KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

Java 6 Update 39 (hyper critical security fix) OK.

Require KexStub to install.

Thanks for the info !! :thumbup

Loblo, by the way - do you have the latest flashplayer installed and does the control panel work on ME ??

If not, could you - as the king of the hex'er :hello: look into it ?

Edited by MiKl

• 1 month later...

Install Java 6 Update 43 under Win98 SE without KernelEx extensions

In recent weeks I have been looking for a possibility to install Java 6 update 32 and higher with KernelEx without DIY KernelEx extensions (K452stub) under Win98 SE. MSFN member Blackwingcat developed extensions for Windows 2000 Professional. Blackwingcat got error (Oracle bug ID 7166889) analyzed and developed a Java 6 update 43 solution for Win2000 SP4. His version can not be installed in the standard procedure under Win98 SE or in silent mode, but the unzipped installer (with 7-Zip) contains an additional modified msi installer. The Java 6 update 43 msi installer creates no entry in the Control Panel. After installation you will find in the folder Java / bin two plugin folder. Folder plugin2 must be renamed as described in KernelEx Wiki. I have testet the modified Java v6 update 43 + Java 3D v1.3.1 under Win98 SE with KernelEx v4.5 Final and Mozilla Firefox v2.0.0.20 + v3.5.19 standard + portable without errors. Please check the results for accuracy. Thank you.

You can download the modified Java 6 update 43 from Blackwings Blog: Java Installer for Windows 2000

Java 6 Update 39 (hyper critical security fix) OK.

Require KexStub to install.

Thanks for the info !! :thumbup

Loblo, by the way - do you have the latest flashplayer installed and does the control panel work on ME ??

If not, could you - as the king of the hex'er :hello: look into it ?

Haha, didn't notice this post before so sorry for late reply.

Latest Flash works but it's control panel doesn't and doing something about it is way above my league I am afraid.

My lame hex hacks have their limits, nothing to do with real stuff a la Xeno, Tihiy or Jumper.

There is also the Kingsoft Free Office Suite and this one appears to be able to print. The last full package doesn't work at all but the individual apps, Writer, Presentation and Spreadsheets which can be downloaded separately and are of a slightly earlier version (8.1.0.3022) do run fine.

http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/software/pc-office-list.html

Both the Kingsoft and SoftMaker free Office suites are better at rendering MS Office documents than Open Office IMO (and faster to load).

Thanks for the tip, loblo! :thumbup

I installed Kingsoft Presentation 8.1.0.3030 and, for the first time, can view PPTX slide shows. By comparison, Open Office 3.2.1 displays OK in preview mode only, the actual slide show is unviewable due to horrible rendering bugs. OTOH, I have better success using Open Office 3.2.1 for XLSX spreadsheets.

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm inspecting Mozilla Thunderbird versions 3.1.20, 9.0.1 and 10.0.12esr. On two test systems Thunderbird crashes immediately in order to print and when opening the print preview.

Apart from that Thunderbird runs fine. On a third machine printing and the preview work. Only the images of the prints are very small. I use the same Kstub.ini on each test machine. Any ideas?

I checked a lot of XP files in my system folder. Any missing dll or update? However, I can't figure out whether I can print on one and not on the others. I'll keep looking.

The DependencyWalker and the ImportPatcher don't show any errors for the Thunderbird.exe 9.0.1 and 10.0.12 and no dependencies with comdlg32.dll.

Only "GetProcessIoCounters" (DW), but this is supported by KernelEX.

I added Thunderbird to the Wiki. :hello:

Edited by schwups

• 2 weeks later...

has any one tried palemoon? it is firefox optimized for windows. there is version of FF# that is optimized for older cpus. i think i have it installed on ym 98 laptop, this time around i'm in a VM with GPU acceleration so i'll stick with vanilla FF.

has any one tried palemoon? it is firefox optimized for windows. there is version of FF# that is optimized for older cpus. i think i have it installed on ym 98 laptop, this time around i'm in a VM with GPU acceleration so i'll stick with vanilla FF.

Two posts about Pale Moon: link 1 link 2  But I haven't tried Pale Moon on a VM. Pale Moon 4 + requires a processor with SSE2 support. PaleMoon 3.x should work with SSE support.

Currently there is no workaround to run Pale Moon 12 and higher!

• 2 months later...

Thank you. :thumbup

Since you mentioned SQLite3, I should say that I've been working on an AHK wrapper for the official version and in the process I noticed it would fail unless KernelEx compatibility is set specifically to Windows 98SE or Windows ME. Any other compatibility mode would yield library failure. Even so, I still have other glitches which may or may not be due to my scripts.

Observations were made on a Windows98SE machine with KernelEx 4.5.2.

I wonder, if you could rebuild mozsqlite3.dll in recent Firefox versions that can be run under Win9x, without VC2010 runtime dependencies and with the right patches to work in 98SE/ME without special compatibility mode set, could that fix once and for all the missing bookmarks and other features, considering those are being manipulated through SQLite3 databases? It's an idea... :angel

Thank you. :thumbup

I wonder, if you could rebuild mozsqlite3.dll in recent Firefox versions that can be run under Win9x, without VC2010 runtime dependencies and with the right patches to work in 98SE/ME without special compatibility mode set, could that fix once and for all the missing bookmarks and other features, considering those are being manipulated through SQLite3 databases? It's an idea... :angel

Hi.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1452362.html

I can create binary for Windows 95 with VC2010.

I think we can compile mozsqlite3.dll with VC2008 or VC2010 and without runtime ( use -mt option ) custmize for Win9x.

I recommend use VC++2008 :)

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1804729.html

You can find the reason why the recent version sqlite3 does not work on Windows 9x and how to resolve it.

Edited by blackwingcat

Gomen, I wish I had enough time and brains power to learn Japanese - would've come in handy right now. :blushing:

My main development machine is a Windows98SE with KernelEx and VC6 and only a couple days ago I installed VC2003 on a XP machine for some testing. Unfortunately VC2008 or 2010 are way out of my reach. And most of the C/C++ knowledge, to be honest. :angel

Moreover, it seems Mozilla are advancing in SQLite library versions with every major Firefox version, as the official SQLite advances too. I've had some incompatibilities between 3.7.17 and 3.8.0.2 in my scripts and I would bet this would happen with older versions too. Therefore, which Firefox version would be best targeted for library rebuild, since it would be quite unfeasible to build a whole range of mozsqlite3 libraries for different Firefox versions?

I've come to this point with my own wrapper where I wonder if older versions should be supported or just stick with whatever is the latest currently. Personally I like to give and be given choices, but sometimes it's tough. What do you think?

Oh and I just cracked open the installer for Firefox 24 - it doesn't have any mozsqlite3.dll inside. Unless it's being built on spot through some delta package or retrieved online (unlikely), we might just be in for a surprise. :}

Hi.

I think you only notice the difference sqlite3 source code Windows 9x :)

Don't worry Japanese description.

I feel happy in the sense of accomplishment when I run the program that it would not run.

That is enough for me. :whistle:

In Firefox 23 and later version, the sqlite3 was intergrated into nss3.dll.

It exports the following functions

sqlite3_aggregate_context
sqlite3_aggregate_count
sqlite3_auto_extension
sqlite3_bind_blob
sqlite3_bind_double
sqlite3_bind_int
sqlite3_bind_int64
sqlite3_bind_null
sqlite3_bind_parameter_count
sqlite3_bind_parameter_index
sqlite3_bind_parameter_name
sqlite3_bind_text
sqlite3_bind_text16
sqlite3_bind_value
sqlite3_busy_handler
sqlite3_busy_timeout
sqlite3_changes
sqlite3_clear_bindings
sqlite3_close
sqlite3_collation_needed
sqlite3_collation_needed16
sqlite3_column_blob
sqlite3_column_bytes
sqlite3_column_bytes16
sqlite3_column_count
sqlite3_column_decltype
sqlite3_column_decltype16
sqlite3_column_double
sqlite3_column_int
sqlite3_column_int64
sqlite3_column_name
sqlite3_column_name16
sqlite3_column_text
sqlite3_column_text16
sqlite3_column_type
sqlite3_column_value
sqlite3_commit_hook
sqlite3_complete
sqlite3_complete16
sqlite3_config
sqlite3_create_collation
sqlite3_create_collation16
sqlite3_create_function
sqlite3_create_function16
sqlite3_create_module
sqlite3_data_count
sqlite3_db_handle
sqlite3_db_mutex
sqlite3_db_status
sqlite3_declare_vtab
sqlite3_enable_load_extension
sqlite3_enable_shared_cache
sqlite3_errcode
sqlite3_errmsg
sqlite3_errmsg16
sqlite3_exec
sqlite3_expired
sqlite3_extended_result_codes
sqlite3_file_control
sqlite3_finalize
sqlite3_free
sqlite3_free_table
sqlite3_get_autocommit
sqlite3_get_auxdata
sqlite3_get_table
sqlite3_global_recover
sqlite3_initialize
sqlite3_interrupt
sqlite3_last_insert_rowid
sqlite3_libversion
sqlite3_libversion_number
sqlite3_load_extension
sqlite3_malloc
sqlite3_memory_alarm
sqlite3_memory_highwater
sqlite3_memory_used
sqlite3_mprintf
sqlite3_mutex_alloc
sqlite3_mutex_enter
sqlite3_mutex_free
sqlite3_mutex_leave
sqlite3_mutex_try
sqlite3_next_stmt
sqlite3_open
sqlite3_open16
sqlite3_open_v2
sqlite3_overload_function
sqlite3_prepare
sqlite3_prepare16
sqlite3_prepare16_v2
sqlite3_prepare_v2
sqlite3_profile
sqlite3_progress_handler
sqlite3_realloc
sqlite3_release_memory
sqlite3_reset
sqlite3_reset_auto_extension
sqlite3_result_blob
sqlite3_result_double
sqlite3_result_error
sqlite3_result_error16
sqlite3_result_error_nomem
sqlite3_result_int
sqlite3_result_int64
sqlite3_result_null
sqlite3_result_text
sqlite3_result_text16
sqlite3_result_text16be
sqlite3_result_text16le
sqlite3_result_value
sqlite3_rollback_hook
sqlite3_set_authorizer
sqlite3_set_auxdata
sqlite3_shutdown
sqlite3_sleep
sqlite3_snprintf
sqlite3_sql
sqlite3_status
sqlite3_step
sqlite3_stmt_readonly
sqlite3_stmt_status
sqlite3_thread_cleanup
sqlite3_total_changes
sqlite3_trace
sqlite3_transfer_bindings
sqlite3_unlock_notify
sqlite3_update_hook
sqlite3_uri_parameter
sqlite3_user_data
sqlite3_value_blob
sqlite3_value_bytes
sqlite3_value_bytes16
sqlite3_value_double
sqlite3_value_int
sqlite3_value_int64
sqlite3_value_numeric_type
sqlite3_value_text
sqlite3_value_text16
sqlite3_value_text16be
sqlite3_value_text16le
sqlite3_value_type
sqlite3_version
sqlite3_vfs_find
sqlite3_vfs_register
sqlite3_vfs_unregister
sqlite3_vmprintf

Gomen, I wish I had enough time and brains power to learn Japanese - would've come in handy right now. :blushing:

My main development machine is a Windows98SE with KernelEx and VC6 and only a couple days ago I installed VC2003 on a XP machine for some testing. Unfortunately VC2008 or 2010 are way out of my reach. And most of the C/C++ knowledge, to be honest. :angel

Moreover, it seems Mozilla are advancing in SQLite library versions with every major Firefox version, as the official SQLite advances too. I've had some incompatibilities between 3.7.17 and 3.8.0.2 in my scripts and I would bet this would happen with older versions too. Therefore, which Firefox version would be best targeted for library rebuild, since it would be quite unfeasible to build a whole range of mozsqlite3 libraries for different Firefox versions?

I've come to this point with my own wrapper where I wonder if older versions should be supported or just stick with whatever is the latest currently. Personally I like to give and be given choices, but sometimes it's tough. What do you think?

Oh and I just cracked open the installer for Firefox 24 - it doesn't have any mozsqlite3.dll inside. Unless it's being built on spot through some delta package or retrieved online (unlikely), we might just be in for a surprise. :}

Ah, that's why I didn't see it - actually I saw nss3 but never looked through its exports.

They sure make it harder and harder. I miss old times... :(

Well, it's almost 12 hours past my bedtime, I should get some sleep. Maybe the new library will be ready when I wake up. :P

Good luck! ;)