum).

VC: Nvidia GT 220

Edited by drsvp

Figment,

I am encountering what seems to me to be identical to what you're experiencing/describing. I'm not at all familiar with what your doing per "themes", but it's not something I've done at all; thus I question whether that's the cause even, and may instead, be as was it seems the case with me, it's merely coincidental? Regardless, just a shoutout to let you know someone else is experiencing the problem.

On the coincidental aspect, I got both a video card and Windohs XP update (typical security updates?) and it was after rebooting that I eventually noticed the problem (I've referred to it as having "bleeding" windows ie aspects of the windows appear as you mouseover where the window should be appearing but isn't). I've since found another latest video card driver update, but after installing it this week & rebooting, nothing's changed. I had also upgraded my versions of both Firefox and Thunderbird, so I had all sorts of suspects going. At this juncture, I've not been convinced it's those programs as the culprit, as it seems to be happening across the desktop at any given time.

I too would appreciate any assistance in resolving this (pain in the arse!) :angel It becomes quite pesky, aggravating & even frustrating after hours/days of working with it happening.

Perhaps comparing more specifics which we might have in common would help the process of elimination?

I too have a screen cap I can get up if needed/requested (and I then figure out how to best do that in this forum).

VC: Nvidia GT 220

Well in that case perhaps the Theme application is just a coincidence. I just noticed it started happening after applying the Window Theme patch. I've also noticed my color schemes are changed a little. But not in the actual display settings. An example: I play Minecraft. The game launcher's Login and Try Offline buttons are near unreadable because the text is in black on a brown background. The text is supposed to be white or gray. (I've verified this both at work and on a friends computer) So maybe this could be a clue for someone else.

Short of formatting my hard drive (Which I may be doing soon anyway) I've not found a fix that works for this. I've tried repairing windows, video card drivers, etc. Nothing seems to work.

also:

try fiddling with Hardware accelleration Slider in Display Property | Advanced | Troubleshoot.

OK, the proverbial jury's still in a bit of deliberation, but after trying this, it seems my system has stopped the bleeding (ghosting/scrubbing)!

I basically moved the slider back one notch/increment, then Applied it. I monitored it for a bit, experiencing no bleeding windows, and have now gone back and put the slider to full. So far still so good. It appears from my brief test, and thus far, that merely moving the slider jarred something back to normal?? (my suspicion now is that something in my first video card driver update may have put a glitch into play, and that moving the slider simply put it back into sync somehow; tho the OS update may have been the glitch culprit --we're after all talkin' WinDOHS! Themes being in the same general arena could have triggered it here for you as well?)

Figment, have you tried this yet/at all? Again, it looks promising -thus far- here... I'll keep you posted if it reverts back...

**update**

note the struck-through lines above; after resetting the slider back to Full, I experienced the issue again; argh! I now have it back one position wherein the problem seems (?) to have resolved again... (the position information includes: "Disable cursor and bitmap accelerations. Use this setting to correct problems with the mouse pointer...")

Edited by drsvp

also:

OK, the proverbial jury's still in a bit of deliberation, but after trying this, it seems my system has stopped the bleeding (ghosting/scrubbing)!

I basically moved the slider back one notch/increment, then Applied it. I monitored it for a bit, experiencing no bleeding windows, and have now gone back and put the slider to full. So far still so good. It appears from my brief test, and thus far, that merely moving the slider jarred something back to normal?? (my suspicion now is that something in my first video card driver update may have put a glitch into play, and that moving the slider simply put it back into sync somehow; tho the OS update may have been the glitch culprit --we're after all talkin' WinDOHS! Themes being in the same general arena could have triggered it here for you as well?)

Figment, have you tried this yet/at all? Again, it looks promising -thus far- here... I'll keep you posted if it reverts back...

**update**

note the struck-through lines above; after resetting the slider back to Full, I experienced the issue again; argh! I now have it back one position wherein the problem seems (?) to have resolved again... (the position information includes: "Disable cursor and bitmap accelerations. Use this setting to correct problems with the mouse pointer...")

Seems like I tried this once before, but now I can't be 100% sure as this has been going on for some time....and I've tried so many things. So I'll give it another go and we'll see what happens.