DVD burning problems

I needed to burn some Video DVDs (for use in DVD Player) and I decided to use some of my Memorex DVD-Rs that I just got. When I tried to burn the files to them using Windows DVD Maker, after the encoding, it froze and the burning had failed. Trying the discs in another laptop computer provided the same result. So, I decided to use some of my trusty HP DVD+R discs instead, and everything worked fine. I don't think it was a difference between DVD-R and DVD+R that caused this, because again, I tried it in two computers: a desktop from 2005, and a new Windows 7 Laptop from a few months ago.

Today I tried to burn data to the discs, as I figured that they just might not be compatible with the Video DVD encoding. When I went through the Windows DVD Burn and also through an external program, it either did not work or didn't recognize the disk.

When I looked at the back of the discs, there was a very faint ring around the center, like it had been burned already. However, even discs that I had not tried to burn to had this ring. EVERY SINGLE DISC in the 50 pack has it!

What is extremely peculiar is that I have used these disks before in my DVD player to upconvert VHS to DVD - with no problems whatsoever.

Please help me figure out what is going wrong - and if I can burn these disks!

Hello tks1234

Personally I can report my experience: I used Memorex long time ago and one day my PC won't to boot at all. At the beginning I was becoming crazy to looking for the problem, and at the end I discovered that booting the computer with a Memorex CD into the drive, it locks the computer. It was not a bad bootable CD, just a CD with any data stored, infact leaving any other media in the drive, of any other manufacter except Memorex, I didn't have any more problems.

After that experience I spend some cent more and I started to buy only better media like Verbatim AZO, from that time I forgot what mean have problems with the media.

Another step to consider is to looking for a new firmware for your media burner, sometimes it fix the issue, but if your drive is so old the a new firmware is no longer avaiable, you can consider to buy a more recent drive

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I thought I was subscribed to e-mail updates on this post!

Understood. I will update drivers and see if anything happens with the discs then. If they still don't burn, they'll end up in the disc recycle can in front of Best Buy.

It goes to show how bad cheap media is... I didn't have one problem with the HP discs or Sony ones I used in the past, but not one of those cheap Memorex ones would burn!

Edited by tka1234