Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx - Call for support

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Welcome! Will you add actual implementation or stubs?

P.S

If you decide to do this, this will allow me to take U98SESP3 beyond where it is at. I could start extending the 3.x build as soon as you release a stable build in due time. This means many users will benefit from this.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 23 January 2013 - 01:04 PM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
Thanks all for the welcome, but don't do false hopes, because I'm still not in the project, the author seems to be inactive, so I'm not able to publish my works over SVN.

Welcome! Will you add actual implementation or stubs?

I will add both, desktops and window station are actual implementations, they are *nearly* implemented, but, I don't use input device for desktops, I instead hide/show windows, it "works" well to me.

however :

- when you start EXPLORER in a new desktop, it doesn't start a new instance, instead, it open a folder, which resides on the explorer's desktop, I don't know if it's an explorer feature of Windows 9x, because in Windows NT, it starts a new instance
- 16-bit apps or apps that has KernelEx compatibility disabled will start on the input desktop
- window stations doesn't have their own atom table/clipboard (I could implement it but apps can disable KernelEx compatiblity)
- hung apps will have their windows showed on any desktops

I reworked ExitWindowsEx, organized files in kexbases.

And TeamViewer 6 is working (I don't know if it already worked before).

Edited by Leyok, 16 January 2013 - 04:40 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I'm glad you are here. Me and many others have been trying to breathe new life in the Win9x community. We've lost many over the years and gain so few. Believe it or not, you might help be my motivation for a Windows ME SP3. Lets see what the future brings. I feed off the negative and positive. Thanks again for your interest.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11
Awesome news !!! :thumbup

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08

I will add both, desktops and window station are actual implementations, they are *nearly* implemented, but, I don't use input device for desktops, I instead hide/show windows, it "works" well to me.

however :

- when you start EXPLORER in a new desktop, it doesn't start a new instance, instead, it open a folder, which resides on the explorer's desktop, I don't know if it's an explorer feature of Windows 9x, because in Windows NT, it starts a new instance

And TeamViewer 6 is working (I don't know if it already worked before).

To echo everyone else - Welcome! :hello:

Now, I'm a little confused by this "desktop", "window station" and "Explorer ... doesn't start a new instance" stuff. Is this something that will affect the normal behaviour of the W9X GUI?

Lastly, if I remember correctly, TeamViewer 6 runs natively on W98.

Joe.

Edited by jds, 17 January 2013 - 01:21 AM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Since Xeno has not been seen here in over six months, and as you say he appears to be inactive at sourceforge and the KernelEx home page, perhaps some of the other more senior members here might have suggestions as to how/where to post your work.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Do you mean "Launch folder windows in a separate process"? I can check this on Win ME.

Attached File  Folder Options.png   8.82KB   6 downloads

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

To echo everyone else - Welcome! :hello:

Now, I'm a little confused by this "desktop", "window station" and "Explorer ... doesn't start a new instance" stuff. Is this something that will affect the normal behaviour of the W9X GUI?

Lastly, if I remember correctly, TeamViewer 6 runs natively on W98.

Joe.

http://msdn.microsof...8(v=vs.85).aspx

This will inded affect the normal behaviour of the GUI,
we could even make windows 9x run "multiples sessions" (but, they're not real isolated sessions),

to disconnect the current session, we have to see in USER.EXE how ExitWindows manage to send MPREXE a logoff message,
create a remote thread in MPREXE that create/open desktops and window stations, make MPREXE open the session,
and then we are done

Do you mean "Launch folder windows in a separate process"? I can check this on Win ME.

I mean starting a new explorer shell, I'm actually confused that explorer doesn't start in a new desktop.

Anyways, if someone that can talk to Xeno, could tell him about me

Edited by Leyok, 17 January 2013 - 12:53 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

There's nothing to talk to him about or tell him. You don't need his permission to update this. All you have to do is a find a place to upload the file and users will start testing. Xeno86 has left a long time ago and he doesn't plan on coming back anytime soon. If you are going to based the project off his feedback, then we can call it a dead issue. He's not responding to the Win9x community.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11

There's nothing to talk to him about or tell him. You don't need his permission to update this. All you have to do is a find a place to upload the file and users will start testing. Xeno86 has left a long time ago and he doesn't plan on coming back anytime soon. If you are going to based the project off his feedback, then we can call it a dead issue. He's not responding to the Win9x community.

If KernelEx is Open Source then I also don't think that you need Xeno's permission.
I would love if you could do something to enable us to use as modern browsers as possible.

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
Well then, I made a repository : https://github.com/Ley0k/KernelEx/
as well as new modifications.

Edited by Leyok, 17 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
There is a GNU license, and it permits to do whatever you want as long as source is available.

I am stoked to see new developments !
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06

Thanks all for the welcome, but don't do false hopes, because I'm still not in the project, the author seems to be inactive, so I'm not able to publish my works over SVN.

Well you haven't made a single attempt to contact me...

Anyway, it's nice to see some developer actually interested in continuing the project.
While I'm not actively developing the project myself anymore, I can help in getting started with the project.
Just PM me.
KernelEx: home board download

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,934 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Anyway, it's nice to see some developer actually interested in continuing the project.

It's great to hear from you, Xeno86!
And nice to see you still keep with us, even if not actively developing any 9x/ME projects anymore.
:hello:

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12
That looks great, Ley0k!
Would someone care to compile his repository, for some of us newbies?
Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.
Oh blah, blah, blah, your needs!

Hu$tle

Hu$tle

Junior

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06

That looks great, Ley0k!

Yeah, that would nice, but this guy seems to like his video games more.

Hu$tle

Hu$tle

Junior

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06

While I'm not actively developing the project myself anymore, I can help in getting started with the project.
Just PM me.

You haven't been on the scene in a while. What do you expect, people to chase you down when you don't want to be found. You abandoned your project that was originally created by LLXX regardless if you rewrote it from scratch. She was and will always be the founder, like it or not. You chose to quit, now you want the praise. Sit your young @$$ down and develop for Win 7 and Win 8 because you are not worthy to speak on Win9x.

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11
You're at it again, Hu$tle. Sometimes, you look at these projects in a negative light. Do you realize how much time and effort was put into it? Xeno could be doing any number of things, but he chose to work for the dwindling 9x community, without any reward to compensate.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you volunteer your spare time into projects such as this, or in your school, or even at a local non profit. This can help open your mind to the importance of working together as a community. And if you don't have that kind of time to spare, then you already understand very well why Xeno and others can't work on projects like this indefinitely. Like you, they have their own lives to attend to, and many other important priorities that sometimes WILL get in the way.

Instead of looking at what they have done for you lately, please try to see it for what they have already given to the community. If you still feel that they haven't given enough, then there's not much else to say.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,934 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

You haven't been on the scene in a while. What do you expect, people to chase you down when you don't want to be found. You abandoned your project that was originally created by LLXX regardless if you rewrote it from scratch. She was and will always be the founder, like it or not. You chose to quit, now you want the praise. Sit your young @$$ down and develop for Win 7 and Win 8 because you are not worthy to speak on Win9x.

Say hello to LLXX. Rule #7.b

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

That looks great, Ley0k!

It seems somewhat of a headache to compile. For starters, if you don't have or use the tools thats needed, then one must learn them all. This can be time consuming. I guess we will have to wait for someone to compile it.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

That looks great, Ley0k!

It seems somewhat of a headache to compile. For starters, if you don't have or use the tools thats needed, then one must learn them all. This can be time consuming. I guess we will have to wait for someone to compile it.

I can compile it successfully and test it (otherwise I wouldn't even improve KernelEx lol).
As COMPILE.TXT says, you will need Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 to compile.

Edited by Leyok, 20 February 2013 - 01:21 PM.

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11
Hi Leyok, I don't know what your priorities are for a possible update(s) but it looks like as if JAVA 6 U41 will be the last !!!
http://www.java.com/...d/manual_v6.jsp

Do you think you could create an update which supports Java 7 and higher ??

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I can compile it successfully and test it (otherwise I wouldn't even improve KernelEx lol).
As COMPILE.TXT says, you will need Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 to compile.

It also says you need Microsoft Windows 98 Driver Development Kit (DDK) and NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System).
Like I said, these are tools one must learn, to do things correctly or it might cause problems with the system.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06

Say hello to LLXX. Rule #7.b

Just to clarify and clean my name. LLXX didn't influence my work. Ever. And I didn't base my code on any code originating from her.
For those who don't remember, the original idea for KernelEX came in 2005 from a small Portuguese project called Win98updt0001 (http://rwinds.no-ip....n98updt0001.zip) which implemented three API functions in just a few lines of assembly and my urge to run Need For Speed Most Wanted under Windows 98. Based on the success I expanded the code into first Kernel Update Project, then early KernelEx and what evolved into current KernelEx series in 2009.
All of the work was done by my and Tihiy's research, some parts were borrowed from Wine project.
You have absolutely no right to insult me and call me a thief because you clearly don't know the history and basic facts!

Having that said, share with us, Hu$tle, what was your contribution to Win9x scene?

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06
This just ensures me that I did a good thing by leaving the 9x scene. People are so angry and disrespectful for your work that it's actually a pain to read all that stuff. You got all the system enhancements for free and open sourced and I never asked for money. What do I get in return? Swears, disrespect. And all that not for the first time...
What I've learned is that people shouldn't receive anything for free because then they don't respect the stuff they get.
Sad but true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users