KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

Hi, MiKl.

I actually don't understand the mechanisms KernelEx for Windows 98/me, although I create Kernel extension for Windows 2000.

On my way (Windows 2000 Extended kernel)...

1. create enough space for code.

2. move Export table to space.

3. Insert codes, extend functions.

4. Check additional relocation table.

5. adjust checksum.

In case of Windows 9x. I think it is easier and better that we only re-complie the application, we need.

There are important library for Windows 9x, gdiplus and ssl and atl and so on as we need.

For example I create Twitter client for Windows 95, which supported API1.1 and UserStream. :)

Hi BlackWingCat,

it will surely be a lot of work but could it maybe be possible to create a kernel32.dll integrating functions from ME, Win2000, XP for Win95/98 ??

Thx,

MiKl

Edited by blackwingcat

Well, if we could create a modern browser that could work natively in 9x and could handle HTML5 and all other web "enhancements" (CSS, PHP, JS, Java, Flash, etc) - allowing, of course, for any of them to be disabled at will without requiring tons of add-ons - then we wouldn't have to put up with all that bloat in Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey and whatever other browsers people may desperately try to operate in a 9x environment. :angel

Apologies for thinking out loud, sometimes I'm daydreaming too much... :blushing:

Goldwave 5.52 under KernelEx appears to work except when you go to Help, About, then click okay, the program crashes. I'm testing it now and it seems to work fine otherwise. This is under KernelEx 4.5.2 and no specific modes selected either during install or application launch.

Edited by Tommy

In case of Windows 9x. I think it is easier and better that we only re-complie the application, we need.

Hmmm, yes but there seem to be only a handful of people actually able and interested in doing so !! I surely can't :blushing:

So it may be useful to close some of the biggest gaps.

The other day I was looking at ntdll.dll. In Win98SE and ME it is only 20 kB big but in Win2000 already more than 500 kB !!

Thx, MiKl

I think If the useful application is too incompatible from Windows 9x and it has open source project, there is more reality that to migrate for it.

notepad++ and firefox and so on :)

For example I did not have any tricks(,which is difficult problem solved by extend function ) on Extended Kernel but the side of .Net framework 3.5 and 4.0 for Windows 2000 . :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

I think If the useful application is too incompatible from Windows 9x and it has open source project, there is more reality that to migrate for it.

notepad++ and firefox and so on :)

Hi blackwingcat,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Migrating apps would be great but I think you should contact the developers so that your hard work may not become void after the next update and they may even give you hints what is best to do/add !!

Getting a state-of-the-art browser to (really) work would be a dream come true !!

Thx, MiKl

Well, if we could create a modern browser that could work natively in 9x and could handle HTML5 and all other web "enhancements" (CSS, PHP, JS, Java, Flash, etc) - allowing, of course, for any of them to be disabled at will without requiring tons of add-ons - then we wouldn't have to put up with all that bloat in Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey and whatever other browsers people may desperately try to operate in a 9x environment. :angel

Apologies for thinking out loud, sometimes I'm daydreaming too much... :blushing:

A great idea, especially for those who need all kind of features while browsing the internet. Maybe just a layer on top of wget or similar will suffice. Who have the time and interest? Should be a lot of ppl here since internet is so important to many. Personally I'm satisfied with what I have got already.

I couldn't find an acceptable solution for 9x browsing. Could be my video driver or anything else in this way-too-much-tweaked system, but all Gecko-based browsers bail out and break nvdisp.drv after displaying a few web pages. Problem is, I can't use a newer/tweaked nVidia driver for this MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8x video card because it loses Direct3D (or was it AGP texture?) acceleration.

I'd say a lot more but it'd be useless and off-topic.

I have just installed and tested Firefox 9.0 beta1 on my 98SE and will soon test the stable 9.0.1. Earlier I've tried 12.0, 11.0 and 10.0.2, without success - there were crashes and/or hangs all over the place. But the 9.0 beta seems to work decently here, at least today. Not even video driver corruption as it used to happen with other browsers, but there's still time for that.

One thing about bookmarks: they can be used if the SQLite3 database called places.sqlite is copied from another working Firefox installation's profile. I've got mine from a Firefox 13.0 on XP and all links are usable; new links cannot be added but at least an already existing collection of bookmarks can be used. If it doesn't work at first attempt, make sure you set mozsqlite3.dll to Windows 98SE compatibility in KernelEx properties tab.

I should clearly state that my 98SE machine has a lot of manually upgraded system files on top of an old Auto-Patcher installation, so if it doesn't work for you, try to find out which files/API you're missing (Dependency Walker may help) and update your files, keeping old versions as backup for safety. Also Problemchyld's SP3 may be of help.

I've tested yesterday an older version 1.3.5 and latest (at the time) 1.4.4, both being portable versions of QupZilla.

While 1.3.5 appeared to crash a little later after fiddling with compatibility in various dependency files, 1.4.4 was fairly prompt in crashing.

There's a number of missing API in QtCore4.dll, QtGui4.dll, QtWebKit4.dll. There may or may not be workarounds by using ImportPatcher or similar tools - I have not tried any, for now.

Firefox 9.0b1 broke my video driver last night, after having installed Java 1.6.0.27, which may not be a coincidence. I already have Java 1.6.0.7 but it's not recognized by Firefox as a plug-in. After uninstalling 1.6.0.27 and a couple reboots, Firefox is now working correctly - albeit very slow on my 667MHz Pentium III - at least here at MSFN and in a couple Wordpress blogs. Other pages might break it though. Currently, Flash is disabled through an add-on.

I have just installed and tested Firefox 9.0 beta1 on my 98SE and will soon test the stable 9.0.1. Earlier I've tried 12.0, 11.0 and 10.0.2, without success - there were crashes and/or hangs all over the place. But the 9.0 beta seems to work decently here, at least today. Not even video driver corruption as it used to happen with other browsers, but there's still time for that.

One thing about bookmarks: they can be used if the SQLite3 database called places.sqlite is copied from another working Firefox installation's profile. I've got mine from a Firefox 13.0 on XP and all links are usable; new links cannot be added but at least an already existing collection of bookmarks can be used. If it doesn't work at first attempt, make sure you set mozsqlite3.dll to Windows 98SE compatibility in KernelEx properties tab.

I should clearly state that my 98SE machine has a lot of manually upgraded system files on top of an old Auto-Patcher installation, so if it doesn't work for you, try to find out which files/API you're missing (Dependency Walker may help) and update your files, keeping old versions as backup for safety. Also Problemchyld's SP3 may be of help.

Thanks for the places.sqlite suggestion. Bookmarks are added to the menu but not to the bookmarks toolbar. However, if you copy the whole profile they are displayed.

Obviously another file is involved for the toolbar display, but which one?

Edited by petekeller