Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Latest Video Cards For Windows 95?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 811 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Right! I had in fact forgotten about that page, but it's bona-fide, of course!
However, the post quoted below, from a parallel thread, suggests perhaps the best overall choice may be 45.23...

I have used even older drivers with my GeForce 2 MX100. I have tried versions since 10.82 or something like it (don't remember second number exactly). Optimal one was 45.something. It gave about triple performance as the latest unoficial

Probably this depends heavily on the system configuration where it is used, and how "old" the card is... note that M()zart is referring to performance of the older official driver version vs. a newer unofficial driver version for an "older" card. :unsure:

Personally, I see no reason (other than a bugfix of some sort) to use a later unofficial driver with a card that was already officially supported... I would only use the unofficial driver if it added support for a card which isn't supported by the official release. But, different strokes for different folks. :angel

I just finished archiving all of the packages and documentation from the nVidia page I linked. :thumbup

...You can get the 77.72 and/or even earlier drivers either here or here.

You don't happen to know of any such repositories for ATI Radeon driver packages, do you? :wub: :lol:

Edited by LoneCrusader, 29 April 2013 - 09:58 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,866 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

You don't happen to know of any such repositories for ATI Radeon driver packages, do you? :wub: :lol:

You mean... like this? :unsure:

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 811 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

You mean... like this? :unsure:

:w00t:

Yeah something to that effect.. lol. Thanks!

Although from a quick glance it seems to be "long on the Vista/XP/2K files, short on the 9x files." :}

I will investigate further as soon as I can find the time. I will have to "decode" some of the file names, looks much messier than the nVidia packages. :wacko:

Edited by LoneCrusader, 29 April 2013 - 10:29 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,282 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Ask and ye shall receive (already been there, done that)!
ftp://ftp.gostec.it/DRV/graphics%20card/ATI/
ftp://ftp.hercules.com/video/exe/AIW_Radeon_Series/
ftp://iso.se.netbsd.org/pub/games/PC/guru3d/ati/ <-guru3d
ftp://ftp3.se.freebsd.org/pub/games/PC/guru3d/ati/ <-a mirror
http://free.surmisoft.com/drv/vga/ati/
ftp://unassigned-11.168.14.72.net.blink.ca/Video%20Cards/ATI/
ftp://ftp.abc.kharkov.ua/pub/drv/Drivers/Archive/_DRV_.TMP/ATI%20CD2/
http://www.oldapps.com/ati.php
ftp://ftp.sanguine.net/pub/sahughes/drivers/radeon/ATI8.321A/     -OR-
http://ftp.sanguine.net/pub/sahughes/drivers/radeon/ATI8.321A/  -this Alternate-
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/392-ati-wonder-hacks.html
All of my stored links that i had previously dug up.
Have fun sorting through it. :w00t:

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 811 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Ask and ye shall receive (already been there, done that)!
All of my stored links that i had previously dug up.
Have fun sorting through it. :w00t:

The more the merrier. :yes: Thanks!

Comos

Comos

Junior

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 03-February 09
If there is a way to run a GF6200 on our good old Win9X, any idea how to enable the hardware acceleration for videos? The GF6 series supports the first generation (although accoring the the NVidia notes,the GF4 series support some also), but better than nothing....

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 811 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

If there is a way to run a GF6200 on our good old Win9X, any idea how to enable the hardware acceleration for videos? The GF6 series supports the first generation (although accoring the the NVidia notes,the GF4 series support some also), but better than nothing....

According to this page, the last 9x drivers have "Support for the GeForce 6 series GPUs"

As for the rest of your question, I'm not experienced with nVidia, so maybe someone else can help you. ;)

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 811 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Regarding nVidia drivers - does anyone know which package version was the last to be 100% compatible with Windows 95 OSR2.x? By 100% compatible I mean a version where the nVidia Control Panel still worked as well.

If this page is a reliable source, it looks like the place to begin is 66.94. (Noted this version specifically says "95/98/Me" whereas later versions say "9x/Me.")

Now, after Multi-Quoting myself ... :wacko:

I present another quote from a well-informed member that all of us have somehow overlooked. In the event I have the opportinity to verify this or my earlier guess, I will just update this post with the answer to my original question.

Hmmm .....

Do these unofficial drivers work with Windows 95? Has anyone tried?

Not yet and no plans either ... If my mind is not too hazy, I believe the last that works on w95 out-of-the-box would be 61.76 but that was many moons ago the last I tested ... If I'm not mistaken above 66.94 has cpl api issues ...

The last 9x NVidia release supports AGP cards in Win95, apparently:
http://www.nvidia.co...in9x_81.98.html

Is there any reason to think that Win95 support is broken by 82.69?

Apparently ..... but highly probable only the driver sub-system will still work if at all ...

The highest that I got to work properly on w95 was 77.72 ... driver sub-system (VxDs) will work fine but certain modules like control panel uses win98 api and those need patching ... However, I do believe 82.69 will also work if we remove cpl modules ...

Rgds

EDIT:

The last version of nVidia drivers FULLY compatible with Windows 95 is version 56.64. Later driver versions (actual display driver itself) including the final 81.98 work but have errors with the nVidia Control Panel.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 11 May 2013 - 02:02 AM.

Comos

Comos

Junior

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 03-February 09
Now, after Multi-Quoting myself ... :wacko:

:lol:

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 811 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Regarding nVidia drivers - does anyone know which package version was the last to be 100% compatible with Windows 95 OSR2.x? By 100% compatible I mean a version where the nVidia Control Panel still worked as well.

EDIT:

The last version of nVidia drivers FULLY compatible with Windows 95 is version 56.64. Later driver versions (actual display driver itself) including the final 81.98 work but have errors with the nVidia Control Panel.

OK. That's finally solved. :angel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN