Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

custom avatars and signatures

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
722 replies to this topic

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,810 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
WOW THOSE ARE AMAZING!!!!

Here is the 1 change I would like to Scanlines luminosity = 21:

You mentioned stretching my name?

How about this:

I am in the process of changing my name (Yes irl and legally) can you fit "Kelsenellenelvian EverDawn" ?

Then as a bonus would you grab the recreated logo and the glow around it (Simply love that btw) and make a 100x100 avatar also?

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 30 December 2012 - 02:22 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

@ Kelsenellenelvian:

Kelsenellenelvian EverDawn (K.ED) the same length as Windows Post-Install Wizard (WP-IW) in the earlier version, 230px, http://i1196.photobu...IW230pxlong.jpg

Posted Image

Just in case you might feel that WP-IW overpowers K.ED in the above, I made another version with WP-IW reduced just a tad to 220px long, http://i1196.photobu...IW220pxlong.jpg

Posted Image

Then as a bonus would you grab the recreated logo and the glow around it and make a 100x100 avatar also?

Bonus? Sounds like the booby prize to me !!! (lol)

Seriously, we need more discussion on this.

By recreated logo, do you mean the logo you posted for downloading but with the bitmap/pixel letters for "WPI" ?

Did you also want the "WPIW.net" as in your present MSFN avatar ?

I am of the philosophy that you let all the graphic elements (images and text, etc.) in the avatar dictate the final proportions of the avatar. To me, that gives a more natural result than "force-fitting" the graphic elements into a 100x100px box. Of course, following my philosophy, one dimension of the avatar will be 100px. The other dimension might be 85px, etc. But I can start off with the 100x100px size and adjust the graphic elements as best I can, until it might become clear that 100x100px won't give a good result.

Did you want the lime (luminosity = 21) scanlines and the hint of the ellipse layer ?

I know that you want rounded corners.

When I get your feedback on all this, I can start work on this new project.

Edited by larryb123456, 31 December 2012 - 01:19 PM.

new_MSFN_static_signature.jpg

" What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality."  Plutarch

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,810 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
This is the "Main" area that I was talking about for the avatar. Attached File  EverDawnWP-IW220pxlong.jpg   4.8KB   2 downloads

Yes 21 is good.

No wpiw.net please. Just leave it out.

AWESOME artistry!

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

Sorry for being away for a couple of days.

As you can tell from your image, the avatar will wind up being 100px wide by "X" pixels tall, where "X" is less than 100px. (That is, the avatar will be a horizontal rectangle. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.)

I'll put a small area of black on each end of the avatar, for the fuschia and lime to "glow (i.e., transition) out of". (Believe me, the black is necessary.)

I'll make the avatar's rounded corners exactly the same size as on the userbar.

I won't be able to start on this for a couple of days. (Sorry)

Please give me your feedback on my comments here so that we will be "on the same page".

Thanks.

BTW, I'm very glad that you like the userbars.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,810 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Hell yeah

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

@ K/K.ED:

Hell yeah

Out of the infinity of human emotions that could be conveyed by that statement, I'll interpret it as "enthusiasm". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

New WPI Logo, 100x74px, http://i1196.photobu.../NewWPILogo.jpg

Posted Image

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

On another forum I'm on I just replaced my old avatar, "Chimp with a Gun", shown in my Post # 473, with this new one, that Pee-Wee Herman would be sure to like, http://i1196.photobu...6/NEWAVATAR.gif

Posted Image

This is a frame-by-frame animation: 18 frames, 0.14 sec display time per frame, 255 colors, 111x92px, 21 KB.
I was simply amazed that the file size was that small.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,810 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03

@ K/K.ED:

Hell yeah

Out of the infinity of human emotions that could be conveyed by that statement, I'll interpret it as "enthusiasm". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

New WPI Logo, 100x74px, http://i1196.photobu.../NewWPILogo.jpg

Posted Image

That's super!

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

@ K/K.ED:

I'm very glad you like it.

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

The userbar I'm presenting in this Post honors Albert Einstein, the German-born theoretical physicist who developed the general theory of relativity, thereby causing a revolution in Physics. For this achievement, Einstein is often regarded as the father of modern Physics and the most influential physicist of the 20th century. He is best known for his mass–energy equivalence formula, E = mc2, which has been called "the world's most famous equation".

http://i1196.photobu...pxOOED203KB.gif

Posted Image

This is a frame-by-frame animation: 80 unique frames, 0.10 sec display time per frame, 255 colors, 350x19px, 203 KB. The Einstein and atomic bomb blast JPEGs are scrolled vertically at the rates of 2px per frame and 3px per frame, respectively. Each time the entire phrase "Einstein was correct" is highlighted, the phrase stays highlighted for 4 frames (i.e., 0.40 sec) before the regular text appears again. I used this type of highlighting to be in tune with an atomic bomb going off. The background with the moving scanlines is a 2-frame animated GIF.

Einstein was famous for sticking out his tongue at people. But this was very tiring work, so when he became exhausted from doing this, he had a capable assistant take over for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some Albert Einstein quotes:
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

In my Post # 371, I presented an animated userbar for a totally wacked out, space cadet Homer Simpson. In that userbar I vertically scrolled an animated GIF on each end of the userbar. I mentioned in that Post that I'm really not a big fan of the Simpsons, but I saw a graphic of Homer that I liked, shown on the right side of the userbar below. I put an image of the entire Simpson family on the left side of the bar, with the intent that Homer on the right side is looking at the family members in shock that he has the family responsibilities. I put the names of all the family members on the left side simply as a space filler.

http://i1196.photobu...pxOOED182KB.gif

Posted Image

This is a frame-by-frame animation: 78 unique frames, 0.11 sec display time per frame, 255 colors, 350x19px, 182 KB. The images are scrolled up and down at the rate of 2px per frame. The background with the moving scanlines is a 2-frame animated GIF, whose form I have used in many previous Posts.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,810 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Hmmmmm how do they look?

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,889 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

They rock! :thumbup

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
They look great Kels! Good job Larry! My only comment would be that the true "square" corners and the rectangular outline of the avatar show up over at Wincert, such as here - http://www.wincert.n...7gb/#entry94120. I'm sure they can be made transparent. The corners on the sig show up as round(ish) as possible. :)

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

@ bphlpt:

The rectangular outline around the avatar at wincert is the way wincert has presented it. If you look closely, you will notice that there is a space between my "product" and the wincert rectangle. I have no control over how wincert deals with it. If you want wincert to remove the rectangle, you'll have to take it up with them. On that page you linked to, the avatars of Lurker and crashfly (which have square corners) also have the space and the outline around the image. It's more noticeable with the rounded corners. As proof of the fact that wincert introduces the outline, you don't see it on the MSFN avatar do you? To me, it really isn't that objectionable.

As far as the rounded corners on the avatar and the signature, they are perfect aliased. I originally made the corners anti-aliased, but when I stroked (i.e., outlined) them, a "blurriness" was introduced.

@ Kelsenellenelvian EverDawn:

The fact that I played a role in making a new avatar and signature that you like gives me satisfaction.

@ dencorso:

Thanks !!!

Edited by larryb123456, 10 January 2013 - 05:29 AM.

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

I made a transparent GIF of your avatar for you to experiment with at wincert to see if the wincert outline follows the curvature of the corners of the transparent GIF.

http://i1196.photobu...rentGIFlogo.gif

Posted Image

Since GIFs can only have 256 colors at most, gradients do not render well, as can be seen in the "grainy-ness" in the lime region at the right.

But your avatar at wincert has been scaled down from 100x74px, the size I made it, to 90x67px, which has introduced some blurriness in itself, so I think the grainy-ness will be not as noticeable.

So, if the outline at wincert is rounded at the corners, the above logo might be perfectly fine there. This is just FYI, in case you want to experiment.

I'm a little curious to see if the wincert outline follows the curvature of the corners of the above GIF.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

The rectangular outline around the avatar at wincert is the way wincert has presented it. If you look closely, you will notice that there is a space between my "product" and the wincert rectangle. I have no control over how wincert deals with it. If you want wincert to remove the rectangle, you'll have to take it up with them. On that page you linked to, the avatars of Lurker and crashfly (which have square corners) also have the space and the outline around the image. It's more noticeable with the rounded corners. As proof of the fact that wincert introduces the outline, you don't see it on the MSFN avatar do you? To me, it really isn't that objectionable.

Larry you are correct, of course. My apologies. I forgot that the same thing happens with my own transparent GIF avatar, which you so wonderfully made for me. What can I say? It was a long night last night. It will be interesting if the new avatar you made for Kel exhibits the same behavior.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

I made a transparent GIF of your signature too, http://i1196.photobu...nsparentGIF.gif

Posted Image

Know that the transparent GIFs of your avatar and signature can be used on *any* of your forums, regardless of what the background page color is. So, I guess you can "file these away", if you want to, because you can never tell what the situation might be in the future.

As far as the grainy-ness in the lime gradient area, I don't think the average viewer would even notice it.

As bphlpt would say,
Chairs and En Gardes

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,810 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Thank you very much!

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

You're very welcome!

Chairs and En Gardes

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

This is my first post in a little over a year, and I hope you like it.

(The future posts I'll make every few days or so will be similar in nature to this one.)

Over the last few months, when the mood would strike me, I'd make a userbar in the "Love" category.

I'm posting them now, one day before Valentine's Day, thinking that one of them might (?) make a nice e-mail Valentine to send to your sweetie.

If you don't have a sweetie, e-mail one to yourself, and when you receive it, act very surprised, and say "What a wonderful person I am for sending this lovely e-mail Valentine to me."

Here they are, presented in the order in which I made them:

zzz_love1.gif

zz_love2.gif

zz_love3.gif

zz_love4.gif

zz_love5.gif

zz_love6.gif

zz_love7.gif

Here are some "profound" love quotes that I like:

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."
Lao Tzu

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye."

and

"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own."
Both quotes by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
Stephen Chbosky

If you like this post, please visit my MSFN post at  http://www.msfn.org/...beshowroomlbbl/

and please give me 5-star votes -- (the star on the right) -- on the userbars in my Showroom (at http://www.userbars.be) that you like best.

To get to my Showroom, just click on the blue LBBL link *wherever* you see it at http://www.userbars.be

Thanks and Regards,

larryb123456

Edited by larryb123456, 17 February 2014 - 03:46 PM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

Welcome back, Larry!

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,889 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

+1 :hello:

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

Thank you so much, bphlpt and dencorso.

+1 :hello: to both of you.

Your friend,

Larry

Edited by larryb123456, 14 February 2014 - 08:05 AM.

larryb123456

larryb123456

Confused but Happy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Joined 10-August 10

Donator

BTW, bphlpt, who made your simply-amazingly-beautiful avatar and signature?

Please don't tell me, 'cause I like for my mind to be in The Twilight Zone the mystery zone.

BTW, dencorso, I love both of the userbars in your signature -- especially the "Unstoppable Windows XP" userbar, with the massive-electrostatic-discharge lightning.

I wonder who made that one ?

Please don't tell me, 'cause I like for my mind to be in The Twilight Zone the mystery zone.

BTW, I just changed the phrase above my avatar to read "Confused but Happy".

I have no idea what that phrase means.

Please don't tell me what it means, 'cause I like for my mind to be in The Twilight Zone the mystery zone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users