Restore security warning when installing programs

Lwood

Hi folks,

Recently I was experimenting with Linux (now over until I get access to DSL) and in the process I lost the warning dialogue when I double clicked on installation programs and I'd like to restore it if possible. I am running XP Home Edition SP3 and Internet Explorer 8.

During this time I reset my Internet Options to default settings.

I don't know if I lost the warning dialogue from that or from using the recovery console to get rid of the Grub bootloader during which I ran the fixmbr and fixboot commands.

I liked the little bit of added security of having to tell the OS that I'm intentionally installing something and I'd like to get back the warning when double clicking installation programs if possible.

I hope I've described the problem sufficiently to receive help, but if not I'll gladly try to clarify.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you may provide.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations and see if there is anything in LowRiskFileTypes. If so delete them.

Yes, that looks very much like the dialogue I'm referring to. But I don't even have an associations under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\.

Thanks very much for your help anyway though.

post-100162-0-20969100-1307716361_thumb.

Edited by Lwood

I hope this help (of course using the reverse settings).

Thanks, I have reversed the first setting appropriately, I think. Not sure how to reverse the second setting, there is already a checkmark in "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone."

Now I'll have to try installing something.

Thanks so much to both of you for your replies and advice.

Oh well, still no joy, I installed Pixia and got no warning. I'll play around with those setting some more and see if maybe I can get that warning back somehow or another.

I guess I'm being a little too picky about how my pc operates, but I sure would like to get it back to where I got that warning again. My pc works fine otherwise so I don't want to do anything to upset that.