Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Mental Disorder and Stigma

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11
I am curious, apart from Malaysia and China, how would the public from the rest of the worldd view those mentally ill, especially in developed lands?

In China, as from what I understood from the schizophrenic over there, unemployment among the mentally ill are high, and to my surprise, employers list NO mentally disabled as one of the criteria in their job ads! I am surprise because it does not, al least until now, happen in my mother country, Malaysia.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ScrewUpgrading

ScrewUpgrading

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11
At least in China they will tell you to your face that your unwanted. Score one for China.

Over here, we like to sugar coat everything.

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11

At least in China they will tell you to your face that your unwanted. Score one for China.

Over here, we like to sugar coat everything.

:thumbup and :blink:

I understand better now. I can't tell which is the better way.

ScrewUpgrading

ScrewUpgrading

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11
I don't know which is better either. But I presume that China's blunt, "heartless" method probably saves everyone's time, if nothing else. Think about it, you never have to apply to the same place twice.

Think of all the wasted effort that people put into things in America. If only they knew that they were ugly, unattractive, and creepy looking, they might stop trying to get a job working with the public. Instead, they'd be more suited to Janitor, or Garbage Man, or Septic Tank pumper. Or ditch digger. Or dish washer. Or guinea pig for the drug companies.

^ I'd take any of those jobs in a heartbeat however, except drug company "guinea pig".

Edited by ScrewUpgrading, 13 November 2011 - 07:21 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,394 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
I cannot really see the connection between a mentally ill and his/her looks. :unsure:

jaclaz

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11

I don't know which is better either. But I presume that China's blunt, "heartless" method probably saves everyone's time, if nothing else. Think about it, you never have to apply to the same place twice.

Maybe with the populous citizens in China, employers can easily seek for suitable candidates.

Think of all the wasted effort that people put into things in America. If only they knew that they were ugly, unattractive, and creepy looking, they might stop trying to get a job working with the public. Instead, they'd be more suited to Janitor, or Garbage Man, or Septic Tank pumper. Or ditch digger. Or dish washer. Or guinea pig for the drug companies.

It is quite true. I think it is not about honesty under such circumstances, it is more about a friendlier approach.

^ I'd take any of those jobs in a heartbeat however, except drug company "guinea pig".

Do you mean volunteers who are paid to try out new drugs?

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11

I cannot really see the connection between a mentally ill and his/her looks. :unsure:

We can't tell one's mental condition from his or her looks unless odd behaviour or disorganized speech is observed.

For your information, I am one of them. :blushing:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,394 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

For your information, I am one of them. :blushing:

You mean a mentally affected or the "ugly, unattractive, and creepy looking" Screwupgrading was talking about?

Also, "mental condition" may mean everything and the opposite of it.
And NO, I don't want to know which particular illness (being it mental or physical) you might be suffering from, I don't think this (MSFN) is the right place to talk about such conditions.

jaclaz

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11

I don't think this (MSFN) is the right place to talk about such conditions.

Do you have any suggestions?

ScrewUpgrading

ScrewUpgrading

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11
I never said all people with mental disorders are ugly.

I was merely suggesting that Americans are more prone to blind optimism and self-delusion in regards to their lot in life. Whereas in China, they blatantly discriminate against anyone perceived as being "different" or "mentally ill."

I probably should've worded that differently.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading, 13 November 2011 - 06:05 PM.

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11

I never said all people with mental disorders are ugly.

I was merely suggesting that Americans are more prone to blind optimism and self-delusion in regards to their lot in life. Whereas in China, they blatantly discriminate against anyone perceived as being "different" or "mentally ill."

I probably should've worded that differently.

I see the connection behind it. I did not misunderstand your words.

May I share your comments with that schizophrenic message board in China? They are going to set up an English message board so that we (just like this thread) can exchange information about mental disorders. Your view is valuable to me from the perspective of the society with diverse backgrounds just like America.

I really am glad that you share this with me (and with us, later on) :)

ScrewUpgrading

ScrewUpgrading

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11
Sure, go ahead.

Just let me add a little disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. My opinion is my own and not anybody else's here at MSFN. I don't represent MSFN.

Consult your doctor if you have real medical problems.

(There, just some legal mumbo jumbo to stop the lawyers.)

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11

Sure, go ahead.

Just let me add a little disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. My opinion is my own and not anybody else's here at MSFN. I don't represent MSFN.

Consult your doctor if you have real medical problems.

(There, just some legal mumbo jumbo to stop the lawyers.)

Thank you, ScrewUpgrading.

You are so humorous.

ScrewUpgrading

ScrewUpgrading

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11
:)

FlierMate

FlierMate

End User

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 12-November 11

:)

Thank you very much for your opinions.

Now, the English section of the message board is up.
I have copy and paste your valuable opinions to there.

Mental Disorder and Stigma: China and America

e-t-c

e-t-c

WHS 2003 SP2

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 13-March 06
hmm - look at "YousTupe" - the Mental Mocker Fans are everywhere - fear & crime anytime
cRappers delight & deaf-crash-mental rocker-schmockers, sick-attitude-bachelors .. etc.

aaaahhhhh ... ;'(

Edited by e-t-c, 16 November 2011 - 01:00 AM.

... to exercise patience - and beside learning to l(i)(o)(ea)ving (at the right time) ^L^...

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,814 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

One can look to cartoons at least, often a character that is "criminally insane" or "mentally deranged" or some other type of person with some sort of mental illness is often depicted as either extremely ugly or with some odd trait such as twitching, slurred speech or drooling. You can even see it in comic books where villians described as "insane" or "psychotic" often have some physical deformity, such as the Joker or Two-Face from Batman.

As for why this stereotype was started, I couldn't say. Possibly because you wouldn't want to hang out with an ugly person, and you don't want to hang out with a murderer or criminal?

Why it still exists... well some things just keep with time, such as rabbits eating carrots.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,864 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I think Lombroso's theory of the "born criminal" has something to do with it. He proposed it at the end of the 19th century, and it became hugely popular. It has been recognized as bogus science for a long time already, but remains strong in the popular imaginary.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,394 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Well, correlating the current "standard" for beauty (movie stars) with actual density of psychiatrists/psichoanalysts in the Los Angeles/Hollywood area, one could come to the conclusion that real life is different from comic books. :whistle:

There is here a small list of famous peple (admittedly not all beautiful/handsome) that are said to have suffered from various forms of mental ilnesses:
http://www.mentalhea...amouspeople.pdf

I would say that in real life - set apart those traits that are a consequence of an illness (such as drooling, or trembling as an example) - there is no correlation between uglyness and mental illness.

Lombroso's theories were an early attempt to show that some particular physical traits, not necessarily "uglyness" were common among criminals and un-common among "good people".
Besides some bias in the actual researches he conducted, one has to take into account WHERE they were taken and WHEN.

We are talking of the second half of the 19th century in a country where communications, food, education and more generally welfare of the average people were very scarce or non-existing at all.

In those years, in some rural zones of the country, the average tallness of population was likely to be below 1.50 mt (around 5' ), there was not a common language, analphabetism was around 80%, the people inside jails (which must have not been such a pleasant place in themselves) were likely to be belonging to the poorest of the poor, not really a big surprise that the scientist found that those subjects belonged to a subhuman race.

More generally Lombroso's theories fall in the "trend" of physiognomy:
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Physiognomy
and phrenology:
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Phrenology
that both had quite a bit of diffusion in the 19th and early 20th century.
Curiously enough Lombroso's theories had much more success overseas in the US than in Italy :w00t:, this probably influenced the comic books which were mostly originated there :unsure: .

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 16 November 2011 - 11:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN