Setting up Windows Server 2008r2

bookie32

Hi folks :hello:

Please forgive me for starting yet another thread about deployment...but I am still trying to find the best solution.

This will be a long post...........

I posted here about a new build

OK! the computer is built and I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on it....

My idea was to build and deploy window in VMware and deploy the finnised product to my customer computers...

I sort of put my Windows 2008r2 to one side because of never being able to get it to work as I wanted..

What I would like to do is build my windows in VMware and use a physical Windows Server 2008 with MDT for deployment...

What is best:

I have a home network but have taken a network connection from my incoming broadband before it goes to my network...I want to keep this side of things separate....

I have my Windows server built and have two nics installed..one for the outside world and one for my new domain....to this domain I want to add my new build where I will build my Windows in VMware. The VMWare workstations need contact with the physical server...(could have built the server in VMware but wanted an actual machine....LOL...

The server has a dynamic network address from my broadband supplier and I know it is best with a static address for a Windows server...

My first problem is setting up the server with a static address that is outside of my router, so I guess I need DHCP installed on the server plus DNS, and a way of connecting the clients to the second nic for deployment...?

The second nic goes to a switch where I can add in my clients when deploying windows etc....

I need help with this...I have at present a clean install of my Windows 2008r2 and at the moment I have the network cable to my broadband which is outside my home network.....how I go from here is where I am getting lost...there is so much info on this I can't see where to start..... :blushing:

Can someone get me started.....? I don't mind doing the leg work as you know...just want to get it right....The new build will need a standard network connection which it can use via the second nic on the server? The VMware machines will need the same..

BTW IcemanND has been helping ny giving me options via email and I decided to start a thread to develop the idea into a reality....Thanks IcemanND!

Please, get me started on this so I don't jump off my balcony...only on third floor, so it might be painful...... :wacko:

bookie32

Hi cluberti :hello:

Now that is some really awesome work!

Can we go through some of it....OK! I can see what you are saying about setting up the network address etc...

At the moment as mentioned I have one physical machine with Windows 2008r2 which receives a dynamic address straight from the modem.....

This computer has two nics....(if I really need them) and Nic1 is connected to the dynamic address given out by my broad band supplier and cannot be set as a static ip unless using dyndyns...

Nic 2 is the one which will be connected to the private network and the Windows 7 machine for running VMware for building Windows images and windows machines for deployment as your link shows...

Thought:

I have Nic1 to keep my server up to date, but it doesn't need to be active all the time...and can be disabled while setting up the other nic as you have shown.....does that make sense?

OK! little delemma ....the Windows 7 machine which will be connected to the server via a switch and Nic 2 on the server - needs to be able to connect to the Internet for updates like the Server...it also has two Nics...Nic one can have an idependant network connection like the one for Nic 1 on the server...to keep it up to date....I can then program Nic 2 for the virtual machines and connection to server...

Hope I am making sense here....**** confusing.... :lol:

The real problem for me is how to make the private side connect to the Internet.

OK! Tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree, but logic says that I have the main server connected to my router which is a D-link dir-825 with dd-wrt and allows me to reserve ip's for my computers. I can then set the server to a static address, but what happens about gateway info? My concern is when I install dhcp on the server for my domain it will conflict with the router?

Sorry, just trying to get my noggin to understand this....

Have you some ideas....Listening :whistle: seriously though......

bookie32

Hi cluberti!

Question:

When I looked at "MDT for the small(er) guys – Part 1" I saw that you used Hyper v and I have VMware...

Would you happen to know the equivalent of " Creating an Internal Virtual Network" in VMware?

I have looked around and can't really see what it could be...

Thanks!

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

Hi again!

VMware Workstation 7.1.4 has virtual switches:

Network Type Switch Name

Bridged VMnet0

NAT VMnet8

Host-only VMnet1

I am trying to follow cluberti's guide, but they use an internal switch and I wondered what that would be in VMware?

bookie32

For vmware workstation 7.1 you don't need to create one=> go to edit menu virtual network editor and assign the VMs you want to one of the custom or host-only vswitches but of course you could use other settings if you want you VM to communicate with physical machine (in this case bridged should be the best option as long as you have multiples available ips on your lan).

Hi allen2!

Thanks for the info.....will get to that tomorrow now....going out for the evening....good food, good beer.... :lol:

I will leave this thread open for a while while I get all the machines set up and can really test cluberti's "How To"..

Thanks again for coming by on a Saturday!

Much appreciated!

bookie32

Hi again!

Still not getting anywhere with this......

My physical machine Windows 7 as two network cards...I understand that when you create a virtual machine an adapter automatically is added to the virtual machine and that you can add extra adapters to the virtual machine....

This physical machine stands outside of my network and gets a dynamic ip address from my supplier....I have installed my Windows 2008 and called it DN1 shortened from my company name in VMware and understand that in order to create AD I need to give my DN1 a atatic address....this is where I am getting lost.... :blushing:

What I thought would be best is allowing one of my physical adapters to go to DN1 but for the outside world and the other will be for the domain where I can add machines for building windows images and then using mdt to capture and deploy them via a switch which is attached to the domain network adapter for when I need to deploy several computers at once....

I thought it would be practical to assign to DN1 one network adapter for the outside world ..I thought I'd have DN1 with dhcp, AD and dns and use dhcp to give out ip's to my vm's connected to DN1 so that we have the best of both worlds and still outside of my home network....of course if I need contact with my home netword for any reason - then I can physically join them to the domain.....

I need to give DN1 a static ip, so that I can install AD and get started...what do I need to do based on the above information?

I know I am missing something that is staring me in the face...please, humour an old fart and guide me through setting up DN1........

bookie32

PS If you have suggestions as to the best way to set this up...then by all means say.....I do appreciate you guys/girls :angel

Could you do a network drawing of your networks and show on it where the physical computer running vmware workstation is and where are the others computers which must reach the mdt server ?

As i don't understand some part of your network setup, i can't tell if you need to setup a bridged connection in vmware (in most case, it is the easiest and then the best option) or nat connection but, as you need to reach other physical computer with the mdt server, it could only be one of those as the host only connection doesn't allow the VM to be seen/connected on the real networks.

Hi allen2 :)

God this was a good idea.....even found my thinking cap.... :lol:

OK! Let us start again and see if I can makes sense....

My Router:

I did forget that this d-link dir-825 router has dd-wrt firmware and allows me to reserve IP's without enabeling DHCP...So now the router is set for reserving and I have disabled the DHCP, which means I can allocate a static ip to my Windows 7 machine on nic1

On Windows 7 computer I have installed VMware and at the moment have two installations of Windows Server 2008 r2 installed. I haven't, as yet, set them up.

For arguments sake they are called DN1 and DN2....(if I need two?)

DN1 would be the domain controller and have 1 nic with the static address needed for AD and nic2 for my physical machines added to the 16 port switch when I am deploying or capturing. The physical clients don't need internet connection.

I will be adding other vvm's which are for building my images, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and they will be part of the domain and need internet access to update etc...

I will then capture images from the vm's which then can be deployed to the physical machines.....

Now that I have set my (physical machine) windows 7 to a static ip how do I give (virtual machine) DN1 a static ip and still have access to the Internet?

bookie32

There is a strange thing on your network drawing: the win7 and the router dlink dir-825 seem to be connected to the modem but usually basic modems (and internet provider) only give one ip for one modem.

But this fact doesn't really matter.

If i understood correctly, you need the computers connected to the 16 ports switch to be allowed to connect to DN1/DN2 (correct me if i'm wrong) and the other computers doesn't need to access to DN1/DN2.

You should be using a private ip on the win7 network card connected to the 16 port switch. This network subnet should be large enough to allow more than 5 ips.

So you only need to do 2 things to have the computers connected behind the 16 ports switch see DN1/DN2:

- set an ip from the same subnet on DN1 and DN2

- Connect the network card of DN1/DN2 to the network card connected to the 16 ports switch and set it in bridged mode.

If you need DN1/DN2 to access to internet, you'll need to add another virtual network card and connect it to the other physical network card and set it to operate in nat mode.

Hi allen2 :)

OK! I will have a look at your post in depth today...Here in Sweden (not blowing my own trumpet) did you hear that :lol:

We have what is known to be the best broadband going at the moment...that said our suppliers try to reduce the risk of security breaches by not giving a fixed ip.....if I avoid my router I can receive up to 5 ip dynamic addresses at once.....

I did notice something yesterday that reminded me of a similar situation....my inbuilt nic on the Windows 7 (server) computer has a mac which starts with 50 instead of 00...this has been known to cause problems for routhers etc....

Just trying to remember how one changes the mac address........

If i understood correctly, you need the computers connected to the 16 ports switch to be allowed to connect to DN1/DN2 (correct me if i'm wrong) and the other computers doesn't need to access to DN1/DN2.

YES! Obviously as you can well understand....the computers connected to the switch are physical computers..... But the other ones will be built in VMware and joined to the domain and will need access to the Internet because of continually updating them, so that I always have the latest XP, Vista, and Windows 7 to create a dvd or just push out them to my clients as needed.

Not being funny.....as your read and commented on my "No offense intended" you know that I like to have the solution and then work backwards to see how it works.. :lol: NO, I am not alone on that score, but it does cause problems....

People writing "How To's" are very enthusiastic about their subject matter, but omit valuable information for plonkers like me.....literally

I have litterally tons of stuff in the last few weeks trying to digest this info......and none of them (i mean none that I have found) have actually shown in detail how to install Windows Server 2008 in VMware and how the bridge/NAT connection should be set up regarding there host computer...YES they skate over it, but not give a good account of how this connections works, so that a static ip can actually be set for the server in order to install AD...

If this makes me thick as a person - then so be it....

Thanks so much for your info and I will sort this mac address problem (just assume that it is causing me grief) today and try and get to your info....I am even going to buy two new nics incase the inbuilt one gives me more grief.....

bookie32