win6x_registry_tweak

Legolash2o

Hello

This is Sergey Tkachenko of Winaero.

The file on my website is a genuine file which was available in this thread at the moment of the writing of the above article.

Me, or anybody else, didn't modify a single byte of it.

However, following the Reddit thread here, it has come to my knowledge that the most recent app version has a variable renamed in the source code.

That hadn't been done by me. The site still offers the file I got from this thread by that time.

If it is a problem, I can update the archives.

However, I am pretty surprised that the Reddit topic starter is accusing me for integrating remote management code into the app. That is total BS, and he didn't provide any proof.

Some other guy on Reddit has decompiled both binaries, and found only two differences.

One is a removed "using" directive.

Another one is a renamed variable (structure -> LUID_AND_bla bla bla) in the TokenPrivilege routine.

The version I have on winaero can be downloaded by the link https://winaero.com/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-edge-browser-in-windows-10/

It can be audited by anyone.

I am not a Reddit user, but hell, I think I should join it and report the whole thread as a try to ruin my reputation.

Edited by hb860

Yeah I saw the Reddit post but this user seems to be determined that it is malware just on the basis of 1 false positive without any further convincing argument. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I trust Winaero tools and apps completely and do not think you are out to distribute malware, Sergey. 😆 If anything, the tweaks and tools at Winaero are very useful to Windows users. Legolash2o would know if he updated the file later without changing the version (and the size didn't change either). 

As for Defender, it is known to hang or slow down PCs even for perfectly harmless apps and tools. A couple of years ago, Defender used to choke whenever it encountered any EXE compiled by AutoHotkey AHK to EXE compiler. They never fixed it, eventually AutoHotkey updated their compiler.

Not ruling out a false positive! Just realized that the one you uploaded is not the file from here. And that it will be flagged by Defender, while the original version is not. And that I have not seen anyone on here who got a Defender warning from the offical tool. And that this new modified .exe can be found nowhere on the internet besides similar packed zips. Not even talking about in this thread.

Again, yes, this could be all coincidential. Have seen weirder things! But to act as if that is not highly, highly suspicious... To act as if it's somehow evil to make these facts public. To frame this as try to ruin your reputation... That's all just bul*****.

However, I am pretty surprised that the Reddit topic starter is accusing me for integrating remote management code into the app. That is total BS, and he didn't provide any proof.

Funny, because I (the reddit user) never claimed there is remote management code in your app! Weirdly specific... Is there remote management code in your app?

I for one got time, no reason to rush things. Can wait for Legolash2o to answer if this .exe. was in fact compiled by him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/7/2020 at 7:13 PM, blibluh said:

[...] Just realized that the one you uploaded is not the file from here. [...]

Wrong: the 'winaero version' is the recompiled '.NET4.6 version' which is supposed to be attached on OP, but apparently the attachment is (still) 0 Byte.

[...] And that this new modified .exe can be found nowhere on the internet besides similar packed zips. Not even talking about in this thread. [...]

Wrong: it is attached to a post by digitalboy as you could have easily found out by yourself if you had read (only) the last page (at that time) of this topic before you made your first rant post since Vertex Shader explicitly asked for Install_WIM-Tweak_v1-4-7-0_DotNET46 and jaclaz gave him precise answer linking to said post by digitalboy.

Both versions are hosted by german win-unattended.de as well.

SHA-256: afbf22880d0129f8b11b1a5876f175c874f52c8572cb5c4beda3c528241a8e6c *install_wim_tweak_NET4.6.exe

SHA-256: 1f6054e153129affc15982efe6d47a79c3c18e4d6a57c7835a511ea0de96ddb4 *install_wim_tweak.exe

Compare them to those you posted at reddits..

[...] Can wait for Legolash2o to answer if this .exe. was in fact compiled by him.

He already did a looong time ago.

Edited by mukke

• 1 year later...

Pretty interesting fork for those of us who are only interested in editing *.wim images?

https://github.com/jailbird777/wim_hacker

This is a crude fork to help solve that. I ripped out all of the "online" processing as I only want to edit .wim files. For online purposes, you can use PowerShell instead! I also slimmed down the options to the bare minimum, removing anything that I don't feel is beneficial for this use case.

https://github.com/jailbird777/wim_hacker/blob/fbf40c010c5f2d883c19e6f5144fcbd350ce0294/wim_hacker.csproj#L13

<TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.7.2</TargetFrameworkVersion>

• 4 months later...

What version of .Net does the tool requires ? I tried running it on my Windows 10 2019 LTSC and it complains that I don't have .Net 3.5 installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.