Tweak to arrange the Win Explorer shell (right-click)

coucou

;7 Add Remove + Background right click

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\Add Remove]

@=""

"Icon"="imageres.dll,-161"

"Position"="Bottom"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\Add Remove\command]

@="control appwiz.cpl"

In that example we would add "Position"="Top"

been using Sendtoa3x quite awhile myself

You can only move it so far and some things default up top because they are dll and can't move them. You can set some things to bottom if you add them yourself

The sendtoa3x appears in the Send To and can't move that I know of yet. Can remove from there and create a personal menu and set Top but might not move as far as you want

I see you have both winzip, winrar and 7zip???? remove them other 2 and that will move things up, all I use is 7zip for everything

You can combine a lot of those sub menus but takes some work.

I'm kinda busy with win 8 :whistle: right now

an example of what I done with .wim

post-9484-0-22080300-1311623016_thumb.pn

Edited by maxXPsoft

Many thanks Max

Very useful example ;)

even more now that I look at it, you see that is at very top of menu and perhaps that holds the key for it being that way

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell

all the normal Windows operations are stored there cut, delete, copy, burn

All the ones I added are above because normal Windows operations start with Windows.burn and Windows.copy

interesting and didn't think about it before

Hmm I have a question. What are the different right mouse menus we can customize? Do you possibly have the registry trees noted down as well? I dug into the registry briefly and there are several confusing keys, like directory and folder, which are pretty much different words for the same thing in the general meaning...

We can add anything to our right click, just a matter of figuring it out.

I started this back with XP Add ons for right click MY Computer

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/13334-add-ons-for-right-click-my-computer/

for Windows 7 this is the new thing Background

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/13334-add-ons-for-right-click-my-computer/page__view__findpost__p__894130

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell]

Heres an example of Drive and Folder

;43 Add right Click Pin to Start / Taskbar

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\PinToStartMenu]

@="{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\PinToStartMenu]

Of course you can see if you add that and play with it then you cannot Pin anything unless it's like an executable EX: me.exe whether it's located in the root of the Drive or in a Sub folder on the drive. Something that is 'pin' able

Edited by maxXPsoft

Since it's still pretty confusing to me, this a list of various context menus I can change I noted down so far: (and which I find useful for my needs)

- My computer: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell

- anywhere in empty space on the desktop or a folder: HKCR\Directory\Background\shell

- folders and files: HKCR\Folder\shell

Questions:

1) What's the difference between these two, Drive and Folder? already using the latter, but no idea about the former.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\PinToStartMenu]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\PinToStartMenu]

Bottom line is, what are these two good for when there is already pin to start menu item available by default?

2) I added the Open command prompt here item. It works on folders, but what else would I need to change if I wanted to have it in the context menu of empty space anywhere inside a folder (I know it's half-pointless, but I ? I tried adding it to HKCR\Directory\Background\shell but it gives me error message "this file does not have a program associated with it blabla". I tried to use it in root of one of my drives, on the desktop etc.

3) Why does the "Find target" thing not work on specific icons like shortcut to user libraries, My computer and stuff like that? (I am not too surprised it doesn't, just curious why). I just found out there is hardcoded "Open file/folder location" item though, so maybe this tweak only makes sense for XP... (in that case I'd like to find a way to add an icon to the builtin one)

4) Where would I have to look to change (add) icons for standard context menu items like delete and rename? (or maybe is it different parts of registry based on what I r-click on?)

Edited by TheWalrus

1. Bad example. I found on a tweak site and I think it gives it some places it's not already there.

Drive will allow to Pin from root of drive like an exe. At 1 time I had a lot of those standalone virus check exe on diff drive.

But look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. Those are your right click on Drive

2. Its handy to have cmd prompt on background. I do a lot of Dos stuff for knowledge

Full cmd for Windows 7

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/13334-add-ons-for-right-click-my-computer/page__view__findpost__p__972365

3. Find target was for XP. Haven't found 'Open file location' yet. Might be added by a dll

4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.rename

Edited by maxXPsoft