Scanned File Properties

Neil_G

I am using Paperport 14 but had same problem in Paperport 12.

When I scan a paper using PP the document properties are sometimes puzzling. When everything is right and I look at the properties scanned document (in PDF format) in the security tab it will show a user name of "everyone" and anyone has full control. Other times I seemingly do the exact same thing and the properties of the scanned documet (again PDF) do not in the user name "everyone". This is all on the same machine (XP Pro). The reason this is trouble some is that I have the machine networked and without the "everyone" I can not copy or move the file from the original PC to another PC. Anyone have suggestions on how I can have "everyone" as the default every time?

This is a single ntfs rights setting:

- The security tab is for settings the rights to add or remove or modify rights on a files or folders.

- The ntfs rights are not the same everywhere by default: in your documents and its subfolders, everyone should not be there.

To fix this problem, you only need to create a shared folder (c:\share) properly with everyone on it and then copy (not move) documents scanned and stored else where there. This way all copied documents will inherit the rights of the good folder. If you move documents instead of copying them, you might have the problem again as when you move a file/folder on the same partition it will keeps its rights from the source folder.

Also, if everyone is need, that's most likely because you're using the guest account and that's dangerous. A proper way to do things, is to create an account on the computer you want to share the files and add it in the security tab on your shared folder and then use it when connecting from another computer.