Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Backup Hardware?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
I've just lost about 40GB of files on my linux server, i'm not too sure what happened at this point but i think samba was hacked, anyway i'd like to make sure something like this doesn't happen again, but looking around the internet; backup hardware seems to be very expensive!

The trouble is the server holds 400GB+, backing that up to CD or even DVD would be a nightmare, is there any other decent way i can do this short of buying 400GB worth of hard disks to keep as backups? (or use RAID) I'm not sure i would like to do that, i'm always short of hard disk space and i'd be tempted to use that!

any ideas appreciated :)
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
I hope you managed to recover all the data - 40GB's not small change at all........

DAT/DLT tapes?
Considering the newer 9.4 GB DVD-RWs, DVD-writers could really be an option.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Jono

Jono

• PipPip
  • 284 posts
or you could just stay away from IBM drives :)
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Jono</span>

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
was a maxtor drive, and no i havn't managed to recover the data.

the partition was ext3, which you can't undelete on (it writes 0s to the inode apparently), with ext2 i could undelete, but all i could get was thousands of unnamed files, which would be uselss too!)
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

I hope you managed to recover all the data - 40GB's not small change at all........

DAT/DLT tapes?
Considering the newer 9.4 GB DVD-RWs, DVD-writers could really be an option.

still not very practacal for 400GB+, means sitting at the computer changing discs every 10GB, plus the cost for discs would be hugeee!

i think for now i'm gonna use a spare 80GB drive for backing up important directories :/

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
With hard drives and DVDs out of the question, looks like tape drives is the only choice you got, and I don't think they come cheap either.

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
tis okay i have a plan now, this saturday i plan on winning the lottery.

X-Ecutioner

X-Ecutioner

eXPerience my ass.

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
haha the lottery. Isn't there a software raid you could use as oppose to a expensive hardware one? 2000 and i think xp have it built in, doesn't linux?
My Gaming Rig... - Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13ghz) - Asus P5B Deluxe - OCZ 2 GB PC7200 800Mhz Dual Channel DDR2 RAM - ASUS 8800 GT 512MB - Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum Ex - 3x 500GB Hard Drive - 8x DL DVD-Burner - XP SP2 / Vista x86 Dual-boot

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
yeah, it does but i actually have RAID on the bios, it's just a matter of putting in more hard disks to actually use it - but i just can't bring myself to use only half the disk space when i need it so much! blah!

definatly winning this saturday :)

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
with r-studio u can recover those files and partition u just lost. if u haven't written anything on them
also I'd go with backup as well. I used it when i was admin 2 years ago in a construction company. (cad files needed backing up everyday)
and i think we had automated it so that it gets all the info from all the computers at night.

one other thing i have in mind is u can backup important changes(user's my document folder or etc) from each individual user to a cd-rw everyday at the end of the day...

aw also as my sig says :) I've started backing up my 120gb hdd as of today i bought 4x dvd+rw's from ritek on my lite-on 811s. each cd takes about 15min with virus scan with nero so it'll be like 6hrs to completion, already wrote 8 of them....pending....

Edited by XtremeMaC, 22 February 2004 - 04:10 AM.

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts

Isn't there a software raid you could use as oppose to a expensive hardware one? 2000 and i think xp have it built in, doesn't linux?

RedHat 6.0 and Mandrake 7.1 onwards have support for what you mention - provided it is a SCSI drive. Note, though that I haven't seen any distro of linux with non-buggy support for SATA drives (so you know to stay away from one among linux/SATA).

But you'd have been in a better situation if you had /home, /root and /swap mounted on a different disk, and software-RAID'ed each disk portions to the other.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN