Diskpart error

So, with thanks to the people in my last thread I've finally got the start of the system build Automated. However I'm having trouble with diskpart. I've using an Adaptec 5405 raid controller and tried a Raid 1 & Raid 5 setup. Using the adaptec command line tools I'm able to detect how many disk are connect to the raid controller and create the appropriate array. Once this is created the system reboot and then detects the array and run's a disk part script.

This is the point where I'm getting problems, no matter if I use a diskpart script or type in the command line I'm getting the following error.

DISKPART> create partition primary size=100

Virtual Disk Service error:

The operation timed out.

DiskPart has referenced an object which is not up-to-date.

Refresh the object by using the RESCAN command.

If the problem persists exit DiskPart, then restart DiskPart or restart the

computer.

DISKPART>

I've manually tried to start the VDS service and it starts fine with no errors

I've then tried to rerun diskpart but I get the same error

Create the disk during windows install works fine

So, with thanks to the people in my last thread I've finally got the start of the system build Automated. However I'm having trouble with diskpart. I've using an Adaptec 5405 raid controller and tried a Raid 1 & Raid 5 setup. Using the adaptec command line tools I'm able to detect how many disk are connect to the raid controller and create the appropriate array. Once this is created the system reboot and then detects the array and run's a disk part script.

This is the point where I'm getting problems, no matter if I use a diskpart script or type in the command line I'm getting the following error.

Shoudn't you before issuing:

Issue (optionally):

DISKPART> LIST DISKS 

and select (compulsory) one BEFORE?

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/en-us

jaclaz

Sorry should have said, I have already run the following command "select disk 0" and run the "clean" command

They run without error.

No prob, but in order to (hopefully) understand what is happening, please post the WHOLE sequence from the beginning to the point where you get the error and do run:

LIST DISKS

and after having selected each disk with

SELECT DISK n

do run (and post output):

DETAIL DISK

Additionally, what happens if you actually run the RESCAN command? :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks for the reply.

After more mucking around, I've realised I've made a complete hash of things and have started from scratch.

My error was to edit the registry, rather than creating a Winpeshl.ini file

So I've not created a Winpeshl.ini file and diskpart is working fine however I'm now stuck on the formatting of the Winpeshl.ini.

I just want it to run startnet.cmd and once processed start the windows installer.

The file only has the following entry

[LaunchApps]

%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\startnet.cmd

After the startnet.cmd file runs it reboot the machine! what do I need to get it to continue the installation?

Edited by lamaii

[LaunchApps]

%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\startnet.cmd

This is completely silly! If the winpeshl.ini is blank (empty) and the startnet.cmd is not, startnet.cmd will execute by default. :rolleyes:

Found out I should be running the setup.exe in the sources folder, all is now working well

Yes I ran into that problem before. I never figured out why there are two setup.exe in there.

This is completely silly! If the winpeshl.ini is blank (empty) and the startnet.cmd is not, startnet.cmd will execute by default. :rolleyes:

Things you learn everyday, I'm just starting to make changes to the boot.wim and with XP being simple I figured Win7 would be the same (Skipped Vista thank...) but I think a little more reading is reqired.

Google is a fine search tool but there is a lot of incurrent information, even microsoft have a fair amount of bad information, it's why I joined a forum like this. It cuts out the BS.

Edited by lamaii

With the diskpart in WinPE 3.0 and onward, the equivalent of Rescan is run more than just the time of boot. I found this the hard way when I tried porting my XP recovery partition. The only time you'd need to run /rescan is if you are swapping devices, such as using a card reader or hot-plugging a SATA drive.

Things you learn everyday, I'm just starting to make changes to the boot.wim and with XP being simple I figured Win7 would be the same (Skipped Vista thank...) but I think a little more reading is reqired.

This was a major problem for many companies that I deal with at least. Since many skipped Vista (didn't even try it) it was a shock going to Windows 7. Having XP Downgrade Rights extended didn't help either.

With the diskpart in WinPE 3.0 and onward, the equivalent of Rescan is run more than just the time of boot. I found this the hard way when I tried porting my XP recovery partition. The only time you'd need to run /rescan is if you are swapping devices, such as using a card reader or hot-plugging a SATA drive.

And... ? :unsure:

WHAT is the point you are trying to make?

OP mentioned this:

Virtual Disk Service error:

The operation timed out.

DiskPart has referenced an object which is not up-to-date.

Refresh the object by using the RESCAN command.

If the problem persists exit DiskPart, then restart DiskPart or restart the

computer.

DISKPART>

I've manually tried to start the VDS service and it starts fine with no errors

I've then tried to rerun diskpart but I get the same error

Which suggests THREE courses of action:

1. Refresh the object by using the RESCAN command.
  2. exit DiskPart, then restart DiskPart
  3. restart the computer

of which seemingly only #2 was tested.

It seems to me only natural to ask WHAT happens WHEN suggestion #1 is performed, I would agree with you if you say that most MS error messages are mis-leading, unconnected with the actual issue or just plainly wrong :ph34r:, but in a few cases they actually suggest you the right thing to do.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

And... ? :unsure:

WHAT is the point you are trying to make?

jaclaz

I figured I'd just toss it into the thread as an afterthought, as something that could be referenced later if need be, since it was related to the topic AND the issue had been resolved. :whistle:

of which seemingly only #2 was tested.

It seems to me only natural to ask WHAT happens WHEN suggestion #1 is performed, I would agree with you if you say that most MS error messages are mis-leading, unconnected with the actual issue or just plainly wrong :ph34r:, but in a few cases they actually suggest you the right thing to do.

jaclaz

I tested all three and none of them worked. As stated in my post I was causing the error by my lack of fully understanding of the wim environment.

...., since it was related to the topic AND the issue had been resolved. :whistle:

Yep :), BTW an issue for which we have NO idea WHAT was the cause, let alone the solution finally found by the OP.... :blink:

:hello:

jaclaz

It was cause by changing the "HKLM\SYTEM\Setup\Cmdline" system registry and removing winpeshl.exe and replacing it with startnet.cmd. Very stupid mistake on my part.

Edited by lamaii

@lamaii

As said, no problem whatsoever :), and happy you found the culprit. :thumbup

What you cannot possibly know (but that Trip very well does) is my obsession :w00t: with having whenever possible a thread that goes along a storyboard like this:

1. OP asks help about a problem/issue he has, including ALL needed info along the Standard Litany:
    http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html
  2. some good guys suggest steps to find out what causes the problem and/or what the solution could be
  3. these suggested steps are actually executed by the OP AND the exact results of these tests are posted
  4. after one or more iterations of steps #2 and #3, a solution is found and the thread may become useful to some other peeps having the same issue as OP had

You managed yourself to get the solution (i.e. to step #4) and now you also posted what the actual cause happened to be, so everything is fine and dandy.

jaclaz