How to avoid customer having to enter product key?

Yup, the recovery partition is present but there are only a couple of random files and images. Nothing to see.

Maybe I could install the system from the recovery DVDs and try to go to audit mode to see if there are still files to be looked for on the disk?

yes could do that in VM actually.

Really strange you cannot see the files, are you sure you have all options unchecked under folder op[tions

Trying to remember how I took control of my entire recovery partition and was able to browse it. Have a laptop new I'll test later on

something like this run from a Admin cmd prompt. replace Administrators with your language version of it

echo y| icacls "D:\*" /grant Administrators:F /T
attrib -R -A -S -H "D:\" /S /D

Edited by maxXPsoft

Ok I mounted the recovery partition image and found a few batch files. Each is specific to a windows edition and only contains a command for adding product key to the image used. It's the same key installed PCs report as being installed with. Is the activation done through some command, or how do they do it? Because naturally no activation is needed once the system is installed.

Ok I mounted the recovery partition image and found a few batch files. Each is specific to a windows edition and only contains a command for adding product key to the image used. It's the same key installed PCs report as being installed with. Is the activation done through some command, or how do they do it? Because naturally no activation is needed once the system is installed.

The image in the recovery partition should be activated already.

open admin cmd prompt and type slmgr -dli | slmgr -xpr | slmgr -dlv

if OEM then then under description it will say OEM_SLP channel

That is done with Slic 2.1 bios and the key only. Automatic activation. You must create OEM folders and add those files to your DVD\sources\$OEM$ exactly where they are in the recovery. Make sure you get the *.xrm-ms from Windows\System32\OEM and place in DVD\sources\$oem$\$$\System32\OEM

Edited by maxXPsoft

I will give it a shot.

Now that I think about it, in the worst case I will install the machines with the OEM keys which are on the stickers on their sides. It's just that I still hope I will be able to do it with the Lenovo key without having to type anything anywhere (and bothering with activation).

Edited by TheWalrus

OEM structure created in DVD\souces folder

$OEM$
$$ <<- C:\Windows $$\Web\Wallpaper <<- Wallpapers here
Setup\Scripts <<- setupcomplete.cmd
System32 <<- $$\System32\OEM <<- OEM *.xrm-ms + valid Product Key
$1 <<- Drive Root
Drivers <<- where some OEM place driver files
Install <<- where I place most things and call from there. EX: %SystemRoot%\Install\Firstlog.cmd

Done a lenovo some time back messed up with viruses here was the folders I copied from Recovery part

Plug your key in anywhere within the cmd files

post-9484-0-67088500-1312246224_thumb.pn

Edited by maxXPsoft

Now that I think about it, in the worst case I will install the machines with the OEM keys which are on the stickers on their sides.

Those keys cannot be used for an install. Those keys can only be used for Telephone Activation.

I finally got time to dig into this and copied the recovery images from one machine. After lots of hopeless looking around for the OEM folder which is not present at all, I found whole bunch of the xrm-ms. Really no idea which ones I need though. Perhaps you could help me out?

Do I understand it correctly that I just need one or more of these placed in specific DVD folder and the automatic activation will work?

No thats just where they put the file, you can copy that whole OEM folder to DVD\sources\$OEM$\$$\System32\OEM

look above and copy them folders

Done a lenovo some time back messed up with viruses here was the folders I copied from Recovery part

some OEM use a script located in Windows\Setup\Scripts and it is deleted after you install.

cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ilc %windir%\system32\oem\oem.xrm-ms
REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v "EditionID" | FINDSTR /I "Ultimate"
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 SET PIDKEY=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk %PIDKEY%

Edited by maxXPsoft