Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
It seems not clear and ambiguous. link  link 2

Until clarifying I removed it in the Wiki.

Edited by schwups, 24 November 2012 - 09:39 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Zollex

Zollex

Junior

• Pip
  • 56 posts
Can someone test the emulator project 64 with Win98 and Kernelex? It 'also require a voodoo card.

Link to my emulator: http://BillionUploads.com/3l888yjvz0c9 For a game try Planetemu

Sorry for annoying

sicksalad

sicksalad
  • 4 posts
I was hoping to update some entries on the kernelex wiki and I wanted to make sure what the latest working versions are

I have 2011-11-18 build date for FFdshow installed. Is it possible to get a later version working using kexstubs?

Now that FFdshow has stopped active devlopment, what is the last working version of lavfilter? I have version 0.48 installed, and have failed to get any of the later versions to work. Also Lavfilters crashes when it tries to decode AVC and vp8 video, is that just a problem on my computer?

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

I was hoping to update some entries on the kernelex wiki and I wanted to make sure what the latest working versions are

I have 2011-11-18 build date for FFdshow installed. Is it possible to get a later version working using kexstubs?

Now that FFdshow has stopped active devlopment, what is the last working version of lavfilter? I have version 0.48 installed, and have failed to get any of the later versions to work. Also Lavfilters crashes when it tries to decode AVC and vp8 video, is that just a problem on my computer?

Latest versions I can run are LAVFilters 0.50.5 (2012/05/12) and FFDShow 1.1.4281 (2012-01-25). Both require some hex editing of functions to run in addition to have KernelEx installed. I don't have KexStub installed ATM so can't say whether more recent versions of those filters would run with it.

I have no problem decoding AVC with LAVVideo, I just checked this out in GraphStudio, normally using CoreAVC for AVC as it allows me to play 1080p HD video without any glitch unlike the other decoders which max out the CPU for such files. Not sure about VP8 as I don't have a webm file at hand to test right now but I think it would work as well. Btw I split both MKV and WEBM with Haali 1.11.288.0 which I think is the latest version.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
Do anyone else experience improperly rendered pages and "internal communication error" messages on Opera 12.02 release version ? Sometimes it takes a lot of refreshing to get a page show up properly...
I'll try some older snapshot builds, maybe they work better on that part.

11.60 is blazing fast compared to 12.02, and so far seems to behave really nicely too

Edited by TmEE, 24 January 2013 - 06:12 PM.

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Do anyone else experience improperly rendered pages and "internal communication error" messages on Opera 12.02 release version ? Sometimes it takes a lot of refreshing to get a page show up properly...
I'll try some older snapshot builds, maybe they work better on that part.
11.60 is blazing fast compared to 12.02, and so far seems to behave really nicely too

I've never had any real problems with Opera 12.02.
I consider that it will probably be the last version that will work under Windows 98, and therefore the most secure.
There's odd niggles like not being able to move things around on the toolbars, but in actual use it seems to be stable and fast.
:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
Same as Dave-H with Opera 12.02 here, no issue at all that would make me want to go back to an earlier version.

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I am actually getting the problem on 11.60 too, but not as severe. It sometimes takes one reload for a page to show up all the elements... I needed a lot more with 12.02. Gmail was really slow in 12.02, and was so on winXP too - every operation had 1+ second latency...
One other friend of mine is experiencing same kind of problems as well.
EDIT: Seems that enabling the disk cache seems to have improved the situation... I keep the disk cache off and only use the memory cache because it is faster and my internet connection is 120Mbit so caching is not necessary...

Edited by TmEE, 25 January 2013 - 05:57 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

I am actually getting the problem on 11.60 too, but not as severe. It sometimes takes one reload for a page to show up all the elements... I needed a lot more with 12.02. Gmail was really slow in 12.02, and was so on winXP too - every operation had 1+ second latency...
One other friend of mine is experiencing same kind of problems as well.
EDIT: Seems that enabling the disk cache seems to have improved the situation... I keep the disk cache off and only use the memory cache because it is faster and my internet connection is 120Mbit so caching is not necessary...

There are plenty of posts on the Opera user forum from people suffering poor performance even with the latest version under supported operating systems.
Others always come back saying they have no problems at all!
I guess there are just some systems that Opera doesn't perform well on.
It would be good if a common cause could be found, but I suspect that's unlikely.
I've been using Opera for years, since version 7, and never had any major problems with it (touch wood!)

Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I have been pretty much exclusively using it since 9, before that it was MSIE and briefly firefox. Opera is great even dispite the occasional problems I get !

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Seems that enabling the disk cache seems to have improved the situation... I keep the disk cache off and only use the memory cache because it is faster and my internet connection is 120Mbit so caching is not necessary...

Hi TmEE, do you mean the Windows disk cache or Opera's cache ?? Thx, Mikl

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
Opera's own of course. I right now have 400MB memory cache and 100MB disk cache.
Windows disk cache is set to 128MB.
So far everything has behaved nicely here !

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
As an aside, I think you should always have disk caching enabled on any browser, no matter how fast your internet connection is.
If you don't, you will be re-downloading things from the web un-necessarily, which increases net congestion for everybody.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
Latest SoftMaker FreeOffice runs fine. Not too straightforward to install however, requiring to run the exe installer, then fetching the msi in the temp folder before cancelling and then editing the MSI with Orca to delete the Launch Condition table after which the MSI executes and installs normally.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

Prozactive

Prozactive

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Same as Dave-H with Opera 12.02 here, no issue at all that would make me want to go back to an earlier version.

I also switched to Opera 12.02 a while back courtesy of Dave-H via another forum. So far it's been working well overall despite some formatting bugs, especially a black background on the navigation/URL and some other tabs that make it extremely difficult or impossible to view the buttons/options (using the Windows Native skin). Searches of the Opera forums show this is a common complaint without any solution, unfortunately. In recent weeks I have noticed progressively increased load times for Opera, which is becoming extremely annoying. It now takes around 3 mins for the Opera task to show up on the Windows taskbar and around 5+ mins before it fully loads with the bookmarks toolbar, etc. I have no idea why this is occurring. Also, occasionally the Opera window will freeze and become unresponsive, and then not redisplay after minimizing/restoring. The only way to solve this problem is to exit and reload Opera.

Not to be the Thread Police, but it would be nice if these recent Opera-related posts could be moved to the long extensive Opera/KernelEx thread that dencorso and I spent a great deal of effort a while back creating.

Edited by Prozactive, 27 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

Giant2011

Giant2011

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
No problems here with opera 12.02 and kernelex 4.5.2 and windows 98 SE.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Latest SoftMaker FreeOffice runs fine. Not too straightforward to install however, requiring to run the exe installer, then fetching the msi in the temp folder before cancelling and then editing the MSI with Orca to delete the Launch Condition table after which the MSI executes and installs normally.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

Yes it works, but I can't print. The app doesn't find the printer.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
Yes, I've noticed this too, and exported pdfs are all white for some reason... However it converts and save Office 2010 documents which are fully editable to earlier versions without problems.

There is also the Kingsoft Free Office Suite and this one appears to be able to print. The last full package doesn't work at all but the individual apps, Writer, Presentation and Spreadsheets which can be downloaded separately and are of a slightly earlier version (8.1.0.3022) do run fine.

http://www.kingsofts...ffice-list.html

Both the Kingsoft and SoftMaker free Office suites are better at rendering MS Office documents than Open Office IMO (and faster to load).

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Donator

According to KernelEx wiki, AbiWord 2.8.6 is compatible. I haven't found this to be the case however. I set it for Windows Vista mode, which I think is the default for Abiword... but nothing happened, wouldn't open.

On the other hand, I did manage to run 2.6.8. It worked fine, except for poorly rendered toolbar buttons.

Anyways, I was just wondering if this was a typo on the KernelEx wiki or If I was doing it wrong.

But I believe it should be changed to 2.6.8 so as not to confuse people and for the sake of accuracy. Anybody get 2.8.6 to work?

*Edit*

According to Abiword homepage, under system requirements, version 2.4.6 is last to work under Win9x. This is the one I've been using for years. Still good and handy. But I was looking to upgrade when I noticed this error(?) on the wiki.

Edited by LostInSpace2012, 02 February 2013 - 12:00 AM.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
AbiWord 2.8.6 working fine here, no typo in the wiki.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

According to KernelEx wiki, AbiWord 2.8.6 is compatible. I haven't found this to be the case however. I set it for Windows Vista mode, which I think is the default for Abiword... but nothing happened, wouldn't open.

On the other hand, I did manage to run 2.6.8. It worked fine, except for poorly rendered toolbar buttons.

Anyways, I was just wondering if this was a typo on the KernelEx wiki or If I was doing it wrong.

But I believe it should be changed to 2.6.8 so as not to confuse people and for the sake of accuracy. Anybody get 2.8.6 to work?

*Edit*

According to Abiword homepage, under system requirements, version 2.4.6 is last to work under Win9x. This is the one I've been using for years. Still good and handy. But I was looking to upgrade when I noticed this error(?) on the wiki.

Hallo LostInSpace2012,

I had added Abiword on the wiki. Abiword 2.8.6 runs on all my systems. The Vista mode is the default for Abiword. Your system must be missing something to run 2.8.6.

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Donator

When I run 2.8.6 it comes up with this error:

A required file, MSVCP90.DLL, is required to run this program.

So I downloaded that dll to my system folder and the abiword folder, and it sill didn't work. I don't know why it still doesn't work.... but oh well no big deal.

I downloaded it from Dll-Files.com

Well, I'm happy with version 2.6.8 :-)

It's faster and more responsive, not to mention doesn't crash as much as 2.4.6

Edited by LostInSpace2012, 03 February 2013 - 12:54 AM.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

When I run 2.8.6 it comes up with this error:

A required file, MSVCP90.DLL, is required to run this program.

So I downloaded that dll to my system folder and the abiword folder, and it sill didn't work. I don't know why it still doesn't work.... but oh well no big deal.

I downloaded it from Dll-Files.com

Well, I'm happy with version 2.6.8  :-)

It's faster and more responsive, not to mention doesn't crash as much as 2.4.6

I checked this. The MSVCP90.DLL is required for version 2.8.6. Make sure that you have MSVCP90.DLL version 9.0.21022.8! Or install MS Visual C++ red 2008 (VC_R_9x.EXE)! MSVCP90.DLL is part of it. I add it on the wiki.

Edited by schwups, 03 February 2013 - 05:50 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Hello, this is sequel of an old thread that tries to collect informations from users about working apps under Win98SE+KernelEx. I'll try to manage a compact and sorted list in the 1st post for better readability. In your posts please note exact version of app (you can include link), version of KernelEx and compatability mode you used. If it's working partially, shortly note what doesn't work.

- = What doesn't work = -
AviDemux 2.5.3, why: Failed with missing MSVCRT.DLL:_fstat64

As you can see, I have it working with a modified MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 from Windows XP SP3. Thanks to a very good friend of mine for sending me the patched file. I'm testing it as we speak. It will be in the next version SP3.17 :w00t:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 03 February 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

As you can see, I have it working with a modified MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 from Windows XP SP3

I have just msvcrt.dll 6.10.8924.0 and I can run Avidemux 2.5.3 too. ;)

Edited by rainyd, 03 February 2013 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN