Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

I can't access Windows Update v4

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
I can't access Windows Update v4 website with IE6 sp1. And IE6 sp1 tries to go to:
http://v4.windowsupd...ault.aspx?ln=en

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,871 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I confirm that. Neither do I, anymore. It seems to enter a kind of a loop... :(

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11
Me too.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
It means, it's not possible anymore to update Win98/ME via Windows Update?

What about WindizUpdate?

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,282 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Confirmed.

I wouldn't bother with WindizUpdate - it's incomplete.

Just use the stickies here -
http://www.msfn.org/...98-seme-topics/

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Hu$tle

Hu$tle

Junior

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06

Confirmed.

I wouldn't bother with WindizUpdate - it's incomplete.

Just use the stickies here -
http://www.msfn.org/...98-seme-topics/

Why use the stickies? They are incomplete also. Almost everything over there is not finished. Many of which still has bugs that has not been fixed in years and probably won't get fixed. I hate to say it, but it is the truth.
M$ has left Win9X in the dust and so have some of these guys.

Your best bet is to collect all official updates and burn to a cd, after a clean install, then install all the official updates. Then your system will be up to date and not up to bugs.
M$ is removing windows 9X updates left n right. So get'em while you can.

Edited by Hu$tle, 01 September 2011 - 09:26 AM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,282 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Why use the stickies? They are incomplete also. Almost everything over there is not finished. Many of which still has bugs that has not been fixed in years and probably won't get fixed. I hate to say it, but it is the truth.
M$ has left Win9X in the dust and so have some of these guys.

Your best bet is to collect all official updates and burn to a cd, after a clean install, then install all the official updates. Then your system will be up to date and not up to bugs.
M$ is removing windows 9X updates left n right. So get'em while you can.

What??? The Stickies have EVERYTHING "collected", both Official AND Unofficial. Right up to Dropped Support (your "bug" comment)!!! Did you look?

Particularly at this and this.

I have AutoPatcher and several additional Unofficial fixes. It won't get any better...

Edited by submix8c, 01 September 2011 - 10:05 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

ecokid1991

ecokid1991
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-September 11

@halohalo

I hope more people who are "fans" of older versions of Windows like 98, catch on to this new development about Windows Update. :}

Why can't MS said something an advance of shutting off Windows Update servers for older Windows? :angry:

Now what are folks who use older Windows for various reasons suppose to do now? :no:

I hope someone steps up and sets up a new Windows Update like website just for older Windows (95, NT 4.0, 98, and ME). :)

If MS won't do it, then they should find someone who will and make an agreement to make legal and official. :hello:

P.S. For a lot of people, Windows 98 was the first version of Windows they used (Myself included) and that people have collect A TON of software over the years that costed a lot of money and people probably still have old machines that can't run newer Windows (XP, Vista, 7). :angel

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
If we can get this link updated
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__654313
to the latest files I think we will be alright as far as IE6 updates :thumbup

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

tsampikos

tsampikos

• 46 posts
  • Joined 30-August 11
I noticed it too when I tried to visit the Windows 95 Update section.

The last time I visited it was a couple of Months ago and it was ok. Maybe there is something wrong with it and will be fixed. Maybe it is off for good, who knows. In any case, thank God there are all these patches available containing the official and unofficial updates. And something else. When there is an action a reaction follows. So If Microsoft turned off Windows 9x updates then there will be soon (I hope) another way for having access to the updates. ;)

egrabrych

egrabrych

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 27-May 10

Donator

I used to use the Windows Update to validate the installation of patches. Because Windows is "alive" and sometimes something that was good yesterday, today isn't good anymore.
But fortunately, there is another way of verification. I recommend: http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html
This of course doesn't show what is missing, but it signals the possible incorrectness of what is already installed on your system.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
I sadly can also confirm that the old Windows Update v4 site is now just looping between two addresses and never loading.
:no:
I thought it was just me, but obviously not!

I feel that this must be a fault, as MS have always maintained that existing updates for Windows 98/ME would still remain available, and they do usually announce if that sort of thing has changed.
Anyway, surely they would just redirect it to a page informing people that Windows Update was no longer available rather than just making it look as if it's a fault!

It looks to me as if it's redirecting to the Windows Update v6 address, and then bouncing straight back again, so I suspect that the v4 site is still there, it's the detection system that detects that you have Windows 98 or ME that isn't working properly, and it's trying to send you to the v6 site in error.

It's annoying because even though there was never anything new there when I looked of course, it did enable me to look at my update history, and I now see no way of doing that if the page won't load!
Is it worth sending an e-mail to MS about this? Has anyone here already done so?
:)

EDIT
I've just managed to get into the Windows Update site on Windows 98 using Opera, as you can tell Opera to mask itself as Internet Explorer.
This time it didn't bounce back to another address, but what I'm seeing may actually be the v6 Windows Update site not the v4 one.
As it relies on ActiveX controls, which Opera doesn't support, I can't go any further to check.

Edited by Dave-H, 06 September 2011 - 04:08 PM.

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
It's really strange because updates for Win 98 are available on Microsoft Download Center: http://www.microsoft...px?q=Windows 98

Edited by rainyd, 06 September 2011 - 03:29 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Now would be a good time to collect them all, zippem up and store them before they disappear.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Well I've raised a support request about this with MS Windows Update support.
I'll see what they say (or if they even respond!)

Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Well, I got a reply back from Windows Update support, but I'm afraid that as I expected it's a pretty stock one.
:(

"Dear Dave,
Thank you for your email about issues accessing updates for Windows® 98.
Please accept my apologies for the delay.
I am sorry to inform you that the assisted support for Windows 98 has expired as the product is out of support lifecycle. Please refer to the following web link for information on support lifecycle;
http://support.micro....com/lifecycle/
Alternatively, Please visit the following website to post your query and one of our Microsoft Valued Professionals will be able to help you with an answer.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com
Also, I would like to assure you that we do consider your feedback to be extremely valuable as it helps us to improve the products and service that we offer. With this in mind I will make sure that your feedback is passed to the appropriate department for their consideration.
If you have any more questions please contact our Customer Services team on 0844 800 2400. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays or please reply to this email
Many thanks for contacting us
Kind regards........"

Anyway, I replied asking for a definite answer as to whether Windows Update v4 has now been permanently switched off or not.
I'm not holding my breath for a response!

I do wonder if it's significant that this seems to have happened exactly five years after support for Windows 98 ended. Maybe it was in the small print somewhere that updates would only be available via Windows Update for another five years.

tsampikos

tsampikos

• 46 posts
  • Joined 30-August 11
I downloaded and zipped all the updates for Windows 95-98-Me. I don't know if I missed 1-2 of them (they weren't few), but I guess this wouldn't be any problem at all. I downloaded them from Microsoft Download center, using the links described above. Having those and the patches which are available and contain most of the updates i think there shouldn't be any worries about the future, if somebody would like to setup a normal or a virtual Windows 9x. machine. :yes:

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01

I feel that this must be a fault, as MS have always maintained that existing updates for Windows 98/ME would still remain available, and they do usually announce if that sort of thing has changed.

The extended support end date for business customers using Windows 98 was July of 2006, so it would make sense that the site would no longer function at some point after July 2007. Microsoft says on their support lifecycle page that they will continue to provide online update availability for a minimum of 12 months after a product has reached it's end of support date, but they don't give any firm dates for how long afterwards. Given that milestones in a product's support lifecycle happen in 5 year increments otherwise, it would make sense that sometime around or after July 2011 that the v4 site would be retired, at the least.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
how did i miss this i'm having the same problem

http://www.msfn.org/...s-in-vm-player/

So do we have to do each update manual with the down load center or what?

Edited by cdoublejj, 14 September 2011 - 03:01 PM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Well I got another response from MS Support.

"Dear Dave,
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry to inform you that Windows Update 4 including security updates for Windows® 98 has been withdrawn. Please visit the following website for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1139
If you have any more questions please contact our Customer Services team on 0844 800 2400. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays or please reply to this email
Many thanks for contacting us......."

So that's it then, it's definitely been permanently withdrawn.
:(
I guess that we were lucky that it stayed on-line for a full five years after Windows 98/ME support ended!

If anyone isn't aware, you can tidy things up by setting the "NoWindowsUpdate" setting at
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" to "0".
This will remove the Windows Update entry from Start Menu>Settings and from the IE Tools menu.

One thing I would like to be able to still do is open my updates history file properly in IE6.
If I try and open my "iuhist.xml" in IE6, it doesn't display, because it seems to need a file called "resultschema.xml", which is normally downloaded from the Windows Update site.
Of course this no longer happens, and I don't have this file anywhere on my system.

Does anyone still have a version of this file, (perhaps even still in your IE6 cache)?
If so, if it's possible to let me have a copy I would be very grateful.

Edited by Dave-H, 14 September 2011 - 03:45 PM.

wdlee

wdlee
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 14-September 11
This work?
http://wayback.archi...esultschema.xml

Does anyone still have a version of this file, (perhaps even still in your IE6 cache)?
If so, if it's possible to let me have a copy I would be very grateful.

Edited by wdlee, 14 September 2011 - 05:36 PM.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
i got to thinking about those unofficial service packs, i remember trying one it replaced all the labels on my buttons with strings of code. then again i remember trying the latest SP then i though maybe they need to be installed in order like xp or vista.

so are there any known good unofficial SPs we can install to fresh installs of 98se? or is the gooses cooked? i'd like to think it won't go down that easy maybe waybackmachine.org? or some one who knows something can make an update pack or something.

Edited by cdoublejj, 15 September 2011 - 03:39 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

This work?
http://wayback.archi...esultschema.xml

Thanks, that works!
:thumbup
I can now open the iuhist file in IE, but I need to find a (preferably free) program that will convert it to an html file that's more readable.
I've found a couple but they aren't free and the demo versions won't convert the whole file.
I don't really want to buy the program just to use it once only!
I really wish I'd saved the whole Windows Update 4 site, but of course I didn't know that it was going to be shut down without warning!
:no:

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11
I scheduled a format, reinstall, and Windows Update for this part of the year, and plan to finally store all the files from the update. It's too late now. I was able to work from a listing of those files that I saved last year. Spent hours manually looking for the updates these past couple of days.

They can still be downloaded from the update server through links; however, some of those files are disappearing. When downloaded, only a 1.3 KB incomplete file is created. Some KB articles and Windows 98 references are disappearing too. I have been able to track down some of the missing files from external mirrors and unofficial versions, but there's still a few that I am unable to locate, so I will have to rely on unofficial service packs and compilations now.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
so might it be possible to make an unofficial official update pack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN