Window 7 Score

rickytheanuj

Before when i was using my windows 7 without graphic card, the basic score of my windows was 3.2, which was the lowest score of subscore (i.e Gaming mode).

After installing NVIDIA geforce 9400 GT 500MB graphic card the "Gaming mode" subscore raised to 5.9 but still determined lowest score of my pc is 3.2, n now the lowest subscore is Desktop performance of windows aero which was 3.3 before installation of graphic card.

I don't get it why after upgrate the score of my windows 7 is stll low.

except that, processor and ram scored 5.1 and primary hard drive score 5.9

so what is the main cause of this scoring issue.

Configuration:

Before-

RAM=3gb ddr2

processor= core 2 duo 4400

HDD = WD 500GB

Motherboard = MSI g31

after-

RAM = 2gb ddr3

Processor = core 2 duo 4400

HDD = wd 500gb

Motherboard = MSI g41

Graphic card = NVIDIA Ge-force 9400GT 512mb

installing NVIDIA geforce 9400 GT 500MB graphic card

That's your answer. It's because it's an old-ish, slow video card: 128-bit GDDR2 memory @ 400MHz and 16 stream processors. Intel video on new CPUs is faster than that. It's somewhat faster than the onboard video you had before but the main advantage is that it doesn't suck your computer's memory for video now.

Compare it to a modern middle-low-end card like the GTS 250 ($60 at my usual store) which has 256-bit GDDR3 memory @ 1100MHz and 128 stream processors... or even my current video card, a Radeon 4850 (2 generations behind) which has 256-bit GDDR3 memory @ 993MHz and 800 stream processors (its WEI is 5.9 for graphics and 6.6 for gaming graphics)... And I'm not comparing to fancy gamer's cards here, like the Radeon 6870 ($170 or so) with 256-bit GDDR5 memory @ 4200MHz and 1120 shader processors. Edit: even the $20 video card (Radeon 5450) in my HTPC beats it.

TL;DR: slow cards rate low.

or even my current video card, a Radeon 4850 (2 generations behind) which has 256-bit GDDR3 memory @ 993MHz and 800 stream processors (its WEI is 5.9 for graphics and 6.6 for gaming graphics)...

Should be 7.2 to 7.4 ;), the GTS250 will get you 7.0 to 7.1.

Should be 7.2 to 7.4 ;)

You're right yet again! I updated my ancient drivers (so old the version number was probably a negative number) to 10.10 preview 3 and refreshed. Got 7.2 and 7.2 now:

v9RLb.png

Still not bad for a 4 year old build I guess (I'll be upgrading to Ivy Bridge whenever it's out, and probably with a pair of decent 120GB SSDs in RAID0)

What? No SSD? :P:lol: I would not RAID, just get a better SSD. I have just a simple Kingston 64GB (more than enough for my needs) and I get a WEI of 7.2. Bought also a AMD X6 1055T for 95USD shipped, new, from eBay, WHOHOO!! :w00t:

Those HD4850 cards are not that bad at all. :yes

What? No SSD?

Soon... But I might as well wait until I upgrade. Too much hassle otherwise, especially with an update coming soon and little spare time at the moment.

I would not RAID, just get a better SSD

120GB doesn't cut it for me, even as an "OS and apps" drive (no games). Half-decent 120GB sandforce models (OCZ, Corsair, etc) are ~$150, and 240GB models (Crucial m4 256GB, OCZ Vertex 240GB, etc) are like $450+ which is more than I'm willing to spend on SSDs unfortunately (more like $250). RAID0 is cheaper for sure, and as a bonus it's a lot faster than a single 120GB SSD. Sounds like win-win to me!

the GTS250 will get you 7.0 to 7.1

Almost?

It so happens that I have a GTS 250 in my work PC. With the latest drivers:

ESul2.png

Still not bad for card that was like $60 (and that came with a $20 MIR too iirc). Sure beats the onboard Intel video when it comes to OpenGL apps!

Is this score important? It gives scores so that we know which component needs upgrading, right? Some people told me this score is just for fun when I ask about it! On Win 8, I have the base score of 4.9, whereas it says 5.1 on Win 7. It has already had Aero effect after the first boot into Win 8 so I don't install any graphic driver for it. Maybe it is the reason.

Some people told me this score is just for fun when I ask about it!

It is just for fun. I don't think I've seen any sort of research done to show that the WEI Score is directly related to performance... or that WEI would ever replace benchmark tests. In other words it is just a general indicator of what you have. And of course gaming graphics get higher scores than workstation graphics, and as CoffeeFiend points out, you can get a higher score with a $60 video card than I get with a more expensive card, such as the one I have in my work PC.

you can get a higher score with a $60 video card than I get with a more expensive card, such as the one I have in my work PC.

Er... what is it? Can you post your score? Here is mine, just for fun as you said!

--------------------------

Edit: deleting image

Edited by Aloha

It is just for fun.

I don't agree. I think it gives decent (but basic) idea of how fast a computer you have. A computer with a slow CPU or slow GPU or slow disk or such will show lower scores in the respective entries, and faster PCs will score higher. No, it's not a good indicator of things like "how many FPS will I get in game XYZ" but I don't think it was ever intended to be something like that either (and I think that's what most people seem to have against it).

I don't think I've seen any sort of research done to show that the WEI Score is directly related to performance...

The score is directly derived from a benchmark of the components, so it is exactly that, a (non-perfect) indication of the said parts' performance. I'm not sure what more you're expecting?

or that WEI would ever replace benchmark tests

Nothing will replace specialized benchmarks for specific tasks. But WEI will give you a good idea how the computer will perform at most general tasks.

you can get a higher score with a $60 video card than I get with a more expensive card, such as the one I have in my work PC.

More expensive doesn't mean it has higher performance either... I wonder what card that is (knowing would probably solve that mystery)

Er... what is it? Can you post your score? Here is mine, just for fun as you said!

More expensive doesn't mean it has higher performance either... I wonder what card that is (knowing would probably solve that mystery)

We have a topic about those, so I'd not derail this topic into a "share your score" thread. I considered pinning it but there are already so many pinned topics.