MDT 2010 One WIM -> Different Models

Hello,

I would like a way of having one task sequence that deploys an image (WIM) to all models of PC.

Currently I've gone and captured images from each model of PC and then had to deploy them as individual task sequences. It works but it's annoying having loads of TSs all over the place.

In most cases I want the OS and everything to be exactly the same, the only difference being the drivers for the individual models.

What's the best way of doing this?

Thanks

Imaging XP in a hardware-independent fashion *can* be done, but it's not necessarily easy. You need to make sure you do a few things, and these are *NOT* optional:

1. Create your base XP image in a supportable VM environment (as per Microsoft) - it must be Hyper-V, VMWare Workstation, or VirtualBox. Do NOT install any VM additions.
  2. Capture your base XP image to a WIM (I'd recommend a sysprep and capture TS) to the MDT server
  3. Configure your MDT distribution point with the correct drivers for each model, in a VERY SPECIFIC WAY (see my blog post here, specifically the section entitled "Driver Management / Add Drivers", for how to do make\model driver management).
  4. Configure your Task Sequence's inject drivers steps exactly as seen in the above blog to make sure the requisite drivers get installed for the correct model
  5. If you have drivers that are not sys/inf based, but require .exe installers, then you'll need to find a way to install them as applications using Make\Model WMI filters so that the proper apps get installed on the proper models, just as you would with any other OS.

Note that these are the same steps if you're deploying any other OS image via MDT as well, so the steps are not XP-specific. It's just that using the "plug and pray" or "total chaos" methods with XP is far more fraught with failure than it would be with newer OSes like Vista or Win7.