XP keeps rebooting

hemang

Is it rebooting while in Windows or does it not get that far?

Have you tried....

I just tried it and got a blue screen with something like this

STOP: c000021a (Fatal system error)

The windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

So it is blue screening.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

I just tried it and got a blue screen with something like this

The windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

//

// MessageId: STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND

//

// MessageText:

//

// The program can't start because %hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

//

#define STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000135L) // winnt

Repair Windows with your CD. Boot from it and select Repair install.

It looks like you are battling your hard disk and using workarounds to make your PC usable for a period of time. What HDD do you have? Have you run the appropriate HD Tool (SeaTools, WD Tools, etc) on it?

I ran Seagate Sea Tools short and long tests but it did not find any errors. Earlier disk was "repaired" using HDAT2 tool.

Then I went into recovery console and ran chkdsk /p, after "additional checking or recovery" got ""detected some errors" message. Ran the same command again, this time only "additional checking or recovery". Rebooted and again in recovery console ran same command, again only "additional checking or recovery". Ran fixmbr and fixboot and rebooted but again rebooted after windows logo.

Booted into recovery console and ran chkdsk /f and again got "4Kb in bad sectors".

It blue screens if I boot using "disable automatic reboot" option. Message is bit different

Repair Windows with your CD. Boot from it and select Repair install.

I have recovery DVD only which came with this machine "Fujitsu Siemens", don;t know if these will help. Can I use XP Pro disk of another machine? Will I lose all installed software? Do I need to input the windows product key? Actually the PC came with an industrial equipment and XP Pro installed. Not under warranty anymore.

With all due respect (to be frank not that much in this case :ph34r: ) you are attempting "random" cures applying them to an "unknown" illness. :w00t:

Pearls (if not of wisdom :unsure:, of experience ;))

1. If you disable automatic reboot you will see the SAME EXACT message that you cannot see when the PC reboots itself.
  2. If you get to a BSOD running BOTH fixmbr and fixboot is completely senseless, as that initial part of booting is allright.
  3. Windows BlueScreen Stop Errors tend to be highly mischieving, as a general Rule.
  4. The STOP: c000021a is traditionally associated to a logon failure, often caused by a modified/wrong entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.

If, as I seem to understand it is a notebook (single disk) with a "standard factory" (Fujitsu Siemens) install i.e. a single "C:\ drive" + at the most a recovery partition)

if I were you I would try deleting the whole contents HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices from the (OFFLINE) Registry and try again booting (so that the XP re-creates the appropriate conmtents).

Alternatively, and to be on the safe side, you should post:

1. a copy of your MBR
  2. a .reg file with the export of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

This would allow to check BEFORE applying "a" cure, whether the dignosis is correct (and possibly apply instead the appropriate cure).

The general idea is:

1. Diagnose
  2. Apply suited cure or remedy for the identified illness

As opposed to:

1. Throw at the stoopid PC any cure/remedy you can think of, as before otr later you will use the "right" one.

About the DVD, if it's a Recovery DVD, it is usually of NO utility "as is" to make a repair install, but it may be suitable to create from it a "proper" install media (or it may be not).

jaclaz

With all due respect (to be frank not that much in this case :ph34r: ) you are attempting "random" cures applying them to an "unknown" illness. :w00t:

Pearls (if not of wisdom :unsure:, of experience ;))

1. If you disable automatic reboot you will see the SAME EXACT message that you cannot see when the PC reboots itself.
  2. If you get to a BSOD running BOTH fixmbr and fixboot is completely senseless, as that initial part of booting is allright.
  3. Windows BlueScreen Stop Errors tend to be highly mischieving, as a general Rule.
  4. The STOP: c000021a is traditionally associated to a logon failure, often caused by a modified/wrong entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMMountedDevices.

If, as I seem to understand it is a notebook (single disk) with a "standard factory" (Fujitsu Siemens) install i.e. a single "C: drive" + at the most a recovery partition)

if I were you I would try deleting the whole contents HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMMountedDevices from the (OFFLINE) Registry and try again booting (so that the XP re-creates the appropriate conmtents).

1. a copy of your MBR
  2. a .reg file with the export of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMMountedDevices

This would allow to check BEFORE applying "a" cure, whether the dignosis is correct (and possibly apply instead the appropriate cure).

The general idea is:

1. Diagnose
  2. Apply suited cure or remedy for the identified illness

As opposed to:

1. Throw at the stoopid PC any cure/remedy you can think of, as before otr later you will use the "right" one.

About the DVD, if it's a Recovery DVD, it is usually of NO utility "as is" to make a repair install, but it may be suitable to create from it a "proper" install media (or it may be not).

jaclaz

Thanks for the advice. I agree that I am trying too many things without any logical sequence. Will try out what you suggested first thing tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

If, as I seem to understand it is a notebook (single disk) with a "standard factory" (Fujitsu Siemens) install i.e. a single "C:\ drive" + at the most a recovery partition)

if I were you I would try deleting the whole contents HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices from the (OFFLINE) Registry and try again booting (so that the XP re-creates the appropriate conmtents).

1. a copy of your MBR
  2. a .reg file with the export of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    jaclaz

Back in office. To answer the questions :
    1) This is a desktop and not a laptop
    2) How do I make a copy of MBR?
    3) There are number of DVD's that came with the machine, we have not used as everything was preinstalled. all are original Fujitsu Siemens CD. These are listed as below:
    a) Product Recovery CD-ROM, Win XP Pro, CD1 to CD5
    B) Operating System - Recovery DVD, Windows Vista Business
    c) Operating System - Twinload CD/DVD, Win XP Pro SP2 (Seems to be for downgrading Vista)
    d) Operating System - Recovery DVD, Win XP Pro SP2
    e) Drivers and Utilities Esprimo

Could you please do the asked test (at least 3 times in this thread) : disable automatic reboot on the F8 menu (if you still have it) and post a screenshot or a copy of the error ?

Perhaps repeating it will have an effect...

Could you please do the asked test (at least 3 times in this thread) : disable automatic reboot on the F8 menu (if you still have it) and post a screenshot or a copy of the error ?

Perhaps repeating it will have an effect...

I already mentioned in my earlier post that I have done this test and posted the blue screen error. here it is again

=====================================================================================================

=====================================================================================================

But it is running XP (and not Vista), right?

You need some alternate form of booting, ideally a PE 1.x.

A good project for this is the UBCD4WIN:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

but to create one you will need a source CD/DVD.

You have to check the contents of either the "Twinload CD/DVD, Win XP Pro SP2" or the "Operating System - Recovery DVD, Win XP Pro SP2", if there is a \I386\ directory in either of them most probably a PE can be built from them.

Check those Cd/DVD's after having had a quick look at this (AND given links in it):

The "Twinload CD/DVD, Win XP Pro SP2" may also allow a "Repair install", that could be the easiest thing to try, details are here:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Or, since it is a desktop, you could take the disk out of the case and put it in another PC as secondary drive.

An alternative might be creating a Recovery Console CD, you can do this from files downloadable from MS.

If you can access the drive from another OS, to get the MBR the most handy tool is dimio's hdhacker (you want first sector of the physical drive):

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

but any disk editor or a number of utilities on the UBCD4WIN will do, such as MBRfix and MBRWiz.

jaclaz

Sorry i missread your post, did you read this as you saif there was errors in bad sectors fixed by chkdsk ?

Most likely, some system files are missing doing a repair install with another CD might work, but i don't like this as it overwrite all system files and might cause other problems (because it's hard to have a CD updated as the computer was). You best option is comparing a backup (i you have one) of your system32 folder with the current not working system32. If you don't have a backup, you could check from a working XP and add Microsoft files one by one (of course trying to get the same versions you had is better).

Hope this helps.

Finally got frustrated and deleted the partition. Then resized it and restored the image taken after the problem had started. But getting same error. Chkdsk showing 4Kb bad sector. I think it was wrong reporting and I had read that restoring to smaller partition solves the problem. didn't happen in my case. Now I have restored a 2 year old image and it is working fine. Have to update some software and add some more. Data was on another partition and is safe, no problems there.

Thank you all for the help. Appreciate it.