Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Install XP from USB without extra tools

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Legorol

Legorol

• 23 posts
I could get the $OEM$\$1 working and got it to copy files during text mode (although it wouldn't work without a winnt.sif with at least some entries). Unfortunately it has the same problem as any attempt before: Setup overwrites boot.ini right at the end, just before reboot. :no:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 677 posts

I could get the $OEM$\$1 working and got it to copy files during text mode (although it wouldn't work without a winnt.sif with at least some entries). Unfortunately it has the same problem as any attempt before: Setup overwrites boot.ini right at the end, just before reboot. :no:

Well it was worth to try it, but it will be difficult then to find a solution to get the desired boot.ini .......

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,718 posts
In txtsetup.sif, SetupData section, there is OsLoadOptions, maybe that could be used to add an extra line, using something like \r\n or any other value which would make Setup write a new line, or it's just for the Text mode and ignored later on :unsure:

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

Legorol

Legorol

• 23 posts
@wimb: Yes, it looks impossible to affect the contents of boot.ini during text-mode setup, so I have given up on it. Booting to Recovery Console once isn't a horrible solution.

In txtsetup.sif, SetupData section, there is OsLoadOptions, maybe that could be used to add an extra line, using something like \r\n or any other value which would make Setup write a new line, or it's just for the Text mode and ignored later on :unsure:

I don't think this would work. For starters, these are just the options that come at the end of a line in boot.ini, I don't see how this could affect the ARC path. Also, the options in txtsetup.inf are for setupldr.bin, and are a bit different from what ntldr accepts.

Edited by Legorol, 07 July 2011 - 05:20 PM.

thinman

thinman
  • 1 posts

Step 1) Partition and format the USB stick in Windows 7, which makes it bootable:
Start Command Prompt, start diskpart.
Enter commands: select disk 2, clean, create partition primary, active
Exit diskpart, unplug and replug the stick.
Format the stick via Windows Explorer (I chose FAT32).

when did you assign a drive letter for the usb stick? i really wanted to try something like this but I'm using windows xp for my work machine.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,200 posts

when did you assign a drive letter for the usb stick? i really wanted to try something like this but I'm using windows xp for my work machine.

NO way on XP if the USB device is seen as "removable".

But this thread is an "exercise" to see what can be done "WITHOUT EXTRA TOOLS".

If you want to "play the game" it's OK of course. :)

If you want to actually have a working install from the USB stick, use any of the tools provided in this Forum, it will be faster. ;)

jaclaz

drtsystem

drtsystem
  • 1 posts
THANK YOU ALL!

I work as an IT Support (MCDST)- yes nothing to brag about, but I had to start somewhere. I trying to move away from the support side of things and getting into building / repairing Laptops. So far this week I have rebuilt two and today I was given a Acer Aspire One to rebuild.

The problem I have is that the HDD, is buried within the chasis, and I lack the full toolkit to get it out. (Normally I wip out the Drive and put it into a caddy and run CHKDSK and what not from my PC.)

As I couldn't do this, I needed a way to start the recovery console from the XP CD. - This netbook has no CD drive, so the USB installation method was the only way!

This is by far the best way to do it. Very minimalistic and took 30 mins to get to the Recovery console from start to finish.

I will update when it comes to a re-install so far I am just attempting to repair the OS.

Again thanks for a simple way to get XP to install without any downloads.

Regards,

DRT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN