Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Desktop Icon Order Keeps Changing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,969 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

NoSaveSettings=0 is OK; NoSaveSettings=1 is a problem. Which value does NoSaveSettings have when it reappears?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
@PROBLEMCHYLD -
Where do you do Step#3?

I also note that "Safe Mode" has a tendency to "hose" the Layouts due to different size screen. (A/L in 98SE, so you have to put them all back - EVEN USING STEPS 1+2!)

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

OK ... I have been trying more ideas from the web ... searching around on Google I am amazed at how many others are looking for a solution for Desktop icons staying in place, all the way into Windows 7. I can't understand why MS has never fixed this annoying problem or offered a simple solution that works for the masses.

Anyway ... PROBLEMCHYLD, I have LAYOUT.DLL installed and will give it a try. When you posted your information, I had just found that info about deleting "nosavesettings" from the registry and that would solve the problem. Out of the four registry entries that were listed, I found the "nosavesettings" DWORD in two of them on all four of my notebooks ... three Thinkpads with XP and one Dell (P3) with Windows 2000. I had no idea the registry settings would just automatically come back ... again on Google yesterday, I saw hundreds of questions dealing with "nosavesettings" always coming back after being deleted. .... getting back to your post PROBLEMCHYLD ... I was hesitant to follow your instructions because a few days before I decided to see what Align to Grid would actually do. I like my Desktop icons small so that I only have two columns on the left side of my screen and not three or four. When I hit "Align to Grid", the icons changed (as I remember) and I could not get them back to the exact way I had them ... worked with everything for some time and finally just gave up and used my Ghost backup to get things fixed. I will try it again to see what changes again.These are the settings that I use for my Desktop icons ... Icon size: 17 ... Font size: 7 ... Icon Spacing (Hor): 55 ... Icon Spacing (Ver): 45

densorso, the "nosavesettings" always seem to come back at this entry: HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions ... nosavesettings 0x00000000 (0) . So you say (0) is OK ... but why when something is deleted, OK or not ... does it come back? I sort of "joked around" earlier about a "hidden registry" backup somewhere in XP that will prevent certain registry items from ever being deleted. Could there really be a hidden registry somewhere replacing certain items if they are deleted? This just seems so complicated, people just simply wanting their Desktop icons to remain in the order that they would like them to be, day after day ... month after month.

I also tried your instructions for Desktop Restore and it didn't seem to work for me, I also said I moved a few icons around to see if they would go back into place after a reboot, they did not. I will try it again later, maybe I missed something. Perhaps it's because I have my icons smaller with the column Hor and Ver adjustments. I just like a smaller, tighter column of icons.

Must be a simple desktop lock or something somewhere ... and old forgotten program.

I had deleted that registry entry again before I got online ... just checked the registry again, as I'm typing this, and it was back once more. I will just forget about it and accept the fact that it cannot be deleted ... if a 0 is OK then so be it ... but I am going to continue to search around as to why that registry entry (or others) cannot be permanently deleted. Perhaps it falls under the Windows File Protection (WFP) idea somehow.

... I will also add, from my earlier post dealing with the Prefetch folder ... I put everything back the way I had it and the icons were still rearranging, so there is probably no connection with deleting or not deleting the contents of the Prefetch folder. Was just a coincidence I guess that the icon problem returned when I removed the "delete contents" step from CCleaner.

Edited by duffy98, 03 June 2012 - 04:46 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

@PROBLEMCHYLD -
Where do you do Step#3?

I also note that "Safe Mode" has a tendency to "hose" the Layouts due to different size screen. (A/L in 98SE, so you have to put them all back - EVEN USING STEPS 1+2!)

As soon as you have all your icons in place. Align to Grid/Line Up Icons only place the icons neatly.
If you dont want them neatly then uncheck the option and follow the rest of the steps.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Pardon, PROBLEMCHYLD... my confusion was in Step#3 which is within the "replaced" LAYOUT.DLL... My bad...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

I came across an old program that I had forgotten about from several years back, while searching around earlier today ... Iconoid . I downloaded a newer version and now seem to like the program. It has so many different settings and can put the Desktop icons back in order at startup ... it can make the icons disappear after so many seconds, if you just want a clean desktop view. It's not the fix that I was after but it's very close, it'll do for now. I will keep searching.

Iconoid 3.8.6

Iconoid (32 bit) will run on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7.
Note: 2000 systems should use 3.8.5. Pre-XP systems should use 3.7.0.

http://majorgeeks.co...onoid_d723.html

http://www.addictive...s-with-iconoid/

... it's an interesting program.

Edited by duffy98, 03 June 2012 - 10:20 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Pardon, PROBLEMCHYLD... my confusion was in Step#3 which is within the "replaced" LAYOUT.DLL... My bad...

Yeah, you should be using the microsoft version from NT4.

1. Uncheck Auto Arrange.

2. Place your icons where you want them, and then right click desktop to Line Up Icons/Align to Grid.
(This spaces them evenly and neatly) Optional

3. Right click Recycle Bin on the desktop. Save Desktop Icon Layout.

4. Anytime a new item is added to the desktop follow step 3.
You will not have any problems whatsoever when you Restore Desktop Icon Layout.

5. DO NOT use the Arrange Icons By feature at all.

@ duffy98

I hope you find a solution. Sometimes it right in front of you.
But if one chooses to constantly download app after app, and still doesn't find a solution, then maybe its not meant to be.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 03 June 2012 - 01:30 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

OK ... I tried the Layout.DLL settings that you supplied ... I just don't like the Align to Grid spacing ... my settings are slimmer and smaller which is what I want. It will probably work for others ... I have been working with Iconoid on a second computer and I am satisfied with the program. Every reboot has the icons in the proper order ... it adjusts them (if needed) on the startup of Windows, with no input from me ... except for the initial setup. I will sign off on this thread I guess but keep reading and searching for something that just might be a little better.

thanks all ...

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

OK ... I tried the Layout.DLL settings that you supplied ... I just don't like the Align to Grid spacing ... my settings are slimmer and smaller which is what I want.

This is optional depending on how you want it. Uncheck Align to Grid and follow the rest of the steps.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users