Desktop Icon Order Keeps Changing

Monroe

I came across an old program that I had forgotten about from several years back, while searching around earlier today ... Iconoid . I downloaded a newer version and now seem to like the program. It has so many different settings and can put the Desktop icons back in order at startup ... it can make the icons disappear after so many seconds, if you just want a clean desktop view. It's not the fix that I was after but it's very close, it'll do for now. I will keep searching.

Iconoid 3.8.6

Iconoid (32 bit) will run on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Note: 2000 systems should use 3.8.5. Pre-XP systems should use 3.7.0.

http://majorgeeks.com/Iconoid_d723.html

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/take-full-control-over-your-windows-desktop-icons-with-iconoid/

... it's an interesting program.

Edited by duffy98

Pardon, PROBLEMCHYLD... my confusion was in Step#3 which is within the "replaced" LAYOUT.DLL... My bad...

Yeah, you should be using the microsoft version from NT4.

1. Uncheck Auto Arrange.

2. Place your icons where you want them, and then right click desktop to Line Up Icons/Align to Grid.

(This spaces them evenly and neatly) Optional

3. Right click Recycle Bin on the desktop. Save Desktop Icon Layout.

4. Anytime a new item is added to the desktop follow step 3.

You will not have any problems whatsoever when you Restore Desktop Icon Layout.

5. DO NOT use the Arrange Icons By feature at all.

@ duffy98

I hope you find a solution. Sometimes it right in front of you.

But if one chooses to constantly download app after app, and still doesn't find a solution, then maybe its not meant to be.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

OK ... I tried the Layout.DLL settings that you supplied ... I just don't like the Align to Grid spacing ... my settings are slimmer and smaller which is what I want. It will probably work for others ... I have been working with Iconoid on a second computer and I am satisfied with the program. Every reboot has the icons in the proper order ... it adjusts them (if needed) on the startup of Windows, with no input from me ... except for the initial setup. I will sign off on this thread I guess but keep reading and searching for something that just might be a little better.

thanks all ...

OK ... I tried the Layout.DLL settings that you supplied ... I just don't like the Align to Grid spacing ... my settings are slimmer and smaller which is what I want.

This is optional depending on how you want it. Uncheck Align to Grid and follow the rest of the steps.