Windows Firewall is not starting

nice_guy75

Hi guys,

I have a Windows 7 ultimate x86/x64 DVD which I have made by reverse integration. I wanted to make it lite with vlite, I have removed some components and disabled few services as well but when I installed that OS my Windows Firewall is not starting, I have tried each and everything but nothing seems to be working for me. I even tried to follow this article from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996, but when I tried to change the permission of Parameters in DPS (the last one) I got "Access Denied" error.

I have tried almost 50 different methods but none of them is working for me.

Please help me understand this problem and how can I solve this problem.

I have tried my install.wim in vmware and there is no such problem in my install.wim, I guess this problem is b'coz of some malware or some registry settings, please help me guys.

I have posted this problem here just because this is the most active section.

have you look at your autounattend.xml?

have tried rt 7 lite?

http://www.computerfreetips.com/Windows-7-tips/enable-disable-firewall.html

Nope I have not tried RT7Lite, infact I have trimmed my OS with vlite.

When I tried, restore default setting nothing happens. I have also tried to enable from services.msc but getting Error code 5.

This should be posted in the vLite section, as once you've modified your OS with vLite it's no longer "normal".

I have already posted in vlite section some 5 days back but no one answered so only I have posted in unattended section. Sorry for that.

Please don't double-post. Note that these sections aren't as busy as others on the forum, mostly because the programs just don't work as well against Win7 and 2008 R2 (and people are migrating to RT7Lite instead, it seems, to modify their Win7/2008 R2 installs).

Please don't double-post. Note that these sections aren't as busy as others on the forum, mostly because the programs just don't work as well against Win7 and 2008 R2 (and people are migrating to RT7Lite instead, it seems, to modify their Win7/2008 R2 installs).

RT7lite is still has too many bugs, already tried. We have been listening that its new version is coming but still not released. And vlite is still working on windows 7 even on SP1.

Please delete the other threat, here is the link:

Slightly of topic BUT:

Remake your sp1 disk!

And vlite is still working on windows 7 even on SP1

I am reposting a link to full sp1 disks here:

(The mods have not disallowed this link and it is straight from MS so I guess its legit)

1 = "Not well" as cluberti said

2 = Not without modifications and ALOT of extra work

3 = For making an a-i-o do the following:

Materials required:

Windows 7 x32 install media

Windows 7 x64 install media

Hex editor with search-and-replace, and support for unicode strings.

WAIK 2.0

Optional materials:

Windows 7 Enterprise x32 & x64 install media

(only required if you wish to have these editions available)

Stage 1: arranging files

Okay, in this guide we shall be working on the D: drive, but any drive letter you have available shall do.

In this stage we set up a directory structure to be used for the rest of the stages.

Firstly, create the folders:

D:\AIO\DVD

and

D:\AIO\WIMs

Next, extract contents of the x86 DVD into D:\AIO\DVD

Delete all .clg files from D:\AIO\DVD\sources

delete ei.cfg from D:\AIO\DVD\sources

Then move install.wim from D:\AIO\DVD\sources to D:\AIO\WIMs, and rename it ULTx86.wim

Then extract install. wim from the x64 DVD to WIMs, and rename it ULTx64.wim

And optionally, extract the install.wim from the x86 and x64 Enterprise DVDs, renaming them ENTx86.wim and ENTx64.wim respectively.

Finally, extract the content of the sources directory (except install.wim and ei.cfg) from the x64 DVD to D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64,

and copy the setup.exe from the x64 DVD to D:\AIO\DVD as setup64.exe

Stage 2: Building the WIM

Now we must build the install.wim (that's the file that contains the different versions of windows, if you didn't know), by exporting images from the .WIMS we have.

Assuming you've done exactly as I've said, open the deployment tools command prompt (from WAIK), and enter these commands:

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 STARTER"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 2 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME BASIC"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 3 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 4 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ENTx86.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ENTERPRISE"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx86.wim" 5 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME BASIC (x64)"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 2 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM (x64)"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 3 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL (x64)"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ENTx64.wim" 1 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ENTERPRISE (x64)"

Imagex /export "D:\AIO\WIMs\ULTx64.wim" 4 "D:\AIO\DVD\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE (x64)"

You can skip the Enterprise ones if you chose not to include Enterprise. Well, you could skip any of them, but I reccommend including all you can,

as it does not take up much additional room (I assume WIM automatically reuses files), and you never know when you might need to do a clean install for someone!

Sage 3: Modifying the BCD

Here we modify the DVD's BCD, so as to add an x64 recovery option. The recovery option is just that: it cannot install.

To improve user transparency, the boot timeout shall be set to 3 sec, so as to be almost unnoticeable if not needed.

Ok, open an administative command prompt.

Navigate to D:\AIO\DVD

Now make a copy of the default loader by executing:

bcdedit /store boot\bcd /copy {default} /d "x64 Recovery Mode"

This command shall tell you the GUID of the copy made, make a note of it.

Next set the new loader to load the 64 bit PE by executing:

bcdedit /store boot\bcd /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}

bcdedit /store boot\bcd /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}

Replace {GUID} with the GUID you noted down)

Finally, alter the boot timeout by executing:

bcdedit /store boot\bcd /timeout 3

Stage 4: getting upgrade to work

Now, the one problem left is upgrade installs on 64 bit. This involves hex editing files, and so breaks the digital signature,

causing the ugly yellow UAC prompt. This is, I am almost ashamed to say, the first of two such cosmetic glitches.

Now first open D:\AIO\DVD\setup64.exe in your hex editor. Search and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\" with "sourc64\".

Although this breaks the signature, it does not break the program, because both strings are the same length.

Now, open D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64\autorun.dll, and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\setup.exe" with "sourc64\lunch.cmd"

(in case you were wondering, it was going to be launch.cmd, but I had to drop one letter...)

Now, create a file in D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64 called lunch.cmd containing exactly this:

setup.exe /m:sourc64 /installfrom:\sources\install.wim

NOTE: If you are using a SP1 slipstreamed image, lunch.cmd should instead contain exactly this:

setup.exe /installfrom:\sources\install.wim

This is the cause of the second cosmetic glitch. A command prompt is briefly visible before setup is launched.

Now, the autorun.inf must be modified so that it runs setup64 on x64 systems. Modify it so it contains:

[Autorun.Amd64]

open=setup64.exe

icon=setup64.exe,0

[Autorun]

open=setup.exe

icon=setup.exe,0

Now, finally, we're ready to master a DVD. Open up the deployment tools command prompt, and enter:

oscdimg.exe -l7_AIO -t10/22/2009:00:00 -m -u2 -bD:\AIO\DVD\Boot\etfsboot.com D:\AIO\DVD D:\7_AIO.ISO

Win7Toolkit over at wincert forums will do ALL of the above for you!

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian