KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

You would not believe it but the renaming of CC3260MT to 3260MT was a mistake. There where no registry unusual differences between file types and I discovered that when profiling with DW that 3260MT module loaded with a memory location starting with 3260 at times so I tried function call __getdrives in CC3260MT renamed BD60MT instead of previously 3260MT and it is an improvement. In saying this though each filter type will have different registry filter sizes and my system.dat is over 9200kB and the registry settings encroach on resources. I do not know enough to be more specific about it and we use KernelEx so there is function control added to the registry heap. This means that marginal applications that just work may not quite work depending on registry settings. The Mplayer2 WMP9 and Zoom player problems occur after registering LAV video 74.1.9 for XP in combination of using 40607 as Msvcrt. If 70.2.16 LAV filters are used then there are no problems with using Mplayer2 or WMP9 with 40607 and also not a problem with using LAV 74.1.9xp with 70.2 registry but after registering the 74.1.9 for XP filter/s then WMPlayers report errors with certain file types as explained before when using 40607 as Msvcrt. Once the program stops working after registering the filters a registry restore is required to get back the functioning. I use an off-line copy paste.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for a working "video output modules" setting for VLC player update 3.0.13 - so far without success. VLC crashes or give a Vlc-cone flicker with openGL. I had set 3.0.12 to Direct Draw., but this doesn't work anymore. Audio files are still playable.

Oh, checked it on a second machine and the videos play. Think one of my latest Kext test entries is the culprit.

=>Last week I experimented with Blinkopera and had added for it several API's to kexstubs.ini. The problem was [D3D9.DLL] Direct3DCreate9Ex.

Edited by schwups

I think the most up to date VLC player for Windows is 3.012 as this is the one that Video LAN directs to for Windows. Perhaps the update only applies to MAC and Android. 3.012 still works for me but the audio can clip and I do not like their normalizer as it bounces the level up and down. KMP 4.06 and PotPlayer 1.5.45955 have very good audio automatic gain control if wanting to use it. VLC 2.05 does not clip the audio and all plugins work were as 3 some don't. It would be a shame to ruin a good system just for one player. I have Windows Media player 10 working as WMP10 now and PotPlayer if placing ffcodec.dll in the system folder made a performance improvement. Ffcodec.dll is not a registered module and therefore I think this is where the slight improvement occurs and sometimes linking it to Msvcr80 40607.52 as Msvcrt can improve performance as well. I use Msvcrt from server 2k3 SP2 now as system Msvcrt as explained. BD60MT was not a good rename for the Borland module either as it still could be in the memory range. I am using Crtdll for _getdrives for 40607 if I am using the 40607 module. After opening a Mozilla based browser with many pages open or you use a mail server then the Other memory shown in System Monitor approaches 1.1GB and only a fraction of it is released after exiting. This clashes with PotPlayer's EVR and DXVA playback as it too uses Other memory locations. With PotPlayer though it releases most Other memory if not all of it back after exiting. To make Potplayer usable after browsing with FireFox, - any Mozilla, then PotPlayer needs to be running before the browser is opened. Opera does not release all of its Other memory it occupied as well  but it does not clash with PotPlayer.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I have set audio output modul to waveout for all versions 3.0.x due to repeated playback problems with automatic. WaveOut is completely OK to my ears. 3.0.13 (win32) is already in the vlc archive, but not on Vlc download page. And many thanks for your answer and tips.:thumbup

Setting audio output to WaveOut of VLC3 stops the clipping. The audio output runs louder on VLC3 compared to VLC2 and using the WaveOut stops clipping on my test video. Thanks for the tip. I run Hidserv.exe KernelEx disabled as sometimes it stalls loading at runtime. It is early days for this, the fix is uncertain but so far run time programs load fast and unhesitant. The KernelEx disabled on executables only has issues with overriding the individual module settings of the Players and some other ones like the YouTube downloader which uses Python. MS Money 2002 needs KernelEx24 disabled on the executables for it to work.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
spelling could have given wrong meaning to reader

• 2 months later...

You need to set VLC3 to no more than WinMe settings for the VLC executable with KernelEx24. BASE should be OK. VLC3 obeys the Window Metrics but font size will be a problem if you have enlarged the fonts too high. The GUI of VLC3 (but not VLC2) enlarges to coupe with the larger font size but an underscore is displayed as the text so if larger font settings are used choose a narrow font like Arial Narrow for the Icon font. Narrow is the height and compressed is the width. The experiment was done with font size enlarged to 170%. VLC2 still displayed text OK. VLC uses the icon font settings in menus because they are next to icons. If using a too later version of USP10 then there will be no text at all. If the user interface just has an underscore as text as explained in previous sentences then a KernelEx setting of NT40 or higher produces the text but text system metrics are not the same and you have a smaller text displayed. A problem then occurs that as soon as a menu is selected you get an error in libqt_plugin but videos will play without touching any menu functions or right clicking video which accesses menu functions.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

After changing fonts or sizing fonts then the small icon size is reset to default. Here is the reg settings to change back to a preferred icon size. This example has animations enabled and 32bit icons.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"IconTitleWrap"="1"
"Shell Icon Size"="48"
"MinAnimate"="1"
"No32BitIcons"="0"
"Small Icon Size"="32"
"Shell Small Icon Size"="48"

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 10 months later...

SumatraPDF 3.4.3 runs with KernelEX core update 25 (without Kext). It loads quite slowly here, but it seems to work.  I tried compatibility modes Vista and Win7. A printer is not connected.

Details:
Versions 3.2 and higher:

Installer works incorrectly, extremely slow and is not usable. Use zip or portable (launcher version 1.6.8. of SumatraPDF 2.2.1 instead of launcher 2.2)

Old issue on 98/ME - tabs are not labelled.

Toolbar is broken. Use XP versions 3.3.x provided in the XP forum here.

3.2 requires d2d1.dll and Kext:
[GDI32.DLL]
D3DKMTCreateDCFromMemory=n1
D3DKMTDestroyDCFromMemory=n1
I had set the value to n1, but there might be better definitions. kexbases has D3DKMT_CreateDCFromMemory and D3DKMT_DestroyDCFromMemory.
This version crashes on exit.

3.3 crashes on start.

3.3.1 - 3.3.3 start and run fast.

3.4 untestet

3.4.1 - 3.4.3 start and load slow.

Other requirements GDIPlus.dll, DBGHelp.dll, msvcrt.dll 6.1.9848.0, CPU with SSE2 ? - see KernelExWiki.

Edited by schwups