Windows 98 as high quality video player

Sfor

One great player Potplayer

I have installed : PotPlayer 1.5.40373.exe

Released: 08 Oct 2013

found at filehorse.com > old versions

kernelex 4.5.2 is on my machine, but I installed Potplayer without Kernelex-options

After installation Potplayer don't start .

Go to C:\Programms\Daum\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini.exe

Choose Kernelex-mode: windows xp sp2

But after that I cannot open any video's :: Warning: missing video decoder...

Now choose:

Preferences > video > choose "video renderer" > apply > o.k

I choose skin: original_en.dsf

easily can choose :video und audio equalizer

tested mp4, avi , flv , video(.ifo/vob) with sucess

Media Player Classic Home Cinema 1.3.2099.0 is the last version which i could run in an old computer with 98se sp3 + KernelEX. It's a retro-HTPC ;)http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/media-player-classic-homecinema-x86-x64-svn-2099.html Real alternative + ffdshow, alas coreavc not working on this machine, the ax filter gives an exception and mpc quits. :( But ffdshow is free, and more tweakable. Overlay mode is the snappiest, but with some video cards a bit tricky, it loads the video but nothing plays, then stop and play and it starts. If Mpc-hc throws an 'exception in xxx.dll' error, switching Windows to 256 colors mode sometimes helps, by freeing some video memory - the overlay mode color depth is not affected by Win desktop color depth. Also no subtitles in overlay mode, except DVD video.

• 2 weeks later...

Does not matter what player you use, as long as it is properly programmed vs the bitrate, and how well the material is encoded vs the codecs used. If you could put 98 on a 5.6Ghz machine it should be running like no tomorrow. My win98 machine seems to beat out my OSX machine ( which demands HD conent ), but the faster Vista machine has no problems with playback.

I think I am double posting but, the HD content ( super high resolution ) vs the display vs the speed of the computer. Sound is another problem all together. They have some new sound technology out their and if your a soundfreak you want to check that out as well.

I do not like players saving shortcuts to the recent folder.

Edited by ROTS

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 9:09 PM, ruthan said:

Last post here is 5 years old, what Video player is best now for System without KernelEX and with which codec pack?

The latest I can find that works is Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 (rev82) Search for "mplayerc_20081005_win9x.zip".

You also need the latest ffdshow installed with that to watch newer codecs. I think "ffdshow_rev1936_20080413_clsid.exe" is the last version for win98.

There might be later versions that work, maybe someone else can post if they know.

Edited by ricardrosen

• 5 months later...

KerneLex 4.5.2 

KMP up to 4.0.4.6 can be configured to run with KernelEx4.5.2 XP settings some function import strings need renaming with v4. Media Info from within the player never worked until about KMP3.5 even on XP, configure KMP to be never on top. KMP internal filters, not LAV, will play most media except H265 without the need for installing others. Internal filters will show progress bar preview from 3.6 to 3.9 KEX2K settings. (depends on filters, 4.0.4.6 will too)

ffdshow_rev3853_20110512_clsid_icl10 will work if installed with KerneLex 4.5.2 XP settings and ffdshow.ax set to NTSP6 settings. FFdshow vs 3853 should suffice but LAVFilters-33 is compatible with Win9x available here (but has no advantage I think, it is an alternative). If the LAV splitter and audio of vs 50.5 is to be used than the LAV video vs 33 has to has to link to the the 33 vs of swscale-lav-2.dll and avutil-lav-51.dll. X-Codec-Pack-2.6.5.exe contains ac3 filter 2.6, only thing to install.

PowerDVD7's MP4 splitter only works with its own decoder and renderer. The spliter, sound renderer and sound decoder should have a 200000 merit as the Cyberlink PDVD7 combo does not decode all H264 formats/containers but nearly does.

Without 4.5.2

Most players should be OK it depends on what codecs are installed. You need splitters, filters and renderer's and it is tricky to get it all correct so copy reg settings when things are going OK. The splitters have to be compatible with the format and encoding within the format and also the filters. WMP and KMP use DS filters and choose similar filters in the system. Some players are more fussy when choosing filters. I find WMP OK and here is an advantage updating wmp.dll via the update (win9x MP9 update M2378111.EXE) as the progress bar works on all formats. WMP opens in full screen if under folder options, file types, the file type "open" (what ever chosen) add the suffix /fullscreen, eg "(where ever WMP is located)\WMPlayer.exe" /fullscreen "%L" . One anomaly is that the video has to have a pixel frame ratio that matches the screen viewing aspect ratio even if the video has a rectangular pixel format. KMP will transform to fit full screen and uses anti-aliasing, all that is required is to get the best external splitters and filters with the right priorities. It is best to install only what is required otherwise there will be multiple codecs installed that do the same functions or in some cases not Win9x compatible. vp8vfw-1.2.0.zip has a filter that can encode quite well and quartz can pick it up on a decode but registry has to be set up correctly. GSpot v2.7a will check the codecs and show errors, I do not think it knows about reg settings with ACM. See this line, it is a decoder, VFW VP80 Google VP8 Video Codec vidc.vp80 0x00200000 QUARTZ.DLL --> vp8vfw.dll. 0x200000 is the merit or priority to use it. Merit, the higher the value the higher the priority, so this filter will only pickup if no other one is available or it has the highest priority. The priorities can be set in the KMP options preferences filter manager make sure the correct splitter has priority to suit the filters. Filters in red have a problem, registry error or file missing etcetera, try re-registering and resetting with wanted merit. WMP has to have file association setup correctly in registry same with most other players and registry settings are most important. Some programs do not uninstall correctly and wipe out full reg keys or more prevalent do not remove settings at all. If KMP did not install correctly say %s is displayed or the extender file was not ticked all needs to be done is to wipe out the full KMP2.0 or (KMP3.0 with KnlEx4.5.2) reg key. KMP2.9.*  latest that works. Do not run the wizard just set settings manually. To make KMP play a DVD on loading add registry settings as an example where the location of KMP is Entertainment\KMPlayer. Copy & paste into an empty reg file and edit to suit installation directory.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD]
"BaseClass"="Drive"
@="DVD Video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\Shell]
@="PlayWithKMP"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\Shell\PlayWithKMP]
@="Play with KMP"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\Shell\PlayWithKMP\Command]
@="\"C:\\Entertainment\\KMPlayer\\KMPlayer.exe\" /DVD \"%l\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\KMPPlayDVDMovieOnArrival]
"Action"="Play DVD Video"
"DefaultIcon"="C:\\Entertainment\\KMPlayer\\KMPlayer.exe,0"
"InvokeProgID"="DVD"
"InvokeVerb"="PlayWithKMP"
"Provider"="The KMPlayer"

For a Codecs pack that works with RM and MOV with WMP, StormCodec7 but take a copy of registry before and after. FLVsplitter from 2006 had the best overall player compatibility but is not critical unless using early Divx player. One FLVsplitter was not working though, even on other OS. ffdshow_rev2322_20081114_clsid_MMX.exe could be installed into the storm\codecs folder but registration will not be possible in a directory with spaces in it. A work around would be to remove the spaces and register then replace spaces then update reg InprocServer32 locations manually. DivXDecH264.ax available from Divx decodes most 264 encoded files. I do not know the latest that works but DivXDecH264.ax 9.0.1.21 from Divx 10.4 works needs msvcr80 and msvcp80. divxh264decoder820.zip is an earlier version readily available separately. For media encoded with MP1/2 audio with a bit rate that is not a multiple of the sample rate then ffdshow is the audio decoder to use. To get WMV3 to work with WMP first register wmvdmod.dll from WMP11 then replace back with wmvdmod.dll vs 10.0.0.4332. Also update wmasf.dll from WMP11.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
I intended to show how to get videos to display inside players, without having to press show all files.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 4:40 PM, jumper said:

QT / Mplayer:
  SMPlayer 0.8.3.0
  UMPlayer 0.95

I tried SMPlayer 0.8.3.0 with KernelEx v19. It only works properly with base enhancements + api fixes opposed to using XP and later. Unfortunately, an MP4 video only appeared the first time the program opened...and it was only a small square that would not expand to the whole player. Audio worked fine though.

Could you provide a link to UMPlayer 0.95? I can only find 0.98 portable for Windows.

If there are any honorable mentions, please say so.

This is a bit off topic, but how did you manage to get Slimboat Portable working on 9x?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

12 hours ago, Destro said:

IF you want the most updated WMP its been here for a long time,  No need to manually patch things.  https://msfn.org/board/topic/89934-98mp10-wmp10-xp-xp-sp3-killer-replacements/

with good direct show filters you should be able to play most things.

I've tried installing MP10 before and it was not successful...

I just tried installing and there seems to be no changes T_T

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

> Could you provide a link to UMPlayer 0.95? I can only find 0.98 portable for Windows.
0.95 was current at the time; 0.98 should be fine.

> This is a bit off topic, but how did you manage to get Slimboat Portable working on 9x?
Huh? Slimboat is covered elsewhere. Ask with more details in the "Backporting" or "Really" thread if Google site:msfn.org doesn't answer it.

Remember M2378111.EXE has to be installed before the unofficial WMP10 if you want to use the 4510 wmp.dll. I would not encourage the use of some WMP updates as the right clicking of video created a headache. The playback preview meant that videos could not be renamed or deleted and it clashed with a version of Haali splitter. I had to delete reg settings to remove the preview idea.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Jumper's latest kernelex 20 updates +  SMPlayer 0.8.6 (portable) plays MP4 perfectly! Version 20 fixed something very well because v19 would only sometimes display the video partially and would not resize! V20 does not crash! <3
6rr05kR.jpg
MPC-HC 1.6.4.6052 will only install but does not work.
This is on actual hardware as well ;)

There are a few issues though: screenshots taken with the software will appear as black in the video area and the play button and time won't change.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

> latest kernelex 20 updates + SMPlayer 0.8.6 (portable)
Using both Core.ini and Kexbases.dll? Please confirm the compatibility mode used. Thanks for the good news!

> MPC-HC 1.6.4.6052 will only install but does not work.
Please try MPC-HC 1.7.5.

> There are a few issues though: screenshots taken with the software will appear as black in the video area and the play button and time won't change.
With what software? Is this a new issue or a regression?