Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Animation Software and Drawing Application for Win 9x?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Bracamonte

Bracamonte

• 12 posts
Does anyone know any animation software and drawing applications that are available for Windows 9x?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
Here are some professional level programs; Macromedia Flash MX, Adobe Illustrator 10, and Corel Draw 11. These are for 98SE/ME. For 95, you'll need to drop down a few versions.

Edited by Foxbat, 26 August 2011 - 12:01 AM.

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 232 posts
Photoshop 7. Older versions of Painter. As for animation, it depends on the type. I don't know about 2D animation, but 3dsmax 5 works, as does Blender (not sure if current version, though).

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
I think Gimp 2.2.17 works if you install a 2.6x version of GTk+

http://gimp-win.sour...ge.net/old.html (this page has the downloads)

Direct Links:

GTK+ 2.6.10:

http://sourceforge.n...up.zip/download

GIMP 2.2.17:

http://sourceforge.n...up.exe/download

BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
PhotoPlus 5 is a good image editing program that works on Windows 95. It's free, but you have to register at their website to get a key (just select PhotoPlus 5.5). You'll have to use The Wayback Machine to download it from this URL. Don't forget to get the extra filters that enable it to export to more image formats.
Using Windows 95 OSR 2.5
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Posted ImageLight Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

aru

aru

• 26 posts
For simple image editing I use PhotoFiltre:

http://photofiltre.f...r/frames_en.htm

Works very well on Win98SE (probably also on Win95).

aru

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,767 posts
That is one awesome prog!
(Photofiltre)

BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
PhotoFiltre seems to work fine on Windows 95 as well. Only complaint is that its toolbars don't wrap when they don't fit horizontally or vertically.
Using Windows 95 OSR 2.5
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Posted ImageLight Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,714 posts

Donator

I'll add in here that the original RenderWare works in Win98FE. I want to say Lightwave as well, which I used to have on my Win98 to assist in building RenderWare objects, since the original RW wasn't very intuitive.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Does anyone know any animation software and drawing applications that are available for Windows 9x?

Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop 7 work.
Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.
Oh blah, blah, blah, your needs!

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
I've never used photo-shop. What I do use is PhotoPaint - which is Corel's photo editing program. I'm a long-time user of Coreldraw version 9 (didn't know that version 11 can run on win-98). The OP doesn't seem to be asking about photo-editing (but many of the responses here are focusing on photo-editing). The OP is asking about a drawing program (which naturally CorelDraw is). Does Photoshop also function as a drawing program?

Edited by Nomen, 06 January 2013 - 09:01 PM.

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Donator

PaintStar 2.70

https://sites.google...e/wangzhenzhou/

Unfreez 2.1 (gif animator)

http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/

Edited by LostInSpace2012, 07 January 2013 - 01:21 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
The CorelDraw Suites have always been nice packages because of the massive amount of things they can do from vector to raster to animation and more.

Versions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 all will run on Win9x with some caveats. Font handling on Win9x sucks ( limited to ~500 I believe ), so you need to install stuff like a Corel suite carefully, de-selecting all fonts. Even then a few still get registered and require manual editing of the Fonts registry key to correct bad paths. Also, All of the suites are registry hogs, and if your Win9x system is right at the limit with a large registry it might push it over the edge into BSOD territory. Of course, all things being relative, you can even more quickly kill the Win9x registry by installing something like the platform SDK and some other related tools that exceed Corel by a mile. If you have a fast computer, lots of memory and a normal or small registry then Corel will be fine though.

I know that Jasc Paint Shop ( version 7 and 8 ) and Animation Shop also run on Win9x.

MediaChance RealDraw and its sibling programs also work with some specific versions. Ulead had some programs as well.

Microsoft also had a basic GIF Animator that worked on Win9x but I am not sure if that is what you were looking for.

Pretty sure all Photoshops worked until the first CS, but I'd let someone else verify that first.

EDIT: typos

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 07 January 2013 - 07:35 AM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts

I've never used photo-shop. What I do use is PhotoPaint - which is Corel's photo editing program. I'm a long-time user of Coreldraw version 9 (didn't know that version 11 can run on win-98). The OP doesn't seem to be asking about photo-editing (but many of the responses here are focusing on photo-editing). The OP is asking about a drawing program (which naturally CorelDraw is). Does Photoshop also function as a drawing program?

Yes, it has brush/pen/erase, etc. tools
Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.
Oh blah, blah, blah, your needs!

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
While unrelated to Win9x, this might be of interest to others ( Win2k, WinXP ... )

Adobe releases Creative Suite 2 for free [Update: Site is back!] ( NeoWin 2013-01-08 )

It seems at first glance that this Suite ( I think with Photoshop 9 ) might be free now. Many commenters and the author say yes, but there are some that say no.

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Donator

PhotoFiltre also has an excellent, underrated batch converter.

I used to use the bloated XnView and IrfanView programs... but PhotoFiltre is more efficient, easier, and simpler. IrfanView and XnView have gotten carried away with "doing it all." Too many options now.

PhotoFiltre and FastStone Image Viewer are all I need... especially for Win9x... there's nothing better.

**I use versions 2.4 or 2.30 of FastStone, as it only requires 128 MB memory on older machines - according to the system requirements section in the help section.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,209 posts
re - Adobe CS2 (and other Adobe software) -
Better read this. Just signing up appears to NOT "give" it to you. You had to have a Legitimate Key given in the first place for the "special key".

Of course, I could be wrong, but Forbes appears to have provided some insight.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

Of course, I could be wrong, but Forbes appears to have provided some insight.

After reading that Forbes "update", I just don't know what has happened to writers' communication skills these days :thumbdown If you read from around the "---------" divider it just makes no sense to me. His font and size selection further messes it up. This paragraph is out of place compared to the title: "If you have a digital creative streak but your budget doesn’t extend far enough to buy Adobe’s Creative Suite applications, this is for you. Adobe have made available an array of applications from its Creative Suite 2 bundle — for free.". Maybe he is just sloppy and neglected to label the "original" and the "updated" parts of the post? Still clear as mud to me.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
Adobe CS2 UPDATE:

Later info read at TechSpot: Adobe offering Creative Suite 2 for free, but they didn't mean to. Near as I can tell, they -permanently turned off the activation servers used by this CS2 Suite a month ago. Existing customers owning that suite still need to be able to reinstall that software on occasion but could no longer do this without the servers. Consequently Adobe put up that page with altered versions that no longer require activation for use by these existing customers.

The page is still live and will likely remain live. For people that do not own these versions ( the CS2 Suite or the individual standalone versions ) you are on the honor system to not use them!

This is indeed a very unusual situation. Adobe is between a rock and a hard place and had to choose whether to simply abandon those customers by killing the servers in effect killing the software should it ever require re-activation, or just place non-activated versions of the software available on a public server which no longer even requires a sign-in. Many long-timers may remember that this was discussed when "Activation" first became popular around 2000 with Office and then Windows XP. The logistics of how to handle the inevitable future scenario of maintaining activating servers "forever" was one of the arguments against this style of DRM. Now we have just witnessed the choice made by one company, Adobe, and I think they made the right choice, the customer friendly choice.

We are left to ponder, what will Microsoft do? The right thing or the wrong thing?

EDIT: corrected link

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 13 January 2013 - 02:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN