custom avatars and signatures

In my Post # 371, I presented an animated userbar for a totally wacked out, space cadet Homer Simpson. In that userbar I vertically scrolled an animated GIF on each end of the userbar. I mentioned in that Post that I'm really not a big fan of the Simpsons, but I saw a graphic of Homer that I liked, shown on the right side of the userbar below. I put an image of the entire Simpson family on the left side of the bar, with the intent that Homer on the right side is looking at the family members in shock that he has the family responsibilities. I put the names of all the family members on the left side simply as a space filler.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/AniMSUB011sec78uniqueframes255colors350x19pxOOED182KB.gif

AniMSUB011sec78uniqueframes255colors350x19pxOOED182KB.gif

This is a frame-by-frame animation: 78 unique frames, 0.11 sec display time per frame, 255 colors, 350x19px, 182 KB. The images are scrolled up and down at the rate of 2px per frame. The background with the moving scanlines is a 2-frame animated GIF, whose form I have used in many previous Posts.

They look great Kels! Good job Larry! My only comment would be that the true "square" corners and the rectangular outline of the avatar show up over at Wincert, such as here - http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/10836-win7-47gb/#entry94120. I'm sure they can be made transparent. The corners on the sig show up as round(ish) as possible. :)

Cheers and Regards

@ bphlpt:

The rectangular outline around the avatar at wincert is the way wincert has presented it. If you look closely, you will notice that there is a space between my "product" and the wincert rectangle. I have no control over how wincert deals with it. If you want wincert to remove the rectangle, you'll have to take it up with them. On that page you linked to, the avatars of Lurker and crashfly (which have square corners) also have the space and the outline around the image. It's more noticeable with the rounded corners. As proof of the fact that wincert introduces the outline, you don't see it on the MSFN avatar do you? To me, it really isn't that objectionable.

As far as the rounded corners on the avatar and the signature, they are perfect aliased. I originally made the corners anti-aliased, but when I stroked (i.e., outlined) them, a "blurriness" was introduced.

@ Kelsenellenelvian EverDawn:

The fact that I played a role in making a new avatar and signature that you like gives me satisfaction.

@ dencorso:

Thanks !!!

Edited by larryb123456

I made a transparent GIF of your avatar for you to experiment with at wincert to see if the wincert outline follows the curvature of the corners of the transparent GIF.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/NewWPItransparentGIFlogo.gif

NewWPItransparentGIFlogo.gif

Since GIFs can only have 256 colors at most, gradients do not render well, as can be seen in the "grainy-ness" in the lime region at the right.

But your avatar at wincert has been scaled down from 100x74px, the size I made it, to 90x67px, which has introduced some blurriness in itself, so I think the grainy-ness will be not as noticeable.

So, if the outline at wincert is rounded at the corners, the above logo might be perfectly fine there. This is just FYI, in case you want to experiment.

I'm a little curious to see if the wincert outline follows the curvature of the corners of the above GIF.

The rectangular outline around the avatar at wincert is the way wincert has presented it. If you look closely, you will notice that there is a space between my "product" and the wincert rectangle. I have no control over how wincert deals with it. If you want wincert to remove the rectangle, you'll have to take it up with them. On that page you linked to, the avatars of Lurker and crashfly (which have square corners) also have the space and the outline around the image. It's more noticeable with the rounded corners. As proof of the fact that wincert introduces the outline, you don't see it on the MSFN avatar do you? To me, it really isn't that objectionable.

Larry you are correct, of course. My apologies. I forgot that the same thing happens with my own transparent GIF avatar, which you so wonderfully made for me. What can I say? It was a long night last night. It will be interesting if the new avatar you made for Kel exhibits the same behavior.

Cheers and Regards

I made a transparent GIF of your signature too, http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/EverDawnWP-IW220pxlongtransparentGIF.gif

EverDawnWP-IW220pxlongtransparentGIF.gif

Know that the transparent GIFs of your avatar and signature can be used on *any* of your forums, regardless of what the background page color is. So, I guess you can "file these away", if you want to, because you can never tell what the situation might be in the future.

As far as the grainy-ness in the lime gradient area, I don't think the average viewer would even notice it.

As bphlpt would say,

Chairs and En Gardes

• 1 year later...
This is my first post in a little over a year, and I hope you like it.
(The future posts I'll make every few days or so will be similar in nature to this one.)

Over the last few months, when the mood would strike me, I'd make a userbar in the "Love" category.

I'm posting them now, one day before Valentine's Day, thinking that one of them might (?) make a nice e-mail Valentine to send to your sweetie.

If you don't have a sweetie, e-mail one to yourself, and when you receive it, act very surprised, and say "What a wonderful person I am for sending this lovely e-mail Valentine to me."

Here they are, presented in the order in which I made them:

zzz_love1.gif

zz_love2.gif

zz_love3.gif

zz_love4.gif

zz_love5.gif

zz_love6.gif

zz_love7.gif

Here are some "profound" love quotes that I like:

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."
Lao Tzu
"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye."

and

"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own."
Both quotes by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
Stephen Chbosky

If you like this post, please visit my MSFN post at http://www.msfn.org/...beshowroomlbbl/

and please give me 5-star votes -- (the star on the right) -- on the userbars in my Showroom (at http://www.userbars.be) that you like best.

To get to my Showroom, just click on the blue LBBL link *wherever* you see it at http://www.userbars.be

Thanks and Regards,

larryb123456

Edited by larryb123456

BTW, bphlpt, who made your simply-amazingly-beautiful avatar and signature?

Please don't tell me, 'cause I like for my mind to be in The Twilight Zone the mystery zone.

BTW, dencorso, I love both of the userbars in your signature -- especially the "Unstoppable Windows XP" userbar, with the massive-electrostatic-discharge lightning.

I wonder who made that one ?

Please don't tell me, 'cause I like for my mind to be in The Twilight Zone the mystery zone.

BTW, I just changed the phrase above my avatar to read "Confused but Happy".

I have no idea what that phrase means.

Please don't tell me what it means, 'cause I like for my mind to be in The Twilight Zone the mystery zone.