Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Good Alternative to VLC Player?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
There are a couple of things about the player that really annoy me. The main two being the volume control that goes up to 200% (and distorts) and the fact that the EQ settings are never retained. Anyone found a good free alternative for playing music and DVDs?

Edited by xmf, 14 June 2011 - 09:31 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
I'm using mediaplayer HC but it doesn't come with the codecs. If you need them and don't want to install anything else then you might like MPUI.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,161 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I'm also using MPC-HC
Posted Image

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
So, if I want to use Media Player Classic then I have to find codecs so I can play DVDs, CDs, MP3s. FLAC, WAV, etc.

MPlayer and MPUI is something different that (packaged) is all ready to go.

Well, I'd like to see why you both have chosen to use MP Classic, so I guess I'll start looking into the codecs I'll need (unless someone can point me in the right direction).

Edit: So far MP HC is playing most everything in my arsenal: CD, DVD, MP3, MP4, & FLAC - but no EQ! Hopefully there's a workaround.

Thanks

Edited by xmf, 14 June 2011 - 12:22 PM.

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
Well, K-Lite Codec Pack is bundled with MPC (and/or MPC-HC). It also includes FFDShow as a set of DirectShow filters and it does have an audio EQ. FFDShow is also available as a separate download.

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10

Well, K-Lite Codec Pack is bundled with MPC (and/or MPC-HC). It also includes FFDShow as a set of DirectShow filters and it does have an audio EQ. FFDShow is also available as a separate download.

So it does have a built-in EQ? How does one use it?

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
I'm using mediaplayer hC because it's multithreaded and very light and some built-in codecs but not all unlike vlc or mplayer. But for what i'm playing back, it is the best and it has unique features like using a different audio output than the default one or display in fullscreen always on the same monitor etc ...

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
And if you don't like K-Lite, you could try Shark007's pack - http://shark007.net/index.html. and there are other packs available as well.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
Attached File  AudioEQ.JPG   50.42KB   20 downloads

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
So I've downloaded and installed the program. How do I activate ffdshow and get to this screen?

Attached File  AudioEQ.JPG   50.42KB   20 downloads

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
Open your Start menu, select All Programs, find FFDShow and choose ffdshow audio decoder, as shown in the pic. Don't forget to tick Equalizer to enable it first. The ffdshow video decoder screen gives a few options as well.
Now, the good thing about this program is that if you configure your files/filters to go through FFDShow (Codecs sub-section for audio/video decoder screen), you should experience a smaller CPU usage and a smoother playback. I've been using it since 2004 (combined with K-Lite and MPC for the past 3-4 years) and the only files it doesn't play for me are the corrupted ones.

Cheers

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10

Open your Start menu, select All Programs, find FFDShow and choose ffdshow audio decoder, as shown in the pic. Don't forget to tick Equalizer to enable it first. The ffdshow video decoder screen gives a few options as well.
Now, the good thing about this program is that if you configure your files/filters to go through FFDShow (Codecs sub-section for audio/video decoder screen), you should experience a smaller CPU usage and a smoother playback. I've been using it since 2004 (combined with K-Lite and MPC for the past 3-4 years) and the only files it doesn't play for me are the corrupted ones.

Cheers

A slight miscommunication. When I wrote "So I've downloaded and installed the program." I was referring to MPC-HC, not FFDShow. I thought FFDShow came bundled with MPC-HC based on post #4, but I guess not?
Anyway, I've now downloaded and successfully installed FFDShow, but it's not appearing in my Start Menu->Programs. Is there any other way to launch it? Must it be launched separately every time in order to work in conjunction with MPC?

Edited by xmf, 14 June 2011 - 08:36 PM.

onlyrasel

onlyrasel

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 21-November 07
Try SMPlayer. For me Its Great.

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,314 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05
Winamp plays most movies fine as well.

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Donator

As far as I know, MPC-HC is in terrible code state. It's an old code from MPC with some features added on top of it. Noone knows how it really works and most of the development consists of bugfixes and workarounds.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using it for a few years and like it, but I don't see much light at the and of the tunnel for it. If I was looking for a player, I wouldn't look at it as an alternative.

The same applies to FFDShow by the way...

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

As far as I know, MPC-HC is in terrible code state. It's an old code from MPC with some features added on top of it.

Yet, nothing comes even close to it for movies. VLC is handy for a few other things (streaming/transcoding/capturing stuff, playing obscure formats & broken files, etc) but as a general purpose media player it's pretty awful IMO (sucks at playing H.264 files big time, hw acceleration isn't quite there yet, no EVR renderer support, really poor interface which usually happens with multi-platform programs, poor keyboard shortcuts, even mouse control sucks, tons of bugs like rebuilding the font cache for what seems like eternity all too often, etc). Mostly everything just works in MPC-HC, and ditto for ffdshow (knowing how to configure them sure helps a lot though). For audio files VLC's still horrible but I wouldn't use MPC HC for that either.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
I never got MPC-HC to work, but I'm trying again. The program is installed but I can't figure out where to enable the EQ.

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
FFDshow downloaded but I can't find the exe

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

I never got MPC-HC to work, but I'm trying again. The program is installed but I can't figure out where to enable the EQ.

It's not a music player, so there isn't one.

FFDshow downloaded but I can't find the exe

That a codec (decoder), not a player.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
I'm confused. I requested recommendations for a music/movie player and MPC was highly recommended. Also, post 9 shows an EQ for the player.

So MPC won't play FLAC, MP3, etc? What about the eq mentioned as being part of the FFDshow package?

After downloading FFDshow, I was referring to the "Install" document that states:

"Binary distribution:

Run ffdshow.exe and follow instructions."

I guess I don't have the binary distr then. The second set of install instructions (shown below) are totally confusing to me. I'll try to search elsewhere for easier instructions I guess.

"From sources:

1. Install cygwin with gcc, binutils, make and mingw runtime (maybe others)
Cygwin can be downloaded from http://www.cygwin.com
2. Install nasm
3. Go to ffmpeg directory
4. Edit config.mak and config.h
5. Go to libavcodec directory
6. Type make
7. Copy libavcodec.dll to windows system directory (or somewhere to PATH)
8. Go to mplayer directory
9. Edit config.mak and maybe config.h
10. Type make
11. Copy libpostproc.dll to windows system directory (or somewhere to PATH)
12. Go to dshow directory
13. Open dshow.sln (for VS.NET) or dshow.dsw (for VS 6) and build it
(xvid.ax should be registered after build)
14. Try to play some XVID AVI with Windows Media Player 6.4
(may work also with other players)"

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

I'm confused. I requested recommendations for a music/movie player and MPC was highly recommended.

I personally never recommended MPC or MPC HC as a music player. Don't blame me ;) I only use it for movies myself. I stick to plain old Windows Media Player for music, and I'm quite happy with it. It has an equalizer but I've never used it, nor am I planning on that...

Also, post 9 shows an EQ for the player.

No, that's the ffdshow audio decoder, which has that particular feature (haven't used it either) which you'd access from a (fairly annoying) tray icon, or from your player if it exposes its functionality. It's still not a player (it's used by a player rather)

So MPC won't play FLAC, MP3, etc?

I've never tried. But I wouldn't want to use it for that either.

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
This page explain how to use external filter in mpc-hc and with ffdshow you'll get a realtime equalizer.

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10

So MPC won't play FLAC, MP3, etc?

I've never tried. But I wouldn't want to use it for that either.

I'm curious why. [for those who care, the bare MPC-HC install will play flac and mp3]

This page explain how to use external filter in mpc-hc and with ffdshow you'll get a realtime equalizer.

Thanks, looks like a great resource but it's also quite extensive and I couldn't find instructions on how to install ffdshow initially.

Edited by xmf, 05 September 2011 - 10:46 PM.

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
Here is one of the ffdshow builds repository.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

I'm curious why

Because the interface is clearly meant for playing videos and I think it would really suck quite badly for playing music. I'd much rather keep using WMP for music, where things are neatly organized by albums/groups/whatever and rated, where I can sync my mp3 player, where the same songs can be streamed to other computers and devices or even used in media center and so on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users