Latest Video Cards For Windows 95?

Bracamonte

Many of these may be unrelated, but besides DCOM95, and DirectX8, I always install the Winsock2 update, the Windows 95 Y2K update, Dial-Up Networking 1.4, Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, and Windows Media Player 7 (or unofficial 7.1).

Should be able to get MSCONFIG from here...

Could'nt get IE5.5 to load and Windows Media player 7 said I need a newer version of windows. Installed winsock W95ws2setup.exe but still getting errors mysteriously. :}

Edited by Hoko

Could'nt get IE5.5 to load and Windows Media player 7 said I need a newer version of windows. Installed winsock W95ws2setup.exe but still getting errors mysteriously. :}

Get a full IE 5.5 SP2 package from here.

Official WMP 7.1 (mp71.exe) will not install on 95. MDGx had an unofficial version that fixed this, but it has vanished from his site. :(

I have it archived on another machine but not here. Go here to get version 7.0, which will complain, but install anyway. ;)

Not sure about the Winsock2 issue. Never had problems with it...

The onboard sound is working now and I successfully installed the Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256mb graphics card. :w00t: Is there a setting I need to change to use the addon card instead of the onboard video. Disable onboard video in Device Manager or change setting on the J1 video jumper? I have new settings in Display that must be from the card but dont know of any potential conflicts between the 2 graphics sources.

Oh, I do have a conflict in Device Manager on the onboard video. I'll just go ahead and disable it there.

Disabled onboard video, no conflicts in conflicting device list now.

Edited by Hoko

Gee, just to chime in... Didn't I completely describe that in your other thread?

You would have been MUCH safer sticking to the single Topic to resolve ALL of your Windows 95 "Several Questions". Heck, you even opened another thread in reference to CD-ROM Drivers!

Ta-ta!!!

Quotes from another thread, but my question fits better here.

Do try the nVidia drivers 77.72. But don't remove nVidia drivers with add/remove or unistall. Do it using the great freeware Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 (*NOT* Driver Cleaner .NET !!!). The Add/Remove applet or nVidia's own uninstallers don't do quite a perfect job in removing previous nVidia drivers, only Driver Cleaner Pro is able to remove them completely.

If you have time, read the full nVidia drivers 82.69, suddenly!. I'm sure you'll find it most instructive.

Both the 82.69 and the 81.98 drivers do not work OK with a a GeForce 2 MX (I shoulld know... I use an MX 400). You can get the 77.72 and/or even earlier drivers either here or here.

Regarding nVidia drivers - does anyone know which package version was the last to be 100% compatible with Windows 95 OSR2.x? By 100% compatible I mean a version where the nVidia Control Panel still worked as well.

I don't know but if I'm allowed to hazard a guess, I'd try 29.42-win9x-whql as a starting point. Guru3d has that one.

I think (hope? :angel ) that one would not have to go back that far, but it is always a possibility.

I would run such experiments myself, but I would have to disassemble and/or modify existing machines to do it. I don't have any extra nVidia cards lying around, and for that matter only have 2 in my whole arsenal. :lol:

Maybe if no one knows then I will find time to investigate someday...

The GeForce 2 series is from 2000. My point is one must go further back tin time to reach times before 98 FE.

I don't think you would need to go back that far to find a 95 compatible driver package. Windows 95 OSR2.x was supported by most drivers even after the official end of Microsoft support (12/31/01). Granted, not nearly as long as 98SE and ME, but it's not like one would have to go all the way back to 1997 to find compatible drivers. ;)

If this page is a reliable source, it looks like the place to begin is 66.94. (Noted this version specifically says "95/98/Me" whereas later versions say "9x/Me.")

If this page is a reliable source, it looks like the place to begin is 66.94. (Noted this version specifically says "95/98/Me" whereas later versions say "9x/Me.")

Right! I had in fact forgotten about that page, but it's bona-fide, of course!

However, the post quoted below, from a parallel thread, suggests perhaps the best overall choice may be 45.23...

I have used even older drivers with my GeForce 2 MX100. I have tried versions since 10.82 or something like it (don't remember second number exactly). Optimal one was 45.something. It gave about triple performance as the latest unoficial

Right! I had in fact forgotten about that page, but it's bona-fide, of course!

However, the post quoted below, from a parallel thread, suggests perhaps the best overall choice may be 45.23...

I have used even older drivers with my GeForce 2 MX100. I have tried versions since 10.82 or something like it (don't remember second number exactly). Optimal one was 45.something. It gave about triple performance as the latest unoficial

Probably this depends heavily on the system configuration where it is used, and how "old" the card is... note that M()zart is referring to performance of the older official driver version vs. a newer unofficial driver version for an "older" card. :unsure:

Personally, I see no reason (other than a bugfix of some sort) to use a later unofficial driver with a card that was already officially supported... I would only use the unofficial driver if it added support for a card which isn't supported by the official release. But, different strokes for different folks. :angel

I just finished archiving all of the packages and documentation from the nVidia page I linked. :thumbup

...You can get the 77.72 and/or even earlier drivers either here or here.

You don't happen to know of any such repositories for ATI Radeon driver packages, do you? :wub::lol:

Edited by LoneCrusader

You don't happen to know of any such repositories for ATI Radeon driver packages, do you? :wub::lol:

You mean... like this? :unsure:

:w00t:

Yeah something to that effect.. lol. Thanks!

Although from a quick glance it seems to be "long on the Vista/XP/2K files, short on the 9x files." :}

I will investigate further as soon as I can find the time. I will have to "decode" some of the file names, looks much messier than the nVidia packages. :wacko:

Edited by LoneCrusader

Ask and ye shall receive (already been there, done that)!

ftp://ftp.gostec.it/DRV/graphics%20card/ATI/
ftp://ftp.hercules.com/video/exe/AIW_Radeon_Series/
ftp://iso.se.netbsd.org/pub/games/PC/guru3d/ati/ <-guru3d
ftp://ftp3.se.freebsd.org/pub/games/PC/guru3d/ati/ <-a mirror
http://free.surmisoft.com/drv/vga/ati/
ftp://unassigned-11.168.14.72.net.blink.ca/Video%20Cards/ATI/
ftp://ftp.abc.kharkov.ua/pub/drv/Drivers/Archive/_DRV_.TMP/ATI%20CD2/
http://www.oldapps.com/ati.php
ftp://ftp.sanguine.net/pub/sahughes/drivers/radeon/ATI8.321A/ -OR-
http://ftp.sanguine.net/pub/sahughes/drivers/radeon/ATI8.321A/ -this Alternate-
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/392-ati-wonder-hacks.html

All of my stored links that i had previously dug up.

Have fun sorting through it. :w00t: