Ethernet ADSL modem and W2k

Hi you all, easy questions for you...

I consider replacing my USB modem by an Ethernet one. I have 512kb/s ADSL (maybe more in the future, but maybe not) and W2k.

Do I understand properly that the modem itself needs no driver, hence runs on any OS capable of talking Ethernet? That is, the operation may need a driver for the Ethernet port, but that's all.

Then, I like to connect the Internet only when I need it - I like especially to have it off at bootup. I believe to understand the computer and the modem build a small Ethernet network; can I tell W2k to keep the network off, or the port closed, at bootup?

Will the modem always establish the connection with the access provider, needing little time to open the Ethernet link when I request it?

...is a closed Ethernet port any safe against subtle malware, or shall I disconnect the cable?

And: are some modems better than others in Ethernet ADSL?

Thank you!

Let me get this straight...

You have a USB-connected ADSL Modem (drivers required)

You want to use an Ethernet-connected ADSL Modem.

Ethernet Modems do not require drivers - the connect to your PC's Network Card (which need drivers). In either case, you will always be "on" (AFAIK). I have a NIC-connected Cable Modem and just press the "Standby" button. In your, case, I would assume you just "turn it off". However, many ADSL "modems" also have a built-in router (configurable for incoming blocks; a firewall). It all depends on the model your ISP provides (ask first). You might want to get a Software Firewall if it doesn't. Check into one of the (many) firewall threads for more info.

Thanks Submix8c!

I don't even remember what sort of modem my internet access provider gave - if he did so. I've already changed it anyway.

As for the firewall, I'm already equipped, and the function a modem or router calls firewall can't replace the software.

My current Usb modem can be set "on" or "off" by software and can be tuned to "off" at boot up. Though, I doubt this software "off" really stops a serious malware, and I unplug the Usb when I need some more privacy. Anyway, I'd like to have this behaviour from an Ethernet modem, including at boot up..

More opinions please?

As said already, Ethernet modems will work as any network device, they need no device drivers.

But most ones have a power button (at least the one that my phone company provided has), or as a last resort you can just unplug the power cord or the network cable from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Typing here through my Netgear DG834 v2, and after a short use, I'm very pleased with it.

Configuration has been swift and easy. In essence, I had to type an identification and pass for my access provider, everything else went without intervention. Even better, this function runs in the modem, outside Windows, so it doesn't produce insanities from a non-admin session. The user's manual covers from Win 3.11 and Nt 3.51 to Xp, plus Mac, Linux - my bet is that it runs with Seven as easily. Sure, I could have made subtleties with the firewall, wasting more time.

Webpages are responsive again. Very unclear to me. Browsing had become slow with my Usb Adsl modem; I ignore the reason - except malware of course. Both Avast and Comodo jiggle when data passes through the Ethernet modem, so they've noticed the change spontaneously and filter as they should.

Establishing the Adsl link and connecting with the provider is as slow as previously. However, establishing the Ethernet link with the computer is very fast, and suppressing it keeps the Adsl running, excellent solution.

- I consider the software on-off at the Ethernet link is uneffective against malware. What do you think?

- Would you know a mechanical switch button for Ethernet? I mean, just like a light switch? One that no software can operate?

That would be even better than unplugging the Ethernet cable - something perfect.

Configuration has been swift and easy. In essence, I had to type an identification and pass for my access provider, everything else went without intervention. Even better, this function runs in the modem, outside Windows, so it doesn't produce insanities from a non-admin session. The user's manual covers from Win 3.11 and Nt 3.51 to Xp, plus Mac, Linux - my bet is that it runs with Seven as easily. Sure, I could have made subtleties with the firewall, wasting more time.

It will work with any operating system as long as it supports your NIC; the modem is just another network device within your network.

- I consider the software on-off at the Ethernet link is uneffective against malware. What do you think?

- Would you know a mechanical switch button for Ethernet? I mean, just like a light switch? One that no software can operate?

That would be even better than unplugging the Ethernet cable - something perfect.

Conceivably, malware could toggle the network connection on and off, but I don't know any which does that. I don't know of a mechanical switch for Ethernet, though.

Try a power strip or in-line extension cord switch. ;)