Hotfixes for faster Windows 7 boot/startup

MagicAndre1981

I'd recommend you do not download hotfixes from any site other than Microsoft, there is no way to know what exactly you had tried to install.

they don't offer normal link to them :/

Windows Catalog site requires an ActiveX control to work, hence it requires IE. Since you have Windows, you should have IE, and should be able to visit that site in IE, download/install the control, and get the hotfix.

I removed it :P

As someone who knows a bit about Windows Internals and how IE works on Windows (and IE internals), you should trust me that no, it doesn't. However, it's your machine, and you should do with it what you will - just know that no, it doesn't actually make the system more secure to remove IE.

• 3 months later...

no, this update seems to work for all editions. It is only labeled Enterprise because it contains many network related hotfixes which are relevant in Enterprise environments.

So perhaps it might be a bad idea to apply these network related hotfixes to a normal, non-Enterprise desktop PC and it would be better just to apply the individual boot-related hotfixes?

Have any of the individual hotfixes been included/superseded by Windows Update yet as they're quite old and I'm wary of applying them in case they undo something good that a newer hotfix has done (i.e. make things worse)?

the Update Rollup is safe to use.

OK, I still prefer to use specific individual updates though. For instance, this one http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617858 is to fix slow boots caused by WMI problems and I don't have any corresponding entries in my log, so probably don't need it.

For others, it can be harder to decide as this one http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510636 refers to svchost.exe locking on to a service but doesn't describe how to establish whether this is happening or not and therefore whether one needs the hotfix. Although my svchost.exe is dated 2009 and the hotfix one is newer, dated 2011, for all I know Microsoft have fixed the problem via Windows Update by changing some other files, making it unnecessary to update svchost.exe now.

The hotfixes are also generally accompanied by this text "Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix", which is why I wonder if they might not already have been applied to my system via Windows Update.