Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Latest Video Cards For Windows 95?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Bracamonte

Bracamonte

• 12 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Can anyone give me a list of the latest video cards that were available for Windows 95 before it got discontinued?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ScrewUpgrading

ScrewUpgrading

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11
I remember having a "S3 Virge" graphic card that was pretty good for back then. Worked well under DOS and Windows 95, and I think Windows 3.1 too. You can probably find them pretty cheap now, and I'm sure there's drivers available somewhere. It beats the generic VGA cards that were common then.

If I were you, that's what I'd get, only because I'm familiar with it and that's all I used. I remember playing lots of Carmageddon back then and the S3 Virge was pretty good.

I don't know exactly what you need, but if you're looking for a decent video card that's better than VGA (256 colors 320x200; 16 colors 640x480), then I'd install a Cirrus Logic card. Make sure it's VESA compatible, and at least a Highcolor or Truecolor SVGA.

I guess those are my two recommendations. :)

Hope that helps. I haven't bought a video card in over ten years, mainly because computers now come with good enough graphics adapters and I'm not concerned with having the latest and greatest. But back then, just to view a Jpeg in more than 256 or 16 colors, you had to buy a graphic card. Times have changed though since the early nineties. Good luck.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading, 08 October 2011 - 09:59 PM.

SomeGuy

SomeGuy

• 18 posts
  • Joined 16-May 10
Using the 77.72 win9x Nvidia driver I was able to get an EVGA 6200 256mb PCI card and an Nvidia GeForce 6600 256mb AGP card to mostly work with Windows 95 OSR2. The 2-d drivers and 3D drivers work perfectly. The special Nvidia control panel, however, requires 98 and give a missing export error when it tries to start up. That is not really needed for basic operation though.

Surprisingly they still sell the EVGA 6200 cards at most computer stores. Probably because it is one of the few standard PCI cards available and is useful for adding additional monitors on newer boards that only have one PCIe16 video slot and several standard PCI slots. They work all the way up to Windows 7 too.

The GeForce 6xxx series was the last to have 95 drivers. Any earlier Nvidia card should also work well with 95.

BTW, some of the other threads - mainly about Windows 98 and Geforce 7xxx - mention issues with 512mb cards. Does that apply to 6xxx? Is that only an AGP issue?

Other good 9x cards: S3 Virge , Matrox Millennium II, 3DFX Voodoo 4/5. Plenty of ATI cards too but the drivers for those often had problems.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

I use ATi Radeon 8500 128MB's in my Windows 95 boxes. I have an original drivers disc for one from back when 95 was still supported.

Later ATi cards may work as well, but it's been a while since I tried experimenting with them. I think I had a 9200 working at one time, but I believe my 9800 XT's had some issues.

Note - there will be various errors about missing DLLs, exports, etc etc unless you be sure to install DX8 and several other updates before attempting to install any "newer" drivers. One DLL in particular that installers will complain about is MFC42.DLL. It is contained in the updates or it can be copied from a 98 machine.

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

I loaded Win 95 full version OEM cd onto my hard drive via a win95-98 boot disk and after I loaded the drivers for my Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256mb video card I got these errors. "The NVSVC.EXE file is linked to missing export USER32.DLL:EnumdisplayDevicesA." "Error loading C:\Windows\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll. One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found." What do I need to fix this and where can I find it?
Gateway eMachine eTower 466is - Windows 95c v2.5
Processor Intel Celeron 466mhz - RAM 256mb
HDD 120gb - Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256mb pci
Sound Card Sound Blaster 16 isa

Dell Optiplex GX150 Small Desktop - Windows 98SE
Processor Pentium 3 1GHz - RAM 512mb

IBM ThinkCentre - Windows XP Home Edition
ID# 814815U - Processor Pentium 4 2.8GHz - HDD 250gb
RAM 2.5gb - Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 6200 512mb pci

cyberformer

cyberformer

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 16-September 05
High Hoko!
I am using that very seme video card and have had the exact same problems you are describing. So I went into misconfig, and unchecked some of the Nvidia stuff that was starting when the PC boots up. This method got rid of those error boxes at startup, though a few features that are available for 98, 98se, and Me users are not there.
The card works otherwise though, so long as you do not fiddle a lot with precise settings etc.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

I loaded Win 95 full version OEM cd onto my hard drive via a win95-98 boot disk and after I loaded the drivers for my Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256mb video card I got these errors. "The NVSVC.EXE file is linked to missing export USER32.DLL:EnumdisplayDevicesA." "Error loading C:\Windows\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll. One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found." What do I need to fix this and where can I find it?

If the driver itself is working, you're in good shape. Try what SomeGuy and cyberformer suggested:

The special Nvidia control panel, however, requires 98 and give a missing export error when it tries to start up. That is not really needed for basic operation though.

High Hoko!
I am using that very seme video card and have had the exact same problems you are describing. So I went into misconfig, and unchecked some of the Nvidia stuff that was starting when the PC boots up. This method got rid of those error boxes at startup, though a few features that are available for 98, 98se, and Me users are not there.
The card works otherwise though, so long as you do not fiddle a lot with precise settings etc.

Remember though that MSCONFIG does not exist in 95 by default. You can copy it from a 98 machine or extract it from the Q239887 Hotifx which is named 4756US8.EXE. The Microsoft links at MDGx's are dead now... :(

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

If I used a Rage 128mb video card on my 95 machine instead of the FX5200 256mb card would I still get the same errors? What is DX8 and where can i find it?

Edited by Hoko, 07 April 2013 - 09:08 AM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

If I used a Rage 128mb video card on my 95 machine instead of the FX5200 256mb card would I still get the same errors? What is DX8 and where can i find it?

The Rage 128 should have complete 95 support. The errors you are seeing with the nVidia card MAY only be the "nVidia Control Panel" that runs in the System Tray. You do not NEED this in order for the driver to work properly. You may be able to simply disable it with MSCONFIG as suggested, and get rid of the error.

DX8 is DirectX 8. It is an update for Video/Audio "effects" under Windows. Usually required by games, etc. Version 8.0a is the last version that supports Windows 95. You should install it before attempting to use ANY "newer" video card such as your FX5200 because many of the newer cards require this to be updated.

Download and install these:
DCOM95 (required for DX8) and then DX8.

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

I use ATi Radeon 8500 128MB's in my Windows 95 boxes. I have an original drivers disc for one from back when 95 was still supported.

Later ATi cards may work as well, but it's been a while since I tried experimenting with them. I think I had a 9200 working at one time, but I believe my 9800 XT's had some issues.

Note - there will be various errors about missing DLLs, exports, etc etc unless you be sure to install DX8 and several other updates before attempting to install any "newer" drivers. One DLL in particular that installers will complain about is MFC42.DLL. It is contained in the updates or it can be copied from a 98 machine.

LC - What are those several other updates? When I installed the Nvidia GeForce FX5200 card with only DX8 installed, it still created all the missing DLL error messages. :huh:
Also, if I can't get away from these errors, how do you get MSConfig from Win98 and install it in 95?

Edited by Hoko, 21 April 2013 - 09:57 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

LC - What are those several other updates? When I installed the Nvidia GeForce FX5200 card with only DX8 installed, it still created all the missing DLL error messages. :huh:
Also, if I can't get away from these errors, how do you get MSConfig from Win98 and install it in 95?

I only have 2 nVidia cards in all of my computer parts stockpile... I always used 3dfx (long ago :lol: ) and ATi cards, so I am not very familiar with nVidia... :}

I believe later versions of the nVidia Control Panel do not work on 95 at all. I seem to remember something about the 77.xx (??) release of ForceWare being the last version that works 100% under 95, but I can't remember where I got that information. :unsure: The later drivers may work, but the Control Panel itself does not.

Many of these may be unrelated, but besides DCOM95, and DirectX8, I always install the Winsock2 update, the Windows 95 Y2K update, Dial-Up Networking 1.4, Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, and Windows Media Player 7 (or unofficial 7.1).

Should be able to get MSCONFIG from here...

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

Thx LC :)

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

I only have 2 nVidia cards in all of my computer parts stockpile... I always used 3dfx (long ago :lol: ) and ATi cards, so I am not very familiar with nVidia... :}

I believe later versions of the nVidia Control Panel do not work on 95 at all. I seem to remember something about the 77.xx (??) release of ForceWare being the last version that works 100% under 95, but I can't remember where I got that information. :unsure: The later drivers may work, but the Control Panel itself does not.

Many of these may be unrelated, but besides DCOM95, and DirectX8, I always install the Winsock2 update, the Windows 95 Y2K update, Dial-Up Networking 1.4, Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, and Windows Media Player 7 (or unofficial 7.1).

Many searches said I could download DCOM95 at this site but which link is the right one? http://www.microsoft...om/default.mspx

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Many searches said I could download DCOM95 at this site but which link is the right one? http://www.microsoft...om/default.mspx

:rolleyes:
Links already given. :lol:

I doubt you would be able to "easily" find it on Microsoft's site these days...

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

:rolleyes:
Links already given. :lol:

I doubt you would be able to "easily" find it on Microsoft's site these days...

Ah, ok :) I have already downloaded both of those and installed them. I forgot the first one was DCOM95

Edited by Hoko, 25 April 2013 - 11:42 PM.

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

Could'nt get IE5.5 to load and Windows Media player 7 said I need a newer version of windows. Installed winsock W95ws2setup.exe but still getting errors mysteriously. :}

Edited by Hoko, 26 April 2013 - 11:19 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Could'nt get IE5.5 to load and Windows Media player 7 said I need a newer version of windows. Installed winsock W95ws2setup.exe but still getting errors mysteriously. :}

Get a full IE 5.5 SP2 package from here.

Official WMP 7.1 (mp71.exe) will not install on 95. MDGx had an unofficial version that fixed this, but it has vanished from his site. :(
I have it archived on another machine but not here. Go here to get version 7.0, which will complain, but install anyway. ;)

Not sure about the Winsock2 issue. Never had problems with it...

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-April 13

Donator

The onboard sound is working now and I successfully installed the Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256mb graphics card. :w00t: Is there a setting I need to change to use the addon card instead of the onboard video. Disable onboard video in Device Manager or change setting on the J1 video jumper? I have new settings in Display that must be from the card but dont know of any potential conflicts between the 2 graphics sources.
Oh, I do have a conflict in Device Manager on the onboard video. I'll just go ahead and disable it there.

Disabled onboard video, no conflicts in conflicting device list now.

Edited by Hoko, 30 April 2013 - 11:54 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Gee, just to chime in... Didn't I completely describe that in your other thread?

You would have been MUCH safer sticking to the single Topic to resolve ALL of your Windows 95 "Several Questions". Heck, you even opened another thread in reference to CD-ROM Drivers!

Ta-ta!!!

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Quotes from another thread, but my question fits better here.

Do try the nVidia drivers 77.72. But don't remove nVidia drivers with add/remove or unistall. Do it using the great freeware Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 (*NOT* Driver Cleaner .NET !!!). The Add/Remove applet or nVidia's own uninstallers don't do quite a perfect job in removing previous nVidia drivers, only Driver Cleaner Pro is able to remove them completely.

If you have time, read the full nVidia drivers 82.69, suddenly!. I'm sure you'll find it most instructive.

Both the 82.69 and the 81.98 drivers do not work OK with a a GeForce 2 MX (I shoulld know... I use an MX 400). You can get the 77.72 and/or even earlier drivers either here or here.

Regarding nVidia drivers - does anyone know which package version was the last to be 100% compatible with Windows 95 OSR2.x? By 100% compatible I mean a version where the nVidia Control Panel still worked as well.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,970 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I don't know but if I'm allowed to hazard a guess, I'd try 29.42-win9x-whql as a starting point. Guru3d has that one.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

I don't know but if I'm allowed to hazard a guess, I'd try 29.42-win9x-whql as a starting point. Guru3d has that one.

I think (hope? :angel ) that one would not have to go back that far, but it is always a possibility.

I would run such experiments myself, but I would have to disassemble and/or modify existing machines to do it. I don't have any extra nVidia cards lying around, and for that matter only have 2 in my whole arsenal. :lol:

Maybe if no one knows then I will find time to investigate someday...

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,970 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

The GeForce 2 series is from 2000. My point is one must go further back tin time to reach times before 98 FE.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

The GeForce 2 series is from 2000. My point is one must go further back tin time to reach times before 98 FE.

I don't think you would need to go back that far to find a 95 compatible driver package. Windows 95 OSR2.x was supported by most drivers even after the official end of Microsoft support (12/31/01). Granted, not nearly as long as 98SE and ME, but it's not like one would have to go all the way back to 1997 to find compatible drivers. ;)

If this page is a reliable source, it looks like the place to begin is 66.94. (Noted this version specifically says "95/98/Me" whereas later versions say "9x/Me.")

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,970 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

If this page is a reliable source, it looks like the place to begin is 66.94. (Noted this version specifically says "95/98/Me" whereas later versions say "9x/Me.")

Right! I had in fact forgotten about that page, but it's bona-fide, of course!
However, the post quoted below, from a parallel thread, suggests perhaps the best overall choice may be 45.23...

I have used even older drivers with my GeForce 2 MX100. I have tried versions since 10.82 or something like it (don't remember second number exactly). Optimal one was 45.something. It gave about triple performance as the latest unoficial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users