High CPU

universalbloggers

Hi,

i have windows 7 home premium 64 bit

4gb ram

1gb graphic card

core i3 processor

recently one problem is bugging me a lot. whenever i play any game, cpu goes high but even after i close the game cpu remains high only. i checked task manager but the cpu consumption don't add up to 90-100% . then i used process explorer, nothing found there also except too many svchost entries.

kindly suggest something.

UB

Microsoft Security Essentials is permanently causing 40% CPU usage. Because MS doesn't offer debug files for MSE I can't see which function from MSE causes the high CPU usage.

So remove MSe and try other tools like Avira AntiVir or Avast.

1 other thing I can see is that the Interrupts cause some CPU usage. The Hal.dll is the cause. This is DLL for the hardware abstraction layer. Which power plan do you use? Also update the BIOS if possible.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Hi universalbloggers..

Whenever you play games your game increaeses your cpu usage and as you said that it even after you close the game cpu remains high this may because of other Applications using your cpu...You can check them by Opening Task manager and then processes and check which application is using your Cpu more and you can close it by click on that process and click on End process button...

Hi..

This may also due to installation of unwanted Softwares in your PC...you can also reduce your CPU usage by uninstallling the unwanted Software from your PC....

Microsoft Security Essentials is permanently causing 40% CPU usage. Because MS doesn't offer debug files for MSE I can't see which function from MSE causes the high CPU usage.

1 other thing I can see is that the Interrupts cause some CPU usage. The Hal.dll is the cause. This is DLL for the hardware abstraction layer. Which power plan do you use? Also update the BIOS if possible.

hi, bios is updated recently so i don't think there will be any more updated version.

i use custom power plan with no sleep options.

one tmore thing my laptop battery needs to be replaced, don't know if that is cause of problem.

UB

hi, bios is updated recently so i don't think there will be any more updated version.

i use custom power plan with no sleep options.

one tmore thing my laptop battery needs to be replaced, don't know if that is cause of problem.

UB

When you have purchase your laptop???????

• 2 weeks later...

hi, the new trace shows me that the Windows Explorer causes a lot of CPU usage.

I can see that the Explorer extracts Icons to get the thumpnails. I looked and saw that the gameux.dll is involved. This is the game explorer of Windows. I think the game explorer tries to look for updates and displays the icons. This causes the CPU usage. You can try to use ShellExView to disable 3rd party Shell extensions. Look if this improves the performance.

Hi Andre,

Thanks for a quick response.

I have changed settings in games explorer to "never automatically find updates" and "never find art and information about games". I used shellexview; but 95% were microsoft only. remaining consist of winrar, amd, sun, broadcom. should i disable any of these?

Meanwhile i found out that presentationfontcache.exe is sometimes coming in process list and taking high CPU like 25, 50 and even 60%. What is this process? It is running as local service.

UB

Disable all other addons 1 followed by the other and check if the usage is gone.

the presentationfontcache.exe is used by WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) apps. Stop the service and delete the file C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache3.0.0.0.dat if you use .net 3.5 or C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache4.0.0.0.dat if you use .net 4.0.

• 4 weeks later...