Convert XML file to text file

MelForC3

I have some result file from vb which is XML file. I wanted to view it in notepad which appear as text file . Is there any converter from XML to .txt?

I've found a few but it's not working. Anyone can help?

Im not sure whether im posting the right thing at first. The file i have is .trx extension which i run in Visual Studio. I open with notepad, is a xml script.

Trying to convert .trx or maybe can say as xml to the readable text file.

Im reading the url u given. Million thanks.

Mind providing the xmlparser.exe url? sincerely appreciated

Mind providing the xmlparser.exe url? sincerely appreciated

This particular file has disappeared from the Homepage:

http://www.f2ko.de/

(the site has been reworked and maybe it is a case of MIA during restoration)

I am attaching it (together with the small batch that I made at the time for the particular xml DriveImageXML creates and the base64 decoder)

You won't need these, but the batch may give you some ideas, the xmlparser writes to file "results.tmp", you can run it then open results.tmp with notepad.

jaclaz

DixmlreadD.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jaclaz,

the unit test result file seems to appear as .trx but the format in the file is xml.

So, Does xmlparser still apply to .trx file?

I kind of lost in doing this.

Sure it does, if the contents are XML, it should be able to parse them allright.

It has NOT a "checking mechanism" for "file extension".

Long before computers weren't invented ;):

What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.

Obviously Mr. Shakespeare, though a profound connoisseur of human nature could not foresee the degradation of costumes that finally led to the perversion of creating .xml file format. :ph34r:

Not that difficult:

1. let's say the file is called "myfile.trx"
  2. place the xmlparser.exe, xmlparser.dll and the myfile.trx file in a directory
  3. open a command prompt, and navigate to that directory
  4. type:
    xmlparser myfile.trx

5. press [ENTER]
  6. open results.tmp in Notepad

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I'm very fond of MS' testing tools (I'd much rather use NUnit/MbUnit/xUnit or fluent versions thereof) but seemingly you have some programmers on hand. They should be able to handle this kind of work. It's pretty simple to transform XML into a more human-readable format using a simple XML Style Sheet. If they can't handle that, then there's some pre-made ones out there. And if that's still not easy enough, there's some open source automatic converters from .trx to .htm. There's no point in reinventing the wheel poorly by mangling the XML.

Then again, other testing frameworks have a lot to offer over MSTest. I personally use NUnit (along with Resharper's test runner) most of the time but MbUnit/xUnit are also very nice. There's plenty of ways to check the results here too.

• 3 weeks later...