• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Legorol

Install XP from USB without extra tools

32 posts in this topic

I could get the $OEM$\$1 working and got it to copy files during text mode (although it wouldn't work without a winnt.sif with at least some entries). Unfortunately it has the same problem as any attempt before: Setup overwrites boot.ini right at the end, just before reboot. :no:

I could get the $OEM$\$1 working and got it to copy files during text mode (although it wouldn't work without a winnt.sif with at least some entries). Unfortunately it has the same problem as any attempt before: Setup overwrites boot.ini right at the end, just before reboot. :no:

Well it was worth to try it, but it will be difficult then to find a solution to get the desired boot.ini .......

In txtsetup.sif, SetupData section, there is OsLoadOptions, maybe that could be used to add an extra line, using something like \r\n or any other value which would make Setup write a new line, or it's just for the Text mode and ignored later on :unsure:

@wimb: Yes, it looks impossible to affect the contents of boot.ini during text-mode setup, so I have given up on it. Booting to Recovery Console once isn't a horrible solution.

In txtsetup.sif, SetupData section, there is OsLoadOptions, maybe that could be used to add an extra line, using something like \r\n or any other value which would make Setup write a new line, or it's just for the Text mode and ignored later on :unsure:

I don't think this would work. For starters, these are just the options that come at the end of a line in boot.ini, I don't see how this could affect the ARC path. Also, the options in txtsetup.inf are for setupldr.bin, and are a bit different from what ntldr accepts.

Edited by Legorol

Step 1) Partition and format the USB stick in Windows 7, which makes it bootable:

Start Command Prompt, start diskpart.

Enter commands: select disk 2, clean, create partition primary, active

Exit diskpart, unplug and replug the stick.

Format the stick via Windows Explorer (I chose FAT32).

when did you assign a drive letter for the usb stick? i really wanted to try something like this but I'm using windows xp for my work machine.

when did you assign a drive letter for the usb stick? i really wanted to try something like this but I'm using windows xp for my work machine.

NO way on XP if the USB device is seen as "removable".

But this thread is an "exercise" to see what can be done "WITHOUT EXTRA TOOLS".

If you want to "play the game" it's OK of course. :)

If you want to actually have a working install from the USB stick, use any of the tools provided in this Forum, it will be faster. ;)

jaclaz

THANK YOU ALL!

I work as an IT Support (MCDST)- yes nothing to brag about, but I had to start somewhere. I trying to move away from the support side of things and getting into building / repairing Laptops. So far this week I have rebuilt two and today I was given a Acer Aspire One to rebuild.

The problem I have is that the HDD, is buried within the chasis, and I lack the full toolkit to get it out. (Normally I wip out the Drive and put it into a caddy and run CHKDSK and what not from my PC.)

As I couldn't do this, I needed a way to start the recovery console from the XP CD. - This netbook has no CD drive, so the USB installation method was the only way!

This is by far the best way to do it. Very minimalistic and took 30 mins to get to the Recovery console from start to finish.

I will update when it comes to a re-install so far I am just attempting to repair the OS.

Again thanks for a simple way to get XP to install without any downloads.

Regards,

DRT