Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

netcat compile fedora 9

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

helpdesk98

helpdesk98

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
I am taking a security class and we are playing with the netcat tool. I was reading online that the version that comes with the OS dose not have full features. So I looked for the tar ball on the Cd that came with my book (nc110.tgz) I extracted it to my PWD and I made the appropriate changes to the make file. The last command I am supposed to run is make (unix flavor). This is were I fail I tried to enter "make fedora" it errors out. I looked through the make file for other flavors thinking that fedora might go by a different name, but I have not found anything that works. Any ideas?

thanks helpdesk98

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
Post the output of the "make" command. Also did you run a ./configure before ?

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,680 posts

Donator

One thing is that the original netcat is, I believe, mostly stale now. There are many variants including CyptCat and SOCat.

Here is a popular opinion: http://sectools.org/netcats.html

endlessness

endlessness

for large values of 5

• 21 posts
Probably netcat is already available in the repositories of your distro... However, Fedora 9 is quite old now.

helpdesk98

helpdesk98

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
I the book I was using missed a step when editing the configuration files. To compile the latest netcat for fedora you have to run make linux, but it will not work without being configured properly. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN