Getting the ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 / Mobility Radeon X700 to work w

Hella

Hi, Win98-Addicts!

Several weeks ago I purchased a notebook (HP NW8240) for setting up a Win98-System. While for most parts (Intel 915 chipset, etc.) Windows 98 drivers are avaible, the built-in ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 128MB RAM video card only works with Standard-(S)VGA drivers. I searched the web for working Windows 98 drivers but did not succeed. Does anybody here have an idea? The FireGL V5000 is based on the Radeon X700 for which Win98 drivers (Catalyst 6.2) do exist (). But when installing them, all I can see are some kinds of coloured lines and the screen becoming brighter and brighter until... I decide to shut down the notebook as the screen looks too dangerous. Perhaps there are problems using (desktop) X700 drivers for the mobility version e. g. clock speeds too high etc.?

Any hints and ideas are highly appriciated!

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Hella

Edited by Hella

*Should* is the magic word. ;-)

I followed nearly all webpages (CNET, ZDNET, ...) but they all refer to that outdated link on ATI's old website.

On http://www.downloadwindowsdrivers.info/pci/ven_1002/dev_5653/subsys_00661025/ one can download ATI Mobility Radeon X700 drivers from different ACER-FTP-locations, but none of them seems to be WIN98 compatible...

I'm seeing that the version that Cnet has for Windows 98 is a v6.14.10.6521. I'm reading that some users (had) used sp30403, which isn't specifically for notebooks but designed for their workstations. I'll presume that it is possible for you to use this package on the notebook. Firstly, both sp30403 and the prior sp28806 are for the following:

[Operating Systems]
WIN2000=OEM
WINXP32P=OEM

[Devices]
VEN_1002&DEV_5148&SUBSYS_01521002=ATI FireGL 8800;
VEN_1002&DEV_4154&SUBSYS_00021002=ATI FireGL T2;
VEN_1002&DEV_4174&SUBSYS_00031002=ATI FireGL T2 Secondary;
VEN_1002&DEV_5B64&SUBSYS_01021002=ATI FireGL V3100;
VEN_1002&DEV_5B74&SUBSYS_01031002=ATI FireGL V3100 Secondary;
VEN_1002&DEV_5551&SUBSYS_15511002=ATI FireGL V5100;
VEN_1002&DEV_5571&SUBSYS_15501002=ATI FireGL V5100 Secondary;
VEN_1002&DEV_4E47&SUBSYS_01521002=ATI FireGL X1-256;
VEN_1002&DEV_4E67&SUBSYS_01531002=ATI FireGL X1-256 Secondary;
VEN_1002&DEV_4147&SUBSYS_010A1002=ATI FireGL Z1-128p;
VEN_1002&DEV_4167&SUBSYS_010B1002=ATI FireGL Z1-128p;
VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_0F021002=RADEON X300 Series;
VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_04021002=RADEON X300 Series;
VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&SUBSYS_0F031002=RADEON X300 Series Secondary;
VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&SUBSYS_04031002=RADEON X300 Series Secondary;

If your HwID is listed here great. If you don't know it, PCISCAN (among other things) can get you this info. Also, going by the sp28806.cva, we can find this line also to help us find the actual files we need:

[Install Execution]
SilentInstall="FireGL-8.043.1.1-WHQL-040907a1-017905C-HP\setup.exe -k

HP's FTP does have the SP28806.exe on it, and you can try it out.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp28501-29000/sp28806.exe

Going further back in the versions, none of them (even the first) mention Win98. Maybe searching using the partial name in the SilentIntell section might be able to find something?

Interesting... installation of sp30403 or sp28806 is partially succesful - they both install Ati Hydravision, but no drivers.

Using pciscan I get:

Vendor "1002" and Device "5653".

Following http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=5653&device_search=Search I get:

"0x5653 ATI MOBILITY/ATI RADEON X700 0x1002 ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."

I just extracted those and they are definately XP/2000 drivers. No 9x in there. You can probably uninstall them if you can. Tracking down this driver is tough since all the links to ATI's website do not work anymore, and it looks like ATI does not have any Win98 drivers on it? I found another driver package that definately is for Win98, but neither of the INFs I found have your HwID listed in them. The file is located here:

http://globalfilesearch.net/download.aspx?path=ftp.peliplaneetta.net/ajurit/naytonohjaimet/wme-8-03-98-2-041020a-018705e.exe

If I can get any other ideas about what the old ATI driver was called, it would be easier to find... hopefully. Anyways, the path that led me to this particular driver package (to get the idea of how I found it) is.

- Asus had a notebook with FireGL (same HwID) and had released an ATI driver v8.06 (haven't tried to find this yet!)

- This driver package is based on the ATI Catalyst 4.10 for Win98/ME.

- The original link from ATI's old website was:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wme-8-03-98-2-041020a-018705e.exe

- Another search term possible: TS64MVDR7

Obviously, I took the route of finding the EXE file first.

• 5 years later...

i wanted to bump this thread as i will be testing out the compaq nw8240 myself with the firegl mobility v5000 graphics. i found that 8.06 ati driver mentioned by tripredacus, it mentions ("ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 " = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_C016144D), in the inf with driver version being 6.14.10.6483, so it's the same pci ven dev as what the op mentioned. i also found another package that had the same driver version of 6.14.10.6483 but with slightly different packaged contents, instead of mentioning mobility x700 for the name of the device, it mentioned this ("M26-X" = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653).

both packages mention windows 98 as an available install path, though the 8.06 ati driver package based on catalyst 4.10 has slightly older contents for some files, also it doesn't have the hvision and wdm folder. not sure how the op even got the catalyst 6.2 to install drivers as it doesn't even use any of the pci ven and devs for the mobility firegl v5000, at least going with reference to the original driver package provided by the nw8240 from dell's official driver page, the only pci ven and devs mentioned specific to the firegl v5000 were "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653" and "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_564B". for " PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_564B", i haven't found any appropriate packages that would support 98SE, and im crossing my fingers for the laptop to come with the "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653" device.

Edited by cov3rt

• 2 weeks later...

this laptop has been a bit difficult to work with so far. first, i'm having trouble flashing the bios in windows 7, when trying to do it, the screen just gets messed up, full of jagged lines and basically freezes, i have tried this with the latest bios that is several bios versions newer than the one currently on the laptop and then i tried one that is only one version newer to see maybe if it's necessary that i would need to install a newer bios in a specific order but it had the same problem with the jagged lines and freezing, luckily, turning off the laptop these attempts didn't mess up anything and i was able to boot right back up to windows.

another problem is the broadcom 4318 ( dell truemobile 1350 ) mini pci wireless card i installed is not supported officially, despite me referencing it off an ebay page mentioning as a compatible device to the nw8240 laptop but at post, i received the 104 unsupported wireless device message. however, it seems that there is probable solution for this as other people have been able to install unsupported cards on various similar laptops using certain methods, even though i haven't found any one specifically mentioning it for the nw8240, yet alone for this specific mini pci wifi card i got.

the laptop does come with the "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653" device ( some hope ), i noticed the closest device to this same hardware id ( found in both the mobility radeon x700 and firegl v5000 ) is only found in NT packages, at least from what i researched. the second closest from what i researched is the radeon x700 SE ( secondary ), which although all of them i checked had different hardware ids as "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653", there is a 98SE driver for them.

i was thinking that i may have to go about experimenting with this laptop similarly to which i did with the dell latitude d810, so it's possible that manually selecting the right device when brought up through device manager for a package such as catalyst 4.11, might give me a proper working device for 98SE for this laptop, though id rather not do that if i didn't need to, even if it works, because it's possible the performance may be limited in a way if using that driver that was designed for the radeon x700 SE which bandwidth is limited to 3.2 GB/s versus mobility x700 and firegl v5000 that is 11.2 GB/s, also having 64 bit bus width instead of 128 bit bus width.

i'll also need a new optical drive in the meantime to do further work as the current one doesn't want to read or boot off anything. i've attached a photo of what gpu-z reports of the gpu on the nw8240.

IMG_0391.JPG

Edited by cov3rt

hmmm...., i cant even get past the setup phase for the nw8240 with windows 98SE despite installing with "setup /p i;e" ( ACPI disabled and startup disk for floppy disabled), the system will just freeze at the 10 minute mark of the plug and play part in the setup phase. also the nw8240 just randomly turns off sometimes too. the only things i can think of is that i have too much ram ( at least for the setup part not working completely ), i have 1 GB installed and maybe it's too much with the agp card combined? though i didn't have this problem on the dell latitude d810 which had the mobility x600 graphics with 128 MB video memory ( not all versions of mobility x600 support 98SE ), i had 1 GB of ram installed at first and setup went without a problem with ACPI disabled, later on i edited the vcache and maxphyspage settings in windows for more proper functioning.

interestingly, i got a fatal exception error 0D on some instances when trying to reinstall or do the setup again, but i didn't get them at first, with the laptop turning off randomly and also the "invalid system disk, replace the disk" error in between all this, makes me believe there may be a hardware problem(s) to all this, i did check the cpu temperatures when i had windows 2000 installed, i had to install the entire os just to do a d*** bios update lol, but with the cpu temperatures, they seemed fine, about 55 degrees celsius at idle and in the 60s with normal usage, i didn't check the other temperatures, perhaps it's possible the gpu may be running too hot, though i would doubt it, i feel like it might be the HDD and / or some power management setting in bios maybe? like intel speedstep, i read it from before but still don't know what i should do with the setting? should i leave it automatic or disabled when running 98SE or in general?

other settings like bios dma data transfers, should i leave enabled or disabled? also intel execution, enable or disable? both of these have been enabled up to this point. speedstep was left at automatic. and back to the troubleshooting part, i do have a slight feeling also that it may be a virus hiding in the bios or other source of the laptop's internal components that may be causing the laptop to just randomly turn off.

well i tried to reinstall 98SE from scratch again on the nw8240, this time after deleting the partitions, i ran "fdisk /mbr" as it was mentioned as helpful for several situations for clearing a hard drive of viruses or in general for starting from scratch, ran "setup /p i;e" like before ( acpi disabled and floppy disk creation, although it still runs the floppy disk message so the "e" command seems useless? ), but same problem of getting stuck at 10 percent, and then trying to turn off the laptop and re run the setup would just cause an infinite restart loop cycle without even getting past the 16 minute mark or so. i couldn't really find specific solutions to this problem, however, i do have a feeling it may be related to the system ram or ram problem in general.

the system has 1 GB stick ram installed, i read on msfn forums on trying to edit the system.ini while in dos before the operating system is fully setup to make it seem like the system has less ram as setup may complain about memory related errors but apparently this made no difference, i don't know if i didn't do it correctly and / or there are other problems separate from the ram issue, regardless, the steps were a bit complicated and didn't make sense to me and i don't know if i want to go back and try to make sense out of hit without having a clue what im doing in the process, i've already spent a lot of time and effort on this laptop, i had decided to temporary hold off the 104 unsupported wireless adapter problem because i wanted to see how much support and functionality i can get within 98SE without having the wireless adapter at hand, but i can't even get the OS to install, i've attached a picture of the specific error message which only seems to come once when trying to run the second setup phase right when it freezes.

goodone.jpg

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

The memory address looks to be "out of bounds" so there is no way to have less physical memory in the system?

so then it IS a ram problem? i actually ordered 2 sticks of 512 MB ram yesterday that should be coming in soon, so i can install only 512 MB of system ram at first, see if 98SE will fully install and if it does, edit the system.ini and install the other 512 MB ram for a total of 1 GB as i only had a full 1 GB ram stick on the system from always and no ram sticks with less memory.

Edited by cov3rt

With 1GiB of RAM you don't get the early "not enough memory" crash that occurs with more RAM. But, you are still subject to crashing due to System Arena starvation because of the over aggressive File Cache.
At a minimum you need to add the MaxFileCache Workaround to the SYSTEM.INI File.

The Memory Address shown above is a garbage address usually resulting from a Stack Fault or corrupted Pointer.

11 hours ago, cov3rt said:

so then it IS a ram problem? i actually ordered 2 sticks of 512 MB ram yesterday that should be coming in soon, so i can install only 512 MB of system ram at first, see if 98SE will fully install and if it does, edit the system.ini and install the other 512 MB ram for a total of 1 GB as i only had a full 1 GB ram stick on the system from always and no ram sticks with less memory.

There is no guarantee your system will work with more than 512MB of RAM even with the SYSTEM.INI tweaks. They never worked for me on any system I tested them on. I did see 98SE run with slightly over 1.2GB one time when using an old version of the Unofficial Service Pack, but the system was highly unstable. If I were you I would forget anything over 512MB until you get everything set up and working smoothly. Then add it and see what changes. You may end up needing rloew's RAM patch if it doesn't work or makes your system unstable.

1GB of RAM caused some problems on my 98SE rig, such as older NVIDIA GPU drivers not working (45.xx), and 3DMark2001 SE not launching the benchmark.

I highly recommend you stick with 512MB.

Edited by MrMateczko