custom avatars and signatures

... in french one could say: "un tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l’auras" which has absolutely nothing to do with birds or bushes. It's also darn hard to translate that literally.

Google Translate turned that into:

a loaf is better than two in the bush

LOL

Cheers and Regards

I don't have a clue how to operate it.

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me ?

RTFM :w00t: (actually a singe instruction):

A simple flash app to demonstrate the form of modus ponens.

1. Add any proposition to the boxes marked ‘A’ and ‘B’ and press ‘Start’. The argument will be filled in.

Added in EDIT:

BTW, I've always thought that green women are very sexy. Almost as sexy as the purple women. For, as the well-known expression reads, "Spice is the Variety of Life" !!!

Yep :).

shes-green-star-trek-orion-slave-girls-girl-slavegirl-slaveg-demotivational-poster-1248607340.jpg

Birds, bushes: nonsense, everything revolves about eggs and chickens:

http://reboot.pro/3717/page__st__54

The "Is it better to have an egg today or a chicken tomorrow?" is just a rough English translation of an Italian saying:

[italian]

E' meglio un uovo oggi o una gallina domani?

[/italian]

the almost corresponding English saying should be:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-bird-in-the-hand.html

And, for NO apparent reason ;):

Chicken_Cross_Road7.JPG

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

FTFY.

JFYI, (nothing new under the sun) ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Menagerie_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)

In the scene on Rigel VII, Vina actually plays the slave girl painted in green makeup and dancing for Captain Pike. During preproduction makeup tests (using Majel Barrett as a stand-in), they sent the footage out for printing and when the film returned, there was little difference. The lab thought there had been an error in colorizing and thought they should compensate. The first time this happened, they reshot the film with a darker green and sent it out again for printing. The same thing happened again, but eventually the lab was notified to make no color changes.

jaclaz

@CoffeeFiend

Can you please help me with a Photoshop problem I'm having?

I have *never, ever* run into this kind of thing before, and I'm totally stumped.

I drag layers from one file into another file all the time.

Well, I tried to drag layers from file A into file B and nothing happened.

I got the outline of the rectangle that I'm dragging from A in file B, but when I let go of the mouse, there is no image of A in file B. (It looks like it does when you try to drag a layer from a file back into itself.)

Also, the outline of B doesn't "light up" as it normally does when I drag a file into it.

I double-checked to make sure that all image modes were RGB. They were.

Also, I created a New File and was able to drag layers from A into the New File O.K.

But when I tried to drag the same layers from the New File into B, I got exactly the same unsuccessful behavior as I had when I tried to drag A into B.

Some additional info: I made the layers in A by cropping and manipulating parts of B, but I've done that kind of thing before without this problem.

I closed and re-opened PS, but still had the same problem.

I restarted my computer, but still had the same problem.

I made copies of A and B, and dragged from A-copy into B-copy with exactly the same unsuccessful result.

As you know, if I can't drag layers from one file into another, I'm totally "dead in the water" as far as PS is concerned.

I hope you can figure this out for me.

It appears to me that "B" thinks that "A" is also "B".

Many Thanks, in advance, CoffeeFiend, for solving this problem for me.

Sincerely,

Larry

Sadly I don't recall running into this exact problem. Also, drag and drop works rather differently in modern versions (e.g. paste in place), as does the windowing modes, plus video acceleration and even a new layers palette in CS6, so anything I might say might work completely different from whatever version you're using.

I *really* wish I could help, but remembering solutions to certain particular quirks of a specific version of a program I haven't used in over a decade isn't as easy as it may seem.

Thanks, CoffeeFiend:

I can understand that you might not know "specifics", but would you be able to discuss "generalities" (i.e., basic requirements for successful dragging that would apply in all versions)?

If not, that's O.K.

I'll probably be able to figure out a work-around by going back to the point where I started cropping and manipulating the "B" components.

Thanks again.

Larry

-Select the layer you want to drag stuff from, then make your selection (or don't, if you want the entire thing).

-Make sure you have the move tool selected (press v)

-Drag the selected part (or from anywhere in the picture window) to the other document's tab

-Once the other tab becomes active, drop your content somewhere appropriate

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. There's nothing more to it, other tricks, gotchas or whatever that I'm aware of. It's never not worked for me.

Thanks, CoffeeFiend:

Yes, those are the (basic) steps that I've always used, *exactly* as you've described them.

I don't know why I ran into this problem, but I'm not going to spend any time trying to figure it out.

I'm redoing the troublesome parts using a little different approach -- (more cropping, less "manipulating", lol) -- and I'm sure everything will work out O.K.

I'll let you know if it doesn't.

Thanks again for your time.

I know you are busy with other things.

Sincerely,

Larry

@CoffeeFiend

This is just FYI:

Well, even with trying PS 5.0 work-arounds, the dragging problem persisted.

A few days ago, I installed Photoshop Extended CS3 -- (because I want to learn the timeline-animation features that will allow me to make *video* animations) -- and I tried very briefly to repeat the problematic dragging.

There were no problems in CS3.

I thought that maybe(?) some file in PS 5.0 had been corrupted, so I uninstalled/re-installed, but that didn't help at all.

The same *bizarre* dragging problem was still there.

I have no idea what's going on, but I'm not going to "worry my pretty little head" in trying to figure it out.

I'll finish my current frame-by-frame animation in CS3, and by so doing, I'll gain some familiarity with the program, and, in that way, I'll get a little head start in learning CS3 timeline animation.

Thanks again for your help.

My conclusion is that there's some VOODOO going on with PS 5.0 (speaking in *technical computer jargon*, of course).

Sincerely,

Larry

FYI, the Photoshop CS6 beta has a free 60 day trial. If you want to edit video with Photoshop, this one actually does it. It can open, edit and save (encode) videos directly.

Check it out here (that's a free course with some of the new features by Deke McLelland), just click on "Editing videos in the Timeline panel" near the bottom.

Then again, there are many other programs who are better at that kind of stuff.

Again, CoffeeFiend, Many Thanks for responding.

I really don't have a computer that's "high-powered enough" to run CS6.

(So I've been told.)

My computer is (AMD Athlon XP 1600+, 1.39 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM) running (Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3).

I've been told that CS3 is best for my machine (and not a higher version).

Plus, I have a friend who uses CS3 and who's good at making video animations.

So, by my using CS3 too, I have a good resource to use if I get stumped on a particular aspect.

I have heard of Deke McLelland before (even from a few years back) and I watched all of his "Editing videos in the Timeline panel" presentation.

I got a qualitative feel for the difficulty in making video animations, and, really, they don't seem extremely hard to make, especially with good software.

IMHO, you are a "Canadian XXXXX" for all the effort you've put into helping me over these past few months.

P.S.

I just caught the following mistake, seconds before I made the Post:

In the salutation, I called you "CoffeeShop" rather than "CoffeeFiend".

(lol)

I'm glad I caught that Freudian slip.

I definitely need psychoanalysis !!!

My computer is (AMD Athlon XP 1600+, 1.39 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM) running (Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3)

Ouch :( I was going to say that it runs great on my 5 year old Core 2 Duo PC (the kind of PC you can find on the used market for like $150 now) but that's underpowered indeed (the CPU is more than a decade old). The good news is you might be able to find something better than that on craigslist for next to nothing.